Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    His original costume is still the best. Maybe I’m just been nostalgic but to me he never looked more powerful than when he had his original look.I also liked the headgear and the illuminated goggles which gave him a more mysterious menacing look.

The red Safari suit will always be one of his worst along with the red and Green onesie with the back jet pack that was created by Al Milgrom.
    The red jacket only worked when Perez drew him -- because Perez can make even the worst designs look good. Admitttedly, his outfit that debuted in Avengers 161 is a bit crazy -- but I loved it. Looking back, I do agree that his first was his best. The black leotards were too generic.

Mighty Member

RCO015_1582581640.jpg

Do I remember people say that sentence.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. I also love the helmet/goggles look, along with the infinity symbols around his abdomen
    I’ve heard that the symbols/patterns around his abs and midriff was one of the reasons that the original was abandoned and never returned to. Artists just found it too fiddly to draw especially when in battle poses.

I’ve heard that the symbols/patterns around his abs and midriff was one of the reasons that the original was abandoned and never returned to. Artists just found it too fiddly to draw especially when in battle poses.
    But that was the easiest to do---almost like lazy sloppy "s". They could have left that off if it meant keeping the costume.

I think it is time for Simon to re-emerge into the books and with a new costume design and colors.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    In agreement with you about a friendship between Thor & Simon. Hopefully, it'll be better than this incident...

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    When drawn "correctly" as shown above, it does look good, but no, I never liked it. It really is not a costume. Although it does look better than a few other choices of Simon.
    Yeah, The problem is that not everyone does it well, and in the wrong hands, it's kind of bland. Look at Sal Buscema's attempt above. he didn't even make the pockets W shaped. and in a previous issue he even forgot to give him the red boots.

His original costume is still the best. Maybe I’m just been nostalgic but to me he never looked more powerful than when he had his original look.I also liked the headgear and the illuminated goggles which gave him a more mysterious menacing look.
    I agree. The original is my favorite. in second comes the blue and red that he wore in the first issues of the West Coast Avengers mag. IMHO, it's more dignified, than the black and red version of it that Milgrom tried to replace his back jet-pack onesie christmas tree monstruosity with, and that he wore through most of the rest of the series. Plus, he still wore the glasses. I never liked much Simon without the glasses (or mask and googles, in the case of the original).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have always liked the costume from Avengers #161
    Attachment 107023
    I liked it, but I think it'd had been sooooooo much better if George had only switched the red to the center of the diamond and the dark green to cover the abbs. The way it was done, was just too wierd for me.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Ugh I hate all of the costumes with green. Any variation of the red/black jumpsuit is my favorite - even the extremely pouched out Force Works version! The safari jacket and purple energy looks being tied for second.

I also liked this one. I like the black and red costume George Perez gave him in the Busiek run, but I don't like the energy look. I prefer when his simply flies on his own, like in this one.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yeah, The problem is that not everyone does it well, and in the wrong hands, it's kind of bland. Look at Sal Buscema's attempt above. he didn't even make the pockets W shaped. and in a previous issue he even forgot to give him the red boots.
    Simon's wrist bands also an issue. Are they red above or just absent and that is his sleeve (red)? Sometimes they were gold, other times silver. While I didn't mind either gold or silver, I did mind the inconsistency.

I agree. The original is my favorite. in second comes the blue and red that he wore in the first issues of the West Coast Avengers mag. IMHO, it's more dignified, than the black and red version of it that Milgrom tried to replace his back jet-pack onesie christmas tree monstruosity with, and that he wore through most of the rest of the series. Plus, he still wore the glasses. I never liked much Simon without the glasses (or mask and googles, in the case of the original).
    Yes, Simon needs a dignified costume. Otherwise, he will stay in D-Lister Jobber land.

I liked it, but I think it'd had been sooooooo much better if George had only switched the red to the center of the diamond and the dark green to cover the abbs. The way it was done, was just too wierd for me. Peace
    Maybe you could color that so we can see it?

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have always liked the costume from Avengers #161
    Attachment 107023
    Me too! a lot of fans didn't like how bright it was. I met George Perez at a Con several years back, and he said the same thing. "I wish I'd have toned down the red and green a bit, I made him look like a Christmas Tree!" He was a great guy to talk to btw. By far the friendliest creator I've ever met. I got a sketch done from him of that costume for Simon. I'll post it if I can figure out how.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Me too! a lot of fans didn't like how bright it was. I met George Perez at a Con several years back, and he said the same thing. "I wish I'd have toned down the red and green a bit, I made him look like a Christmas Tree!" He was a great guy to talk to btw. By far the friendliest creator I've ever met. I got a sketch done from him of that costume for Simon. I'll post it if I can figure out how.
    I would like to see it. Did he tone down the colors for you?

Incredible Member

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...unds&crop=fill
    Also found a pic of this custom statue on statueforum a while back. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...unds&crop=fill
    Also found a pic of this custom statue on statueforum a while back. Very cool!
    This is very nice.

I would love that look and musculature with Simon original costume.

Now we talkin'! Even has the infinity "S" designs!

Incredible Member

That's the Bowen Designs WM bust. There were 4 different ones done by that company. There's also a Safari Jacket, Black and red, and Ionic version.