Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I recall seeing Karate Kid in new threads -- maybe in Great Darkness finales. I think he wore something formal for his wedding and was buried in the Cockrum outfit -- which is probably my favorite. I did like Giffen's streamline onesie for Luornu. The outfit she wore in the 70s was fan-designed -- and very mod, but it worked for that era. By the 80s, it looks out of place. I think Tasmia's outfits kept losing threads with each new artist -- so by the time Giffen came on board -- she had to start over!

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #293 - The Master moves the planet Daxam under a yellow sun, an imprisoned Chameleon Boy reconciles with his father, the Legion reserves join the battle, and the Master finally reveals his identity.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-293.html

Extraordinary Member

I'm probably in the minority but I did not like this cover. It looked too "cartoony" IMO.

Cham's reconciliation with R.J. Brande was nicely done. This whole Cham story is usually overlooked because of everything that was going on but it was a nice getaway story from all the action. And needed to be done.

Loved the entire Legion coming together with Superboy, Karate Kid, Projectra, Duo Damsel, and Bouncing Boy joining in. My only complaint was that Mon-El was still in a coma.

Best reveal ever. Billions of Daxamite slaves carving their planet into the shape of the Master and then the great reveal at the end. WOW.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I'm probably in the minority but I did not like this cover. It looked too "cartoony" IMO.
    I'd blame that on the font used. If they'd used the (then) normal logo it would have looked better, imho.

As it is, I get a strong School House Rock vibe!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Ha! Yes, before I read either of your comments, my first thought was that I don't like the cover -- and yes, it's very Schoolhouse Rock! Haha.

So, was this the first time Lu wore the full body suit. As much as I loved the one from Cockrum era (loved anything he drew back in those days), this outfit was a great upgrade. Not all of Giffen's changes would be as welcomed by me.

No comments on this issue other than the above. I guess next issue is the finale -- that's where I came in after a very long absence. I'll have a lot to say about that issue!

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #294 - Brainiac Five deduces that the Master is Darkseid, who sends his army of empowered Daxamites to attack, Dream Girl calls any-and-everyone to help including Supergirl, the identity of the child is revealed, and the Great Darkness finally fades.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-294.html

Last edited by caj; 01-20-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

From one of my least favorite covers to my all-time favorite cover. WOW

How many cheered when you saw Supergirl's inclusion in this story. And that ending with Brainiac Five was classic.

Still hate that Mon-El wasn't involved with this one, though. But the Subs finally get their day.

Never understood Light Lass' decision to leave the Legion. If anything, this Legion victory should inspire members that what they're doing is life-saving.

Biggest head-scratcher - why would Saturn Girl take the time to get her hair cut during all of this? Why not wait and reveal this new look in the next issue????

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #293 - The Master moves the planet Daxam under a yellow sun, an imprisoned Chameleon Boy reconciles with his father, the Legion reserves join the battle, and the Master finally reveals his identity.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-293.html

This is probably one of my favorite LSH issues, and one of the strongest in my memory. Here in Brazil, at the time, American comics were really hard to get, especially many sequential issues in a row, and it took me years to actually get to read the conclusion to the Great Darkness Saga, so those images of Superboy showing up to face "himself", the Legion's first victory against the Darkness, the transformed Daxam and the revealed Master (who I had a very vague notion of who he was, having read only a couple of New Gods stories over at Adventure Comics) are images that stuck with me for a very long time. And I, for one, like the cover.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Oh boy! Where to start?

I don't recall what made me pick up this issue, but I was probably influenced by that aforementioned cover shown in Comic Scene where the small group of Legionnaires was stranded on an icy planet. And, I think I unwisely paged through the story and saw a lot of things that cinched my purchase.

1. Yeah, the art looked incredible, and art has always been my biggest draw to any series. I've read many series where I loved the writing, but was meh on the art -- such as 80s Suicide Squad. Great art, though, will persuade me to buy a book.

