Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. ^_^

Oh yeah, any name level characters in H&L would whup on the kids. Even Chiharu, or the White Rascals glam guys. They fight more smoothly, hit much harder, and have inhuman damage soak.

I'm now imagining Po or Yu in that hallway fight, absolutely dominating everyone.
    Right, I ultimately gave Chiharu a lot more credit as he is one of Sannoh's main guys for a reason (since Sannoh Rengokai had like a dozen guys in constant warfare against gangs with bigger numbers).

...Yeah, even with Johnny and Daniel involved, I'm not seeing the Cobra Kai cast bringing down one of the named characters down for a ten count despite numbers.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Twister View Post
    Right, I ultimately gave Chiharu a lot more credit as he is one of Sannoh's main guys for a reason (since Sannoh Rengokai had like a dozen guys in constant warfare against gangs with bigger numbers).
    No question Chiharu is a fighter worthy of being 'name-level' in H&L. I just count him as one of the 'lower' name-level ones because of his showing at the beginning of the huuuuge fight in 'The Movie'.

1. Saved by Koo;
    2. Saved by Fururyu (which was an great character moment for the two of them, given their history).

But outside of that, he does quite well - good point.

...Yeah, even with Johnny and Daniel involved, I'm not seeing the Cobra Kai cast bringing down one of the named characters down for a ten count despite numbers.
    They just take too much damage, and dish it out in spades. Even the very basic name-level people one-punch gang members (who beat each other with bats, metal bars, etc), eat hits from people swinging metal bars without serious injury, knock people flying, take on (large) groups of armed enemies and come out on top, etc.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-05-2021 at 07:39 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

No question Chiharu is a fighter worthy of being 'name-level' in H&L. I just count him as one of the 'lower' name-level ones because of his showing at the beginning of the huuuuge fight in 'The Movie'.

1. Saved by Koo;
    2. Saved by Fururyu (which was an great character moment for the two of them, given their history).

But outside of that, he does quite well - good point.
    Point taken. Oh man, the first fight at the first half is literally rifed with guys who had serious gripes against one another snarking or do playful banter back and forth while beating up mooks. Yamato and Rocky, Cobra and Hyuga, etc. All in good fun.

They just take too much damage, and dish it out in spades. Even the very basic name-level people one-punch gang members (who beat each other with bats, metal bars, etc), eat hits from people swinging metal bars without serious injury, knock people flying, take on (large) groups of armed enemies and come out on top, etc.
    Indeedy.

But right, probably back to continue discussing Cobra Kai than gush bout High&Low for this thread. Haha.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Point taken. Oh man, the first fight at the first half is literally rifed with guys who had serious gripes against one another snarking or do playful banter back and forth while beating up mooks. Yamato and Rocky, Cobra and Hyuga, etc. All in good fun.
    Truth. That's what makes it fun. ^_^ H&L is at its best when the different gangs are chatting with each other, like in the conference at the start of End of Sky. ^_^

Indeedy.

But right, probably back to continue discussing Cobra Kai than gush bout High&Low for this thread. Haha.
    Derailment complete, we now resume our regular programming. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

as for the fight, i believe it all comes down to if Miguel can dispatch Robby and help his team member before Sam dispatches Tory and does the same. and even then i think Miguel has a better short of fighting robby and sam then sam has of fighting tory and miguel.

Just returning to chime in about S3 expectations:

spoilers:
    It wouldn't make sense storywise, but the S3 trailers had me hoping for a Chozen vs. Johnny battle. In hindsight, Chozen would have mopped the floor with Johnny (and so we don't post curbstomps here!), but that, too, would have been fun to watch)
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

I have not seen the last episode of season 3 yet, but i say Miguel and Tory should easily win if nothing drastically changed in that episode, despite what happened in the season 2 finale for the following reasons.

I consider Sam winning against Tory to be pure plot magic, their fight got interrupted twice both times as Tory had the upperhand, and Sam won right in a moment where she should have no chance anymore almost the same way Dimitri won against Hawk. And even by making a raw comparison: Tory has more range, seems to be a lot stronger, more athletic, at least as tough if not more, far more willing to use everything, and has a weapon, i will not compare their skill because i believe the actress of Sam just isn't able to give a good performance at looking skilled, but both are clearly meant to be very skilled.

Miguel was about to win his fight without contradicting context, and just showing mercy in the wrong moment screwed him over, the only way i could see for Robby and Sam is if Miguel again shows mercy in the wrong moment and Tory gets overwhelmed by Robbie and Sam at once after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    as for the fight, i believe it all comes down to if Miguel can dispatch Robby and help his team member before Sam dispatches Tory and does the same. and even then i think Miguel has a better short of fighting robby and sam then sam has of fighting tory and miguel.
    I don't think Sam has much chance to dispatch Tory without the plot helping her again, and her fighting against Miguel and Tory at once should mean an instant loss for her.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 01-05-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Just returning to chime in about S3 expectations:

spoilers:
    It wouldn't make sense storywise, but the S3 trailers had me hoping for a Chozen vs. Johnny battle. In hindsight, Chozen would have mopped the floor with Johnny (and so we don't post curbstomps here!), but that, too, would have been fun to watch)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Chozen might be the strongest fighter we ever see in Cobra Kai, poor Johnny wouldn't stand any chance.
    end of spoilers

Yeah, though Hawk is basically an antagonist here, he does have that kind of energy most Oya High guys showed.

...I'm now mostly convinced any of the low tier characters of High&Low would single handily thrash those kids btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVkcbAlZns

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Incredible Member

Oh gawd, do they do 'fighting dirty' on that show?
    Not in the way you mean. That's one thing I really love about it.

So, question - was this a 'real' fight (ie, spontaneous with two people deciding to go at each other for reasons), or was it an event with rules laid out beforehand, and agreed to by both sides?'
    'Real' fight.

'Cause if it's the latter, sure, breaking the rules is cheating and sure, 'dirty'. But if it was the former? *shrugs* Just means one person decided to use weapons. Makes them potentially murderous, but not 'dirty'.
    Very true. What I found amusing was that Sam complained "is that the only way you know how to fight? Dirty?" even before Tory brought out the spiked knuckleduster.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya
    I consider Sam winning against Tory to be pure plot magic, their fight got interrupted twice both times as Tory had the upperhand, and Sam won right in a moment where she should have no chance anymore almost the same way Dimitri won against Hawk.'
    No offense but I respectfully disagree. Sam beat Tory by knocking her onto a lower level of the stairs. A circumstantial victory yes, but I wouldn't call it "plot magic." Fights are not always won by the one who 'should' win. Factors such as location, environment and such make a difference. Even a lesser foe can overcome a better one given the right circumstances. Heck, Ratchet was able to beat Megatron that way in the comics one time.

Dimitri vs. Hawk was problematic but remember Hawk had been fighting for some time at that point so he was probably starting to get fatigued. Plus his shock at Dimitri being able to block his attack (the unexpected can be a big game changer). My only real problem with it was that last kick seemed beyond Dimitri's level. Personally if I'd been the choreographer I'd have had him dodge a flying kick and Hawk take himself out by crashing into the case.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 01-05-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    No offense but I respectfully disagree. Sam beat Tory by knocking her onto a lower level of the stairs. A circumstantial victory yes, but I wouldn't call it "plot magic." Fights are not always won by the one who 'should' win. Factors such as location, environment and such make a difference. Even a lesser foe can overcome a better one given the right circumstances. Heck, Ratchet was able to beat Megatron that way in the comics one time.

Dimitri vs. Hawk was problematic but remember Hawk had been fighting for some time at that point so he was probably starting to get fatigued. Plus his shock at Dimitri being able to block his attack (the unexpected can be a big game changer). My only real problem with it was that last kick seemed beyond Dimitri's level. Personally if I'd been the choreographer I'd have had him dodge a flying kick and Hawk take himself out by crashing into the case.
    I would consider the character who should win losing a type of plot magic, at least if it is so obvious part of the plot, if it just would have been Sam getting lucky in the end maybe not but the 2 interruptions specifically as Tory had the upperhand were a bit too much to take it seriously. And the drinking contest before also don't helps, it made even kind of sense, but what a laughable kind of victory was that with Tory probably having drank 10 times as much as Sam before lol.

Yeah both fights were problematic because even if Hawk was fatigued was Dimitri too good like you say, and another part of me calling it plot magic is that Miyagi Do has won all major fights, even though they should have lost all 3 going by the fighters.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 01-06-2021 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    spoilers:
    Chozen might be the strongest fighter we ever see in Cobra Kai, poor Johnny wouldn't stand any chance.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Like I said, it would be a curbstomp. But I'm always down to watch Johnny lose a fight while he's got a level head rather than drunk or otherwise mostly handicapped.
    end of spoilers

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    spoilers:
    Like I said, it would be a curbstomp. But I'm always down to watch Johnny lose a fight while he's got a level head rather than drunk or otherwise mostly handicapped.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. Chozen is basically Daniel if he'd focussed on martial arts and never had the dealership, family etc. How do you guys see the ranking stack up now in CK? Chozen>Daniel>Johnny>Kreese?
    end of spoilers