Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #310 - Omen/Prophet comes to an end (Thank God), Element Lad finally realizes he's the Legion Leader, Brainiac 5 dreams of Supergirl, Dream Girl saves the day, and a long thought dead Legionnaire makes a reappearance.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-310.html

Extraordinary Member

It wasn't until I read this review that I ever understood (well, mostly) what this storyline was all about. And it still feels like a waste of time.

Glad to see Dream Girl being the heroine of this story, no matter how lousy it was.

Element Lad finally realizing he was Legion leader was too funny.

Still hating Giffen's new art style.

Lyle Norg's return was so important to Levitz that he didn't bother focusing on it for MONTHS.

Astonishing Member

I didn't like the 'Lyle Norg' story since it suggested that Lyle's somewhat happy thereafter with Mysa didn't exist.

As far as covers go, two months prior was that fantastic Star Boy cover, and now we get this mess.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Lyle Norg's return was so important to Levitz that he didn't bother focusing on it for MONTHS.
    I read this fairly recently and had no idea that Lyle Norg had come back! It seems like it sort of passed without notice, for the most part.

I've been reading comics for a *long* time, and have no problem with mysterious resurrections, but when a character is brought back and nothing much is done with it, I question what was the point?

Extraordinary Member

It's funny (but not really) that the cover says "Omen is here. And the Legionnaires will never again be the same!"

Yet, as far as I remember, the only long-term affect of this story is that Blok loses his nose.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #311 - The Legion gets a new, more mobile headquarters, Dawnstar finds her soulmate in Wildfire, Invisible Kid II's sister Danielle Foccart is finally cured, and Brainiac 5 finally solves the Computo problem.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-311.html

Extraordinary Member

The backup story with Dawnstar and Wildfire was nice.

I liked the new Legion headquarters but it was put together rather quickly and out of nowhere. I think it would've been better to have the old HQ destroyed as a cliffhanger in a previous issue and then resolve it in the following one.

I always enjoy seeing Luornu and Chuck. Levitz was great at keeping us updated on what was going on with these two.

Great to see a resolution to the Danielle Foccart storyline and a great way to keep Computo around.

But the best part of the issue was this page in the back with all the symbols and Iterlac translations:

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #312 - Superboy assists with a serial bomber who is threatening the Science Police, Sun Boy continues to pursue Gigi Cusimano, and a renewed Shrinking Violet (seriously, her personality does a complete 180) leaves Medicus One.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-312.html

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #312 - Superboy assists with a serial bomber who is threatening the Science Police, Sun Boy continues to pursue Gigi Cusimano, and a renewed Shrinking Violet (seriously, her personality does a complete 180) leaves Medicus One.
    How DO people feel about Vi's 180 personality wise?

Peace

Astonishing Member

I was more upset by her backward fashion sense. I liked the take charge personality, but not the Silver Age outfit (albeit with minor tailoring changes). On a recent Legion cover for 'Back Issue' magazine, Steve Lightle draw a cover that showed Vi in an update to the Cockrum costume. I wonder this is something he designed in the 80s and never got a chance to debut it. It was much better than the lime green mini skirt.

Going back to issue #311 -- I was kinda meh on the new HQ. I guess the earlier one is my favorite because it was part of the Cockrum run -- even though I guess it did seem dated by the 80s. The new one, though, didn't have any personality.

Gene Colan's artwork was a nice treat. He's always had a very stylized approach --- but I liked it -- whereas I wasn't fond of Giffen's stylistic changes. Dirk looks like Sean Cassidy (Banshee -- not the Hardy Boy) on cover of 312.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    I personally didn't like it. I realize she had gone through a traumatic experience and probably did have a lot of anger built up. But she seemed nothing at all like her former self from this point forward.

And I hated the green mini-skirt. It wasn't a costume at all - just a dress.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    On the one hand, she was much more fun, and her eventual relationship with Ayla was great.

On the other hand, it seemed like the Legion ladies were being given ass-kicking attitude upgrades to compensate for the perception that they had 'weak' powers. Dream Girl, Projectra, Violet, Shady, etc. got more physically aggressive, and Ayla in particular got a more blasty (and, ultimately, less potent) power. It felt like Phantom Girl was the only Legion lady left who wasn't a martial artist, at one point, and that felt odd, since various Legion *men* like Star Boy and Brainiac 5 and Cosmic Boy aren't perceived as needing to be punchy kicky MMA fighters.

If Violet was the only one to get a major personality overhaul, fine. Cool, even.

But taken as a whole with the changes to Dream Girl, Projectra/Sensor, Light(ning) Lass and even Saturn Girl (whose previous run at joining the SP was name-dropped a few times along with her busting out the judo), it felt a little overcompensatory and muddle-headed (as if women *have* to be physically aggressive asskickers to matter, while men like Element Lad can just lean on their powers and be kind of passive).

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #313 - The serial bomber targets Colossal Boy's mother, the Legionnaires make headway on the rebuilding of Daxam, Shrinking Violet confronts Duplicate Boy, and Dream Girl has a deathly vision.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-313.html

Extraordinary Member

The Shrinking Violet/Duplicate Boy exchange was very confusing to me. I find it hard to believe that Duplicate Boy realized that the Violet he confronted in #298 wasn't really her. When he said "she's not the Violet I fell in love with", I assumed he meant that by cheating on him, she had damaged their relationship for good - and that's all he meant.

I admit I didn't recall most of this bomber story. And again, I was so distracted by the change in art style that I was finding it very hard to enjoy the book anymore.

The only think in this issue that interested me was Dream Girl's vision. I was shocked that another Legionnaire was going to die and dreaded finding out who it would be.

Just curious - for those who were reading it at the time, did you have any idea who the dead Legionnaire would be at this point?

Just curious - for those who were reading it at the time, did you have any idea who the dead Legionnaire would be at this point?
    I didn't, and a I have to say that I felt that picking a recently retired Legionnarie to kill was kind of cheating. Not much courage required to snuff out someone you had already written out of your story, IMHO.

Peace