2. The first comic book I ever purchased (with funds from my dearly departed grandfather) was Adventure Comics -- not featuring the Legion, no, but featuring Supergirl. I was a big fan of the Filmation Superman/Superboy/Batman & Robin cartoon of the late 1960s. In first grade I was discussing those characters with a fellow pupil --- who introduced the concept of comic books to me! For some unknown reason, Filmation didn't include Supergirl in its cartoons -- even though Batgirl was a regular part of the Batman & Robin shows. So when my buddy (John Adams was his name -- still remember it -- even though I think he moved away the next Summer) told me about Supergirl, I was intrigued. Then he brought in some comic books -- including Action Comics 373 which was a giant all-Supergirl reprint issue. I was hooked! Sadly, when her run in Adventure Comics ended, the character was never written quite as interesting to me. Or maybe as I matured, he stories just came across as too immature. So when I saw Supergirl going up against a big bad like Darkseid -- I had to have this issue.

3. Finally, aside from a great moment for Supergirl (probably her second-greatest -- with her final battle against Anti-Monitor being her best), what really resonated was the epic battles of the story. It was if Levitz and Giffen had recently viewed that superb 2-page Cockrum spread from Superboy #200 -- and decided to use all of those characters in the finale. I mean -- who expected the Heroes of Lallor to ever show up again, but also look so great in action?!

I will say, though, that Levitz absolutely fooled me with the ending and Darkseid's promise. When he said the most pure would be the first to go -- it seemed as if he was referring to Ayla's departure. With a few exceptions, I think I've purchased most every Legion book published since, but very few ever came close to the glory of this issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I will say, though, that Levitz absolutely fooled me with the ending and Darkseid's promise. When he said the most pure would be the first to go -- it seemed as if he was referring to Ayla's departure. With a few exceptions, I think I've purchased most every Legion book published since, but very few ever came close to the glory of this issue.
    Great post.

Yeah, I thought Darkseid's threat referred to Ayla leaving as well. While his actual curse (revealed over a year later) was kind of out there, it was typically cruel, which is what Darkseid does best.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #295 - After resigning in the previous issue, Light Lass gives Timber Wolf an ultimatum - either leave with me or we're over. Leave it to Blok to help his friend Brin try to decide by showing him archive footage of a past Legion battle.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-295.html

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #295 - After resigning in the previous issue, Light Lass gives Timber Wolf an ultimatum - either leave with me or we're over. Leave it to Blok to help his friend Brin try to decide by showing him archive footage of a past Legion battle.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-295.html

After so many fantastic issues, I have to sayh this obvious fill-in (something commun in those days) left me disappointed. Still, it was better than most of the other books inventory stories.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    After so many fantastic issues, I have to sayh this obvious fill-in (something commun in those days) left me disappointed. Still, it was better than most of the other books inventory stories.

Peace
    I think these kinds of issues served two purposes: 1) They managed to give Giffen a very well-deserved break (Giffen didn't draw the archive footage), and 2) It helped educated readers who didn't know some of Legion's long, vast history.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #296 - Cosmic Boy's family members are victims of a nuclear fire balling, Light Lass leaves the Legion alone, Mon-El recovers, Chameleon Boy loses his powers, and Karate Kid has a proposal for Projectra.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-296.html

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #296 - Cosmic Boy's family members are victims of a nuclear fire balling, Light Lass leaves the Legion alone, Mon-El recovers, Chameleon Boy loses his powers, and Karate Kid has a proposal for Projectra.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-296.html

This issue never showed up in the local comics racks (yes, comics racks at the grocery store and Wal-Mart were still a thing) of my hometown. I finally found a copy of it in the back issue boxes of a comic shop in the nearest college town about an hour's drive away, several years later. Taking a good look at the cover art, I can only guess that the half-burnt body in Sun Boy's arm might have been deemed too graphic or disturbing.