Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    You know, it just occurred to me that I had to wait several months before getting issues #1 & 2.

Because I wasn't near a comic book store, I sent in for a subscription for the Baxter books. But instead of sending me the first two issues, I didn't start getting them until #3. So I came into this story right in the middle. That's a serious knock on the subscription department of DC at the time. Why wouldn't you begin a subscription with the first issue?

It was probably five or six months before I found a comic book store (more than an hour away from where I lived) where I could buy the first two issues. Luckily awhile later, I started going to college in the city where the comic book store was. It was always exciting to go in there and look for new or older books and merchandise.
    The lag in subscription times back in the day was always around 8-10 weeks I want to say; even well into the 90's when I was subscribing to about 6-7 titles. I'm assuming you were filling out and mailing in the sub forms from the actual issues...? If so, you were at the mercy of the USPS, plus processing time on DC's end. I remember a few titles being advertised the way you described (get #1-2 together), but it never worked for me either. I subscribed to GL: Mosaic in hopes of getting the free power ring they offered - and I mailed in my coupon in plenty of time - only to have my sub start with #3 as well. Nearly four months after the fact!

But I digress... back to the LoSH!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #2 - Lightning Lord gives Ayla an ultimatum, Projectra and Karate Kid are captured, the base of operations for the super villains is revealed, and a traitor from the past sets his plan for revenge into motion.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...roes-v3-2.html

Ah, this is a very special issue for me, as it is the first official Legion of Super Heroes comic I ever owned, with the exception....

That I got it a year later, when it was reprinted as Tales of The Legion of Super Heroes.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #4 - Five more Legionnaires are captured by the LSV, Karate Kid and Nemesis Kid have a fight to end all fights, Ayla gets her lightning powers back, and a Legionnaire's life comes to an end.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...roes-v3-4.html

Extraordinary Member

Don't mind admitting that I cried like a baby when I read this one. KK is in my top 3 favorite Legionnaires (along with Lightning Lad and Timberwolf). TBH, I was hoping that Projectra would die - not because I hated the character but I wanted KK back in the Legion full time.

I can see in hindsight that this story provided a gut punch of emotions in the way it was told but it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that Nemesis Kid got the best of Val in their final fight.

I know that a lot of Legion fans were thrilled with Ayla going back to Lightning Lass, but I preferred her as Light Lass.

I still don't understand why so many LSV members were constantly screaming about killing Legionnaires but yet kept locking them in a dungeon.

The art was incredible in this issue. Lightle was a great replacement for Giffen. Giffen hated the KK character and wanted to 'kill him'. He didn't draw the issue but he did get to draw the cover, which was a great one IMO.

One more issue to go in the Levitz/Giffen era. Come back on Monday for the finale.

I still don't understand why so many LSV members were constantly screaming about killing Legionnaires but yet kept locking them in a dungeon.
    Lol so true! There was a panel where Silver Slasher captured Dream Girl. Just kill her if that’s you’re objective. Seems like Lazon could have killed so many during most of the fights but they each wanted to kill one. Maybe Slasher had a particular LSH member in mind.

Good times.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

It's a common problem among villains. Frankly, I don't understand it.

Astonishing Member

There was an elegance to the cover of issue #4 that was missing form Giffen's previous three covers. I really didnt't recall as much from the Karate Kid/Nemesis Kid fight as I do the fight between he and Jeckie -- though it wasn't much of a fight! I will say it didn't make much sense that KK easily kicked NK's ass in Karate Kid #1, but had a difficult time here. Didn't Levitz even write that particular issue?

Welcome aboard, Steve Lightle. You made a huge difference in this book -- and provided some of my favorite covers -- especially the Timber Wolf cover.

I kinda forgot Tyr was in this story. Always had a fondness for him -- being a Dave Cockrum creation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I will say it didn't make much sense that KK easily kicked NK's ass in Karate Kid #1, but had a difficult time here. Didn't Levitz even write that particular issue?
    Yes Levitz did write that issue of Karate Kid. Here's a review:

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...ate-kid-1.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #5 - Lightning Lass overpowers her brother Mekt, in the aftermath of Karate Kid's death, Projectra snaps Nemesis Kid's neck - killing him - then uses the power spheres to take Orando out of orbit, leaving five Legionnaires stranded.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...roes-v3-5.html

Extraordinary Member

And there you have it. Keith Giffen would leave after this issue, although he would step in for some fill-ins or special projects. He would return as artist on issue #50 but for all intents and purposes, this was officially the end of the classic Levitz/Giffen era.

It still bothers me to this day how easily Projectra killed Nemesis Kid after he destroyed Karate Kid in a fight. Whether she used magic or some other power, it just seemed too easy.

And how utterly cold of Projectra not to make sure that her friends got home safely before taking Orando out of orbit. She just left them stranded.

I know this story was a favorite of many Legion fans but I never cared for it. There was a nice build-up to the story and some great scenes, but the outcome was a huge letdown.
    Last edited by caj; 03-08-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Incredible Member

It still bothers me to this day how easily Projectra killed Nemesis Kid after he destroyed Karate Kid in a fight. Whether she used magic or some other power, it just seemed too easy.
    No offence intended but I thought CaptCleghorn explained it perfectly. Nemesis Kid died easily because he was a coward at heart. He's great against opponents that always hold back, but when he saw the look in Projectra's eyes and realised "oh *&^% she really wants to kill me" he froze. He was defeated by his own fear. Simple as that.

And how utterly cold of Projectra not to make sure that her friends got home safely before taking Orando out of orbit. She just left them stranded.
    True.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I totally bought it -- because of the way Lightle drew it. As I said before, I thought she was exhibiting a previously unrevealed power, but it makes total sense that Nemesis Kid's own fear did him in. It was a very ironic death in that he could have gained any power to defeat Projectra, but was unable to do so.

Projectra acted very cold after Val's death. I guess that's to be expected -- and maybe she blamed the Legion for playing a part in his death. I thought this was a great arc to kick off the series.

Extraordinary Member

I guess ya'll are right. Nemesis Kid did have a history of fear being his weakness.

To learn more about him (as I just did), check out the link below:

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...mesis-kid.html

Astonishing Member

I get why Projectra's power was typically portrayed in such an unimaginative way (because it showed her in 'action'), but it would have been so much more useful if she had used it behind the scenes.

I still think it was stupid that he managed to kill Karate Kid. Heck, Val's thing was basically the ability to overcome himself, always improving his art. Plus, he HAD defeated N.K before. They should at least have given him a handicap, or have Nemesis Kid cheat in some way. As Caj said, it had a great build up, but the pay-off wasn't all that, IMHO. I did like that Sensor Girl came out of that tragedy, though.

Peace