Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Still my favorite Avenger, despite Marvel's insistence of mistreating him for the past 25 yrs . One of my favorite looks was also one of his most short-lived:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Another shot, and it's painted counterpart:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Still my favorite Avenger, despite Marvel's insistence of mistreating him for the past 25 yrs . One of my favorite looks was also one of his most short-lived:

He’s still my favorite Avenger too and I wish he got some shine! This costume was great and his solo series was so good!! Where would you like to see Simon today? I’d love a solo series

Extraordinary Member

I'd like to see Simon & Vision try to reconnect. As a kid, I liked the thought of them being "twins".

Byrne wrecked it, but Busiek brought it back.

As much as I love the Simon/Wanda/Vision triangle and all of the drama that came with it, I'd like to see future writers move on. It's been milked, and I don't think there's much left to be said.

It's also something that in the mind of many readers, holds Simon back. Vizh and Wanda have been used to great effect without Simon in the mix, but I feel like a lot of readers still immediately associate Simon with the love triangle/soap opera and it's a turn off for them.

I know it's highly unlikely that we'll get a Wonder Man series again in my lifetime, but I wish a writer liked him enough to include him on a team book as more than a temporary plot device. It seems like no one has any interest in actually developing him. The pacifist thing was interesting for about 5 mins, but Remender saddled him with that and then left him there. Ewing and Zub gave him a little attention, but nothing worth writing home about.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Astonishing Member

Don't Miss Force Works #1!

Yes, please do miss that mess of a series. Simon was killed off and wouldn't return until Busiek's Avengers. Also -- Century and the Wanda in a horrible new costume (if it can even be called that).

It seems like they do not know how to write Simon well into stories today, as if they do not know what to do with him and all his powers.

Simon also seems to have been passed over in favor of new characters like King Hyperion, Sentry and Blue Marvel---who they themselves, have many powers and similar ones to Simon. Not that they all have series or that they appear regularly, but what I mean is that it seems like they have been made into the "now" characters while Simon has been shuffled into the background.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 01-07-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Don't Miss Force Works #1!

Yes, please do miss that mess of a series. Simon was killed off and wouldn't return until Busiek's Avengers. Also -- Century and the Wanda in a horrible new costume (if it can even be called that).
    It took many years, but I can actually go back and read Force Works without hating it now. It's very 90's, but hey at least Simon did get to save the day!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    As much as I love the Simon/Wanda/Vision triangle and all of the drama that came with it, I'd like to see future writers move on. It's been milked, and I don't think there's much left to be said.

It's also something that in the mind of many readers, holds Simon back. Vizh and Wanda have been used to great effect without Simon in the mix, but I feel like a lot of readers still immediately associate Simon with the love triangle/soap opera and it's a turn off for them.

I know it's highly unlikely that we'll get a Wonder Man series again in my lifetime, but I wish a writer liked him enough to include him on a team book as more than a temporary plot device. It seems like no one has any interest in actually developing him. The pacifist thing was interesting for about 5 mins, but Remender saddled him with that and then left him there. Ewing and Zub gave him a little attention, but nothing worth writing home about.
    I'm way past done with that triangle. I'm more interested in a Williams' Brothers family exploration with Eric, Simon, & Vision.

All three have complicated, contradictory tendencies that have went underdeveloped for years. I think enough stuff exist between those three without ever mentioning Wanda.

Kurt Busiek brought up some interesting dynamics between the three during his Avengers' run.

I'm not really into the Young Avengers, but Simon is kinda the paternal uncle for Wiccan & Speed. He did spend time with them as infants during the WCA days.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    It seems like they do not know how to write Simon well into stories today, as if they do not know what to do with him and all his powers.

Simon also seems to have been passed over in favor of new characters like King Hyperion, Sentry and Blue Marvel---who they themselves, have many powers and similar ones to Simon. Not that they all have series or that they appear regularly, but what I mean is that it seems like they have been made into the "now" characters while Simon has been shuffled into the background.
    Wouldn't say that based on Sentry's treatment in KiB & tie-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    Wouldn't say that based on Sentry's treatment in KiB & tie-ins.
    All characters are treated poorly over time.

The Simon/Wanda/Vision love triangle is tired even more so now that every time they are brought together, they decide they aren’t good together. The “Vision is my brother and has my brain patterns” plot can be buried and moved past too. I’d love to get more of Simon without involving Vision or Wanda. His duality of wanting to do right and be a hero while not believing in the Avengers is really interesting and could make for some great Wonder Man stories.

Astonishing Member

I don't think he has the physique for the role, otherwise, I think he'd be fine. He'd probably be appearing in civilian clothes, and may not even had Wonder Man powers, in which case, his regular physique would be fine.