Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Kwannon was amazing in Excalibur, it is honestly quite amazing how Tini can write her so good and yet her Bets is not quite there yet, for me.

I'm totally down for red/black combo, exposed shoulders. Something about the skirt of this thing I dont like though :/

But she looked amazing in the issue today.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Kwannon was amazing in Excalibur, it is honestly quite amazing how Tini can write her so good and yet her Bets is not quite there yet, for me.
    She’s amazing in that. I feel like she’s really representing me as an introvert as well haha

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Copied from Excalibur 20 thread:

Let me start by saying Kwannon is now one of my favorite characters between Wells and Tini I LOVE the overall direction of her character and I can see her doing some great things. That's said!

This issue was more disappointing for me I thought Malice could have a MUCH better origin story than told here especially with such topics as identity and displacement or even self love. I also agree this could have been a wonderful opportunity for more diversity, but more importantly Malice could have been used much better in this story. Everything about Bets and Kwannon motivations for saving her were contrived and could have been expanded upon in the previous two issues thus giving this issue more payoff. Malice as a parallel to Bets and Kwannon is such a good idea but the execution was horrible, it did nothing for Malice and in some places Bets came off looking like a fool imo.

I genuinely get what Tini is trying to do and the last few issues have highlighted that but she has no grasp at all of pacing or how to elicit emotion from her audience. She had 22 issues to craft a really complex and emotionally resonating story between Bets and Kwannon and she continues to fail in that regard, nothing she's done with them has any meaning or long term ramifications things are simply happening. Which is unfortunate because no issue for me more than this demonstrates how much potential is there if she did a better job executing her ideas.

That said Kwannon has continued to be a standout under her pen, she understands the character in a way that she simply does not get anyone else in her cast, outside of when she wrote Apocalypse. I kept waiting on that moment where Bets shows her strength of self and identity and for me it never came her Bets continues to read bland and uninspired which is a stark contrast to how vibrant, in control her Kwannon continues to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    She was just a "disembodied psyche" metaphor to bring Kwannon and Betsy together.

A bit clumsy, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    The concept of this issue is nice.

The execution is not.

They never address why Alice is suicidal. They never even really hint at it.

And then they kill her and just resurrect her and go "Job well done." and it's like... what?! NO SERIOUSLY WHAT?!
    Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Seriously, what was the point of this? If they were going to do a Malice story, it should have been in X-Factor and it absolutely should have included Lorna.

Doing this kind of random, out-of-the-box storyline requires finesse and an accurately thorough knowledge of history and continuity. Howard has neither. Mike Carey was someone who did this well.
    All of this!!

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Honestly, I don't want her to wear anything that Betsy has worn BUT if they turned the Bunncanny uniform or the Anka uniform into a navy blue instead of black I think that would be awesome!
    If we ar to take Kwannon as a standalone character in her own right, she should have her own set of accoutrements. Not only should what she wears not be a Betsy castoff, but also her NAME should be likewise something of her own. Or was the Hand costume attributed to Kwannon before Spiral remixed the ladies into Lady Madarin back in the day? I only recall pre-Betsy Kwannon as being shown wearing traditional ninja gear when shown in flashbacks with Matsu'o. Looking back I see how they can justify K keeping there Butterly power signature though...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

PsyCptB.jpg

A work in progress I started as a warm up the other day.
    Last edited by PsionicHero; 04-14-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    PsyCptB.jpg

A work in progress I started as a warm up the other day.
    This is gorge.

Hellions continues to be a great book and Kwannon continues to become more and more complex. Did sinister really just outsource spoilers:
    creation of chimeras to arcade.
    end of spoilers the man's a genius.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Well, it's official: Kwannon is more instersting that Betsy at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Well, it's official: Kwannon is more instersting that Betsy at the moment.
    Prime example how a character is one good book or one terrible one from a rise and fall. Kwannon in fallen angels compared to Hellions is night and day but the legacy of fallen agnel still lives on.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Fantastic Member

Hellions really is turning Kwannon into a new fave for me. What a great issue today!

Kwannon is thriving and I am pleased for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Prime example how a character is one good book or one terrible one from a rise and fall. Kwannon in fallen angels compared to Hellions is night and day but the legacy of fallen agnel still lives on.
    I always see people hating on Fallen Angels but I actually enjoyed that series because it fleshed out Kwannon's backstory and helped get her to the point where she is today in Hellions (which I'm loving). Granted, I will admit that the other characters in that book were poorly written and the art was awful...

Quote Originally Posted by Flameworthy View Post
    I always see people hating on Fallen Angels but I actually enjoyed that series because it fleshed out Kwannon's backstory and helped get her to the point where she is today in Hellions (which I'm loving). Granted, I will admit that the other characters in that book were poorly written and the art was awful...
    I think given the premise of the book the only character that worked in it was kwannon and that was the problem. this wasn't a cast of fallen noobs despite there being many that could have used the shine and potentially improved the book so you had people who like laura seeing her coming off as inexperienced and the same with Nate while kwannon, the one who just got her body back is supposedly the one who is sure enough to get them through things. Overall it just didn't make sense. The art definitely didn't help, that is some of the worst art i think i have ever seen published. The tracing put Greg land to shame. I was reading my trade of Dawn the other day and when i got to the fallen angel pages it was even worse than i remembered. But he wrote one heck of a kwannon and i'm thankful for that too. There was a lot of doubt among people if she could stand with so little history of her own but here she is.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think given the premise of the book the only character that worked in it was kwannon and that was the problem. this wasn't a cast of fallen noobs despite there being many that could have used the shine and potentially improved the book so you had people who like laura seeing her coming off as inexperienced and the same with Nate while kwannon, the one who just got her body back is supposedly the one who is sure enough to get them through things. Overall it just didn't make sense. The art definitely didn't help, that is some of the worst art i think i have ever seen published. The tracing put Greg land to shame. I was reading my trade of Dawn the other day and when i got to the fallen angel pages it was even worse than i remembered. But he wrote one heck of a kwannon and i'm thankful for that too. There was a lot of doubt among people if she could stand with so little history of her own but here she is.
    The Noob thing was Kwannon, Teaching like she was taught in the past. She actually in Fallen Angels admitted to the competency of Laura and Cable. The thing people were most upset about in that book wasn't a flaw but a feature. Fallen Angels is forever remembered as Kwