Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Honestly? I don't mind about inconsequential stories, as long as they are fun. And this one was. Do you know what I really miss? Elseworlds.
    Oh, I don't mind them either! As long as a story is good I don't mind if it's forgotten 5 mins later.

I guess to put my comment in better context, this mini came out at a time that fans were still up in arms over the whole Emerald Twilight debacle, and it wasn't quite clear just how long term a character Kyle was going to be. So for DC to tease something like a new GLC was a big deal. It just felt odd; almost like a "gotcha!" move on their part.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Oh, I don't mind them either! As long as a story is good I don't mind if it's forgotten 5 mins later.

I guess to put my comment in better context, this mini came out at a time that fans were still up in arms over the whole Emerald Twilight debacle, and it wasn't quite clear just how long term a character Kyle was going to be. So for DC to tease something like a new GLC was a big deal. It just felt odd; almost like a "gotcha!" move on their part.
    I remember feeling a little that way too at the time, but I still enjoyed this story. I'm a BIG fan of Eaton's art.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I remember feeling a little that way too at the time, but I still enjoyed this story. I'm a BIG fan of Eaton's art.
    Eaton's great!

This was right around (after?) his Swamp Thing run; he's a much better fit for straight forward superheroes. Loved his work on Aquaman a couple years back.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Eaton's great!

This was right around (after?) his Swamp Thing run; he's a much better fit for straight forward superheroes. Loved his work on Aquaman a couple years back.
    Just after I think.
    And yeah, his superhero stuff is top notch. His Thor was next level.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Got to say $7 each for the comixology versions of the first two volumes of Kyle Rayner's introduction to the DC universe by Ron Marz is not a bad deal.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

Doesn't Kyle's skin tone look a bit white and pale like nightwing? I feel like his skin tone always change depend on which colourist on the books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Doesn't Kyle's skin tone look a bit white and pale like nightwing? I feel like his skin tone always change depend on which colourist on the books.
    Besides the fact that he has always been consistently portrayed with the same skin colour to me, why wouldn't Kyle's skin tone be like that of Nightwing?

Attachment 106509

A friendly reminder that Kyle is younger than Wally.
    Was it ever specified by how many years he was older than him?

I recall Donna and Kyle dating. Was there a specified age gap between them?

Well there is such thing as white Hispanics out there. I imagine if Kyle appeared in live-action, someone like Noah Centineo would've been a good choice. But they cast him as Atom Smasher instead...
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-13-2021 at 03:51 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well there is such thing as white Hispanics out there. I imagine if Kyle appeared in live-action, someone like Noah Centineo would've been a good choice. But they cast him as Atom Smasher instead...
    I am honestly curious here: Is Spain not considered white by Americans?

Well, given that I'm not American, I don't feel it's my place to answer that question, but I was generally referring to Americans of mixed Caucasian and Latino descent. If we're to assume that Kyle's retconned origin is still canon, which it has to be since DC does seem to consider him to be a person of color, then he is Irish-Mexican, so that should make him a white Hispanic. With Kyle there's a story reason for him to look more pale, as compared to Jaime or Jessica for instance.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well, given that I'm not American, I don't feel it's my place to answer that question, but I was generally referring to Americans of mixed Caucasian and Latino descent. If we're to assume that Kyle's retconned origin is still canon, which it has to be since DC does seem to consider him to be a person of color, then he is Irish-Mexican, so that should make him a white Hispanic. With Kyle there's a story reason for him to look more pale, as compared to Jaime or Jessica for instace.
    Sure, I didn't mean specifically you. Any American is welcomed to answer.

But even by saying "white Hispanic", aren't we assuming Hispanic are not white to begin with/as default? Which would correlate with my question: Isn't Spain considered white by Americans?

I am honestly curious because, as some around here might know, I am from Argentina, with mixed Italian and Spanish blood (like most in Argentina), and we generally consider ourselves to be white (because we have such a Latin/Hispanic influence).

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

I would assume it's probably no more than 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

I don't recall an actual number/age given, but Donna was definitely the "older woman", and that was specifically mentioned.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Depends on the American. Spain is in Europe, however many (ignorant, sorry!) Americans don't realize that not everyone who speaks Spanish is Mexican/Latino.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009