Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I think one of the most interesting thing about the Legion is the members' vow to never kill. Several members were confronting with that temptation, as Cosmic Boy was here.
    Not to mention that issue where Star Boy was forced to kill in self-defence and was thrown out of the Legion because of it.

At least one that I can remember actually gave in to her urge and murdered her husband's killer.
    I believe that would be Princess Projectra.

This was an amazing issue. Loved the spotlight on Cos.
    Agreed. I also thought Night Girl was great here.

I never understood Element Lad's anger at Dream Girl. All she did was decide to run for leader, which is the right of any full time member. He should've been angry with all the members that voted for her since he had been Deputy for so many terms.
    Absolutely. It seemed to me like he was just a sore loser.

This issue begins the mystery of what's going on with Shrinking Violet. Element Lad and Shvaughn make a cute couple from the beginning.
    True. Pity about Element Lad's detestable behaviour.

Astonishing Member

Although I would eventually purchase these most recently reviewed issues from back stock, I initially passed on all three when they were new. I wasn't a fan of the Curt Swan fill ins -- even though I liked his his old Legion work. And the stories didn't seem very Legion to me. I finally picked it up again in the conclusion where White Witch totally humiliates Kharlak.

When I first saw White Witch in her 80s form, I wasn't sure it was the same character that debuted in the Evillo story. That woman seemed more mature, confident and capable than Mysa was portrayed by Levtiz. The new visual was nice and sleek, but what happened to the va va va voom character of the 60s? Admittedly, we didn't see much of her in action -- but if she could negate a spell by Mordru to destory Legion HQ, she must have been a pretty big deal even then. I did appreciate the way Levtiz limited her abilities, but think it was a bit of a retcon.

The Cosmic Boy issue was one that I should have gotten when it was first released. It was probably the very first time I had any appreciation for the character. I think Legion writers -- neglected updating the Legionnaires sufficiently as readers became more sophisticated. Ultra Boy's one power at a time felt like a gimmick. I love it as a grade schooler, but groaned at it as a college student (when most of the Levitz/Giffen books came out). Even if Jo had limited energy, it seemed he should have been able to divide it among more than one power. Then there is Light Lass. It wasn't until Mark Waid's threeboot that someone acknowledged just how powerful the ability to negate gravity can be.

So, I was happy to see Cosmic Boy's magnetic abilities addressed. I agree with others who observed that DC had to play off of Marvel's ideas in regard to Legion powers. I think that's because Levtiz tended to focus on their personalities and relationships more than on their powers.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #299 - Invisible Kid battles...Invisible Kid, the White Witch single-handedly defeats Karlak the Khund, and Shadow Lass' new appearance foreshadows an Adult Legion image.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-299.html

Extraordinary Member

Not too crazy about that cover. Is 'deader' even a word?

Like another poster said, I loved the one-woman show down the White Witch had with Karlak.

I have no clue what that whole Wildfire/Invisible Kid II/Invisible Kid I world was all about. And I really wasn't interested. I wasn't aware that Projectra had even met Jacques yet. Maybe during Great Darkness?

Did anyone else fear that Shadow Lass was toast when she showed up in white makeup at the end?

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of Legion of Super Heroes #300 - Superboy and Supergirl visit the Legion, Shadow Lass and Mon-El help against an attack of a science asteroid, and Brainiac Five and Rond Vidar try to help a mysterious patient suffering from madness and visions.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...es-v2-300.html

Extraordinary Member

This issue was confusing to me at first because Douglas' memories were in error. But this was explained toward the end. Nice seeing Brainiac Five and Rond Vidar working together.

I loved having the patient be Douglas Nolan and his ending was sad but also very uplifting. Levitz really knew what to do with this book.

What a relief that Shadow Lass did not die. I held my breath (figuratively) through the entire issue.

Loved seeing Supergirl and Superboy again.

I've posted this many times, but this is my favorite Legion scene. However, I hate that Wildfire isn't in his containment suit. And although Light Lass and Matter Eater Lad are seen in the background, Tyroc is nowhere to be seen.

But I still love this poster.

Ultimate Member

I've posted this many times, but this is my favorite Legion scene. However, I hate that Wildfire isn't in his containment suit. And although Light Lass and Matter Eater Lad are seen in the background, Tyroc is nowhere to be seen.

I think it's cheeky of Wildfire to be out of his containment suit, for, like, *no reason.* It's like class picture day, and he showed up naked!

It's also fun how, as any of us who've tried to take a family photo can tell you, it's just impossible to find a moment where everyone is 'ready' and looking at the camera at the same time!

Color Kid's back there, "Are they ever going to take the damn picture?" and Stone Boy is, "You missed it. They just did."

...Tyroc is nowhere to be seen.

Maybe Tyroc's the one wearing the Spider-Man costume in the back...

Wrong! Tyroc is Batman!
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Tyroc's got no time for standing around taking picture. Marzal doesn't police itself!

Extraordinary Member

Giffen has gone on record saying that drawing the (below) Legion poster is what burned him out on the book. Just think if they had released the above artwork as the poster instead. Maybe he wouldn't have changed his art style and would've been satisfied (and able) to continue drawing the book for a while longer (and in the same style we all loved). But then, maybe we wouldn't have gotten Steve Lightle for a little while either.

Astonishing Member

I still have that poster!

Haters complain about the large cast of the Legion, but there were so many great characters from the series. I wish Levitz had brought in more Subs and Academy members. Infectious Lass, Power Kid and Lamprey were all visually diverse. I didn't like Tyroc when he debuted -- his powers and outfit were not inspired. But I appreciated his post Crisis appearances. He got a raw deal! Always had affection for the Tornado Twins. When was it revealed that they were actually Barry's kids -- maybe Waid's run on the Flash?

Regarding the anniversary issue -- it was a cool story, and I was like a pig in slop seeing Dave Cockrum draw a chapter!

Incredible Member

I much preferred the more zen version of Jan in the Fve Years Later series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I still have that poster!
    I have the smaller version that came with the original trade for The Great Darkness Saga. It's a cool poster for sure.

I have the smaller version that came with the original trade for The Great Darkness Saga. It's a cool poster for sure.
    I have that one too. Good memories.

Peace