Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

The problem I see with the pacifist angle (from a creative point of view), is that, while it may prove ocassionally interesting, and provide unique writing moments, it automatically rules out Wonder Man as a top player in any team. I mean, very few characters are in his power range (as much as Marvel tries to beef up it's flavour of the month new darling. I'm looking at you, Captain Marvel, Sentry, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, Rogue, Ares, etc...). Not everybody can (or at least could) hit with the power of Thor's hammer. In a team set, Simon could never be the top dog dog. You'd need someone about as powerful to do the heavy lifting, or hitting. Plus, it may work fine against the run of the mill terrorist or Hidra goon, or second rate henchmen, but what good would smashing weapons, or using his invulnerability, do against someone like Thanos or Ultron, which are the kinds of foes Simon and the Avengers face on a regular basis? Never was this better shown, the way I see it, then in Avengers No Surrender, when Simon has to confront the Hulk. I mean, the Universe was at stake, and all Simon could do was use delaying tatics until other powerhouses such as Hercules and Thorette showed up to really try to stop the Hulk. From a creative point of view, IMHO, this always relagates Simon to second fiddle.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Simon needs that BA at the end of the A-Team movie moment where he learns to stomp someone deserving of it with a clean conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Simon needs that BA at the end of the A-Team movie moment where he learns to stomp someone deserving of it with a clean conscience.
    LOL. Yeah, he sure does. But, please, no mohawk.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOL. Yeah, he sure does. But, please, no mohawk.

Peace
    But that takes the fun away from it...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    EMPYRE actually ended up not having very many tie-ins, for an event of that nature. The publishing shutdown that lasted for a couple of months caused by the pandemic led to about half of the planned EMPYRE tie-ins getting cancelled.

The EMPYRE: AVENGERS mini would be his last proper appearance (apart from the non-speaking MODOK cameo) and he was still calling himself a pacifist there so I don't think he's reversed it as of yet.
    Good to know! I may go pick up the Avengers tie-in mini, as it seems to be readily available at all the shops in my area.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The problem I see with the pacifist angle (from a creative point of view), is that, while it may prove ocassionally interesting, and provide unique writing moments, it automatically rules out Wonder Man as a top player in any team. I mean, very few characters are in his power range (as much as Marvel tries to beef up it's flavour of the month new darling. I'm looking at you, Captain Marvel, Sentry, Blue Marvel, Hyperion, Rogue, Ares, etc...). Not everybody can (or at least could) hit with the power of Thor's hammer. In a team set, Simon could never be the top dog dog. You'd need someone about as powerful to do the heavy lifting, or hitting. Plus, it may work fine against the run of the mill terrorist or Hidra goon, or second rate henchmen, but what good would smashing weapons, or using his invulnerability, do against someone like Thanos or Ultron, which are the kinds of foes Simon and the Avengers face on a regular basis? Never was this better shown, the way I see it, then in Avengers No Surrender, when Simon has to confront the Hulk. I mean, the Universe was at stake, and all Simon could do was use delaying tatics until other powerhouses such as Hercules and Thorette showed up to really try to stop the Hulk. From a creative point of view, IMHO, this always relagates Simon to second fiddle.

Peace
    Completely agree.

But I feel like "No Surrender" ultimately captured his voice well, and I did enjoy his scenes with Hulk - even though he ended up a punching bag.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Completely agree.

But I feel like "No Surrender" ultimately captured his voice well, and I did enjoy his scenes with Hulk - even though he ended up a punching bag.
    Oh, I liked No Surrender too. I just thought it was a good exemple to explain my point of view.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I was actually relieved that they dropped most of the extra power sets after the series. Simon never needed all those extra abilities, and sometimes giving a character too many powers can work out against them since writers may find them harder to use. Him keeping the ability to fly under his own power was good (although I did like the belt rockets as something rather unique to Simon), and every now and then we still see him project bursts of ionic energy. But the size changing and shape shifting (or time jumping, self-replication, magnetic powers, etc, if he started having ALL of the abilities the Crazy Eight manifested) would just clutter up his power set too much. He already hits as hard as Thor's hammer--he doesn't need all the extras.
    I agree with this! Streamlining Simon’s powers to the Thor level strength, self sustained flight, invulnerability and energy blast with the power to go into an ionic form is what I’d like to see. It would still make his powers unique.

The pacifist angle was taken way too far. I think he can be skeptical about whether the Avengers actually help without going strict pacifist and never using his powers. I think there’s a middle ground that could be told if Wonder Man ever got a solo series again.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    I agree with this! Streamlining Simon’s powers to the Thor level strength, self sustained flight, invulnerability and energy blast with the power to go into an ionic form is what I’d like to see. It would still make his powers unique.
    They wouldn't be unique for long. Rogue currently has Simon's powers, and anything cool done with Wondy's powers would almost certainly be co-opted by the X-writer for Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    They wouldn't be unique for long. Rogue currently has Simon's powers, and anything cool done with Wondy's powers would almost certainly be co-opted by the X-writer for Rogue.
    You know, that really bugs me. In their first meeting, it became quite clear that Rogue's powers don't work on Simon. The way I see it, the only way she was able to steal his powers was because he allowed her to do so. She only has his powers because he allowed her to remain with them. I'd love for Simon to take them back, maybe just leaving her with the basic Ms Marvel powerset she began with (flight, some invulnerability and superstrength in the 20 tons range, at the most). In my opinion, that would benefit not only him, but her too, because Rogue was much more interesting then.

Peace

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

I love this guy; my favorite powerhouse from the Avengers (together with Herc). Really needs to get a top treatment.

You know, that really bugs me. In their first meeting, it became quite clear that Rogue's powers don't work on Simon. The way I see it, the only way she was able to steal his powers was because he allowed her to do so. She only has his powers because he allowed her to remain with them. I'd love for Simon to take them back, maybe just leaving her with the basic Ms Marvel powerset she began with (flight, some invulnerability and superstrength in the 20 tons range, at the most). In my opinion, that would benefit not only him, but her too, because Rogue was much more interesting then.

Peace
    I believe that every hero needs a unique identity if they are to be successful - name, visual look, rogues gallery, and if possible, power-set. If you can't come up with a unique power, then at least you don't want someone to explicitly have the hero's exact same strength level that comes from the same origins, in this case Wonder Man's ionic energy. That's why no-one else who becomes Captain America gets to have Cap's Super-Soldier Serum - it keeps Steve Rogers unique, and always allows for the suggestion that whilst another character may have gained superior strength to Steve, the SS serum might give him an edge elsewhere. It's important that a hero has that unique identity. This is why I hate Rogue having not only Simon's strength, but his glowing red eyes, which were important and unique to him.

Really, if Rogue is going to take Simon's most marketable assets he should gain her ability to absorb psyches and super-powers. Not that I think he needs it, but turnabout is fair play in this case.

I know Brian Cronin wrote several articles related to Simon, and most of them got posted in last years thread, but somehow I think I might have missed this one. It's a great read!

http://https://www.cbr.com/avengers-...e-works-death/

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Mighty Member

https://screenrant.com/wandavision-w...haeffer-tease/

You guys could just check out the recent details from Marvel's Wandavision.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    https://screenrant.com/wandavision-w...haeffer-tease/

You guys could just check out the recent details from Marvel's Wandavision.
    *Squeals*!!!!

That would be awesome if we got a real live Simon in either of those shows! He doesn't have to be a star, but a something more substantial than an easter egg, please.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009