Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think it's funny how different the franchise seems looking back at this image. So many questions come to mind if you don't happen to know where the characters were back then. Why does Guy wear some strange war paint, why is John not a GL, Why is Alan called Sentinel and looking younger than Hal, why is Hal in his Silver Age look, Kyle is pretty much the only one on that cover who seems the same today, not counting the GL symbol.
    And to think, at that time all I wanted was Hal back and the 80's/early 90's status quo restored!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    And to think, at that time all I wanted was Hal back and the 80's/early 90's status quo restored!
    It's like an entirely different franchise. I read some of those old issues and sometimes wondered just what the hell was I reading. And if that seemed strange to someone like me who started reading in the late 2000s, then I wonder how it could seem to someone who started reading in the 2010s, let alone in this day and age. Imagine going back to read Kyle's run if, say, Far Sector was your first exposure to GL.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-23-2021 at 04:26 PM.

I still don't get Warrior Guy.

Fantastic Member

Personally, I think GL during the 90s (including the time with Hal starring, so not just when Kyle was the lead) was the best GL ever.

First, because GLs were really unique (unlike now where there are dozen color corps and thousands of ringslingers). Consequently, GLs were treated with a certain level of 'respect'.

Second, because GLs used to crossover or include other DCU heroes in their adventures (especially so during Kyle's tenure). Consequently, GL felt a part of a greater interconnected DCUniverse.

Third, because GLs had a supporting cast other than other GLs (again, this is something that you could see quite clearly with Hal and Kyle). Consequently, GLs felt human.

Last, but not least, GL - to me - felt like a superhero book, as opposed to the cop/military approach to the franchise that we have since Geoff Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Personally, I think GL during the 90s (including the time with Hal starring, so not just when Kyle was the lead) was the best GL ever.

First, because GLs were really unique (unlike now where there are dozen color corps and thousands of ringslingers). Consequently, GLs were treated with a certain level of 'respect'.

Second, because GLs used to crossover or include other DCU heroes in their adventures (especially so during Kyle's tenure). Consequently, GL felt a part of a greater interconnected DCUniverse.

Third, because GLs had a supporting cast other than other GLs (again, this is something that you could see quite clearly with Hal and Kyle). Consequently, GLs felt human.

Last, but not least, GL - to me - felt like a superhero book, as opposed to the cop/military approach to the franchise that we have since Geoff Johns.
    I guess that's one of the consequence of everything being set in space. They barely interact with any other heroes or have lives outside being GL's.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still don't get Warrior Guy.
    There was actually a decent article on the main page awhile back (by Cronin, of course) that explained that whole era of Guy. There were some good quotes from Beau Smith detailing what editorial mandated and why, what he came up with himself, etc. It's still a pretty random development in hindsight though.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES