Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This thread will post links to reviews on the Paul Levitz / Keith Giffen era of the Legion that began back in 1982. The first couple issues featured art by Pat Broderick before Giffen came on.

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #284 - Medicus One is attacked, two Legionnaires resign, and Timber Wolf gets a facelift.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...oul-thief.html

I always thought Broderick's short stint at LSH was greatly underappreciated. True, Giffen came in already completly revamping the 30th century's general look, which justly earned him his status as one of the LSH all-time greatest artists (though Cockrum is still my favorite), but Broderick's take was also very good, and a quantum leap in quality over his redecessor, Jimmy Janes, which had a solid figure work, but seemed to lack the imagination to work on a Sci-fi book. I actually wouldn't have minded seeing more of his work on the book.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    One of my biggest gripes about DC is just how much of the Legion is not collected in any form. For being such a big book is has very few collections with issues 259-283, 314-325, and issues 14-63 of the "Baxter" series never being collected. That is 84 issues not counting annuals with most of them being by Levitz. If nothing else the "Baxter" series should be collected in full.
    I would love to see the Sensor Girl saga collected in full. Laroque was another greatly underappreciated writer, and he really rocked in his LSH stint.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    #260-271 are being collected in Before the Darkness, a trade scheduled for release next month.

Not sure why they skipped #259; that would've bookended it nicely with the Superboy and the LoSH HC Vol. 2... but who knows with DC. Maybe it'll actually show up in the final product.
    If I'm not mistaken, Before Darkness will be a HC, not a TPB. I really didn't like that phase of the Legion (some things, some concepts, had potential, such as the away team with Brande, and Ultra Boy's death, but the execution was, IMHO, VERY poor), and I have it all in floppy, so I won't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Sad news people: Steve Lightle, penciller of the Legion and regular cover artist of several eras passed away.

https://www.cbr.com/steve-lightle-le...tist-obituary/
    That was really sad news.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

I have to say, I'm kind of shocked that we're 2 issues into The Great Darkness Saga and no one is even talking about it.

Maybe the subject has been all talked out, who knows.

There was some great dialogue in this issue:

Wildfire: "You're really serious about running, Dream Girl? Next thing you know, Krypto the super-dog will be running."

Star Boy: "Stop campaigning Element Lad. Besides, do you think Nura would have run for leader if she hadn't foresaw herself winning?"
    Timber Wolf: "Oh no, I never thought of that."

Dream Girl: "Being early comes naturally when you can see the future."
    Sun Boy: "I'm not even going to try to understand that."

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Before Darkness will be a HC, not a TPB. I really didn't like that phase of the Legion (some things, some concepts, had potential, such as the away team with Brande, and Ultra Boy's death, but the execution was, IMHO, VERY poor), and I have it all in floppy, so I won't get it.
    Yeah, I noticed Amazon has it listed as a HC, but IST/DCBS shows TPB. I'm hoping for the former, as it'll look better on the shelf next to my Superboy and the LoSH HC's.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I have to say, I'm kind of shocked that we're 2 issues into The Great Darkness Saga and no one is even talking about it.
    Sadly, I'm not there yet. It took me a few days to dig my collections out of storage, and I'm only on #287 in my re-read.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Sadly, I'm not there yet. It took me a few days to dig my collections out of storage, and I'm only on #287 in my re-read.
    Yeah, I'm reserving GDS comments for the finale -- which is the issue where I started collecting Legion again after a 7-year absence. I have read the stories leading up that issue -- but am not as familiar, so it's more difficult to comment.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #292 - Dream Girl's vision leads the Legion to the Sorcerer's World, a Legionnaire gives the Master a potential weapon, and the Legion gets a surprising and questionable weapon against the Master of Darkness.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-292.html

Extraordinary Member

#282 is my favorite issue of TGDS. It may even be my favorite issue of the entire Levitz/Giffen run.

There is a scene (and I haven't been able to find it to post it here) that was at the top of one of the pages of this issue. It depicts close-ups of Element Lad, Light Lass, Invisible Kid, Timber Wolf, and Star Boy. Each one says something just after they have had their first confrontation with the Master of Darkness.

Although, they're not giving up, you sense that for the first time in their lives, they're not sure they're going to win this one. The way it is written and drawn just nailed that fear that each one had. And you got the sense that all the Legionnaires were feeling the same way.

The Master quickly disposes of Mon-El yet seems to have a plan for Daxam. The baby appearing was a head-scratcher but it was a nice head-scratcher. Levitz continued to bring out the personalities in each member. And I loved Dream Girl being leader.

Astonishing Member

Hmmm. I think Light Lass and Star Boy were around for the first Computo story. That was a pretty big deal -- that resulted in one of their biggest losses. I don't think any of those guys were around for the first Mordru story (which was actually the second time the team confronted him), but that seemed to be another hopeless situation. Darkseid was a big deal, but I think there were times the Legion felt hopeless before.

Again, when I read this issue I had already seen the conclusion -- so I already know who all those servants were.

Shadow Lass was still wearing the SP uniform in the conclusion -- though I didn't recognize it as being that when I saw it. I thought it may be another new costume.

I know Nura's hairstyle was a sign of the 80s, but I always preferred the looser style for both she and Imra. The both looked like they were using a full can of hairspray each issue.

Ultimate Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #292 - Dream Girl's vision leads the Legion to the Sorcerer's World, a Legionnaire gives the Master a potential weapon, and the Legion gets a surprising and questionable weapon against the Master of Darkness.
    Man, the Sorcerer's World looked amazing, and the various elemental-themed masters were also pretty cool! I have always been amazed by how many evocative and vivid sub-settings are baked into the United Planets far-future setting.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 01-15-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Man, the Sorcerer's World looked amazing, and the various elemental-themed masters were also pretty cool! I have always been amazed by how many evocative and vivid sub-settings are baked into the United Planets far-future setting.
    Agree. You have to wonder just how much freedom Levitz was giving to Giffen to create the look of the book. I know Levitz had plenty of his own ideas - and I'm sure he was providing notes - but hand it to Giffen and Mahlstedt for taking those notes and running away with them. The art continues to be incredible.

Astonishing Member

Dan Didio (remember him?) once commented that Legion has always been a writer's book. I guess from his perspective it was. And good writing was definitely on supply from Levitz. But honestly, it's the artists such as Cockrum who made the book a fan favorite. Legion with Levitz, but without Giffen -- and later Lightle, wasn't as strong. Cary Bate's stories were fine at the time (being that I was around 10 years old), but Cockrum is what sold those issues of Superboy & the LSH around number 200.

Even today -- Sook's work on the title eclipses Bendis's, but the writing isn't horrible -- but it certainly isn't grabbing me like it should.
    Last edited by kcekada; 01-16-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Dan Didio (remember him?) once commented that Legion has always been a writer's book. I guess from his perspective it was. And good writing was definitely on supply from Levitz. But honestly, it's the artist such as Cockrum and Grell who made the book a fan favorite. Legion with Levitz but without Giffen -- and later Lightle wasn't as strong. Cary Bate's stories were fine at the time (being that I was around 10 years old), but Cockrum is what sold those issues of Superboy & the LSH around number 200.

Even today -- Sook's work on the title eclipses Bendis's, but the writing isn't horrible -- but it certainly isn't grabbing me like it should.
    One thing I liked about the classic Legion in particular is that it had characters who had been introduced over decades, and had very different styles, which, for me, ideally suited a group of people from a dozen different worlds, each unique. For every character that had a cool costume, there was one where you were scratching your head and wondering what they were thinking. And that fit the setting!

Later revamps have included an entire Legion redesigned from the ground up by the same artist (or worse, wearing some sort of same-y unified look), and even in the case of that being a good artist, like Sook, everyone kind of follows a similar design aesthetic, and that's less 'Legion' to me.

Astonishing Member

Absolutely hate the unified look. Lack of originality. On one hand, I can see the need for team uniforms, but I always preferred the individual looks. I also agree that one designer for the entire team is not a great idea.
    Last edited by kcekada; 01-17-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I liked a few of Giffen's costume changes - Karate Kid, Shadow Lass, Duo Damsel - but for the most part, it was a step backwards IMO. He was a great artist but not much of a costume designer.