Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think it's funny how different the franchise seems looking back at this image. So many questions come to mind if you don't happen to know where the characters were back then. Why does Guy wear some strange war paint, why is John not a GL, Why is Alan called Sentinel and looking younger than Hal, why is Hal in his Silver Age look, Kyle is pretty much the only one on that cover who seems the same today, not counting the GL symbol.
    And to think, at that time all I wanted was Hal back and the 80's/early 90's status quo restored!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    And to think, at that time all I wanted was Hal back and the 80's/early 90's status quo restored!
    It's like an entirely different franchise. I read some of those old issues and sometimes wondered just what the hell was I reading. And if that seemed strange to someone like me who started reading in the late 2000s, then I wonder how it could seem to someone who started reading in the 2010s, let alone in this day and age. Imagine going back to read Kyle's run if, say, Far Sector was your first exposure to GL.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-23-2021 at 04:26 PM.

I still don't get Warrior Guy.

Incredible Member

Personally, I think GL during the 90s (including the time with Hal starring, so not just when Kyle was the lead) was the best GL ever.

First, because GLs were really unique (unlike now where there are dozen color corps and thousands of ringslingers). Consequently, GLs were treated with a certain level of 'respect'.

Second, because GLs used to crossover or include other DCU heroes in their adventures (especially so during Kyle's tenure). Consequently, GL felt a part of a greater interconnected DCUniverse.

Third, because GLs had a supporting cast other than other GLs (again, this is something that you could see quite clearly with Hal and Kyle). Consequently, GLs felt human.

Last, but not least, GL - to me - felt like a superhero book, as opposed to the cop/military approach to the franchise that we have since Geoff Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Personally, I think GL during the 90s (including the time with Hal starring, so not just when Kyle was the lead) was the best GL ever.

First, because GLs were really unique (unlike now where there are dozen color corps and thousands of ringslingers). Consequently, GLs were treated with a certain level of 'respect'.

Second, because GLs used to crossover or include other DCU heroes in their adventures (especially so during Kyle's tenure). Consequently, GL felt a part of a greater interconnected DCUniverse.

Third, because GLs had a supporting cast other than other GLs (again, this is something that you could see quite clearly with Hal and Kyle). Consequently, GLs felt human.

Last, but not least, GL - to me - felt like a superhero book, as opposed to the cop/military approach to the franchise that we have since Geoff Johns.
    I guess that's one of the consequence of everything being set in space. They barely interact with any other heroes or have lives outside being GL's.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still don't get Warrior Guy.
    There was actually a decent article on the main page awhile back (by Cronin, of course) that explained that whole era of Guy. There were some good quotes from Beau Smith detailing what editorial mandated and why, what he came up with himself, etc. It's still a pretty random development in hindsight though.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mighty Member

People keep complaining how low representation for latino superheroes. But then we are glad that Jaimes and Jessica Cruz have a shining spotlight in most of the media. Jaimes has 'Young Justice' , 'DC Animated Movies Universe' and the upcoming "Blue Beetle" movie on HBO Max. While Jessica has 'DC Superheroes Girl' and the HBO 'Green Lantern' show. Meanwhile, poor Kyle alway get left out from any media.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    People keep complaining how low representation for latino superheroes. But then we are glad that Jaimes and Jessica Cruz have a shining spotlight in most of the media. Jaimes has 'Young Justice' , 'DC Animated Movies Universe' and the upcoming "Blue Beetle" movie on HBO Max. While Jessica has 'DC Superheroes Girl' and the HBO 'Green Lantern' show. Meanwhile, poor Kyle alway get left out from any media.
    That might have to do with Kyle's latino heritage not really feeling genuine. It kinda felt like a half-assed attempt to retroactively give the character something that would give him something to distinguish him, but it never seemed like it was ever who Kyle was as a character, who was explicitly created to be Irish-American. Is it any wonder Kyle Rayner hasn't been embraced by Latinix readers?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That might have to do with Kyle's latino heritage not really feeling genuine. It kinda felt like a half-assed attempt to retroactively give the character something that would give him something to distinguish him, but it never seemed like it was ever who Kyle was as a character, who was explicitly created to be Irish-American. Is it any wonder Kyle Rayner hasn't been embraced by Latinix readers?
    Absolutely agree.
    Even at the time it read like a random little tidbit Winick threw in there on a whim.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Incredible Member

This is the consequence of Americans seemingly only being able to equate Latino to dark skin. It is frustrating.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    This is the consequence of Americans seemingly only being able to equate Latino to dark skin. It is frustrating.
    That's true. White/European Latinos are the second-largest racial group in Latin America after Mestizos ( persons of a combined European and Indigenous American ancestry). Latinos are very diverse. They may speak the same language ( except Brazil) but their cultures are very different from one another.
    Last edited by Veni; 11-23-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, I don't think a lot of people are even aware or really acknowledge that.

Tom King did in one moment of Omega Men but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't think a lot of people are even aware or really acknowledge that.

Tom King did in one moment of Omega Men but that's about it.
    It's unfortunate that Kyle's ethnicity, such as it is, was more of an afterthought than an actual flag-plant.

Wayyy back when he was created (in 1994? That can't be right. That'd make me... old), DC had a real opportunity, representation-wise. They'd cleared away the old white guy GL, gotten rid of the continuity burden of the Green Lantern Corps, and shuffled Guy, Alan, and John to the side. It was time for a bold, original, character... and they settled on a twentysomething (seemingly) white guy. From New York City. Who was a comic book artist.

It's like they didn't even look out the window of the DC Bullpen

I credit Judd for trying to make his background a little more interesting, but I think Kyle's cultural cake has been baked for a long time now. I kind of like the fact that's he's got a Latino background that's *not* one of his defining characteristics, but in a medium that isn't exactly known for subtlety, it's probably not doing much for the character.

Edited to Add: Apologies for essentially repeating the same post I made about ten pages ago, vis-a-vis DC missing an opportunity with Kyle's background and actually kind of liking his vaporous Latino status. My original post was funnier.
    Last edited by ducklord; 11-23-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Incredible Member

While Kyle himself doesn't appear in this week's Action Comics, the Martian Manhunter backup has J'Onn viewing a painting of his in a Metropolis art gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    While Kyle himself doesn't appear in this week's Action Comics, the Martian Manhunter backup has J'Onn viewing a painting of his in a Metropolis art gallery.
    Wow, Kyle's art has come a long way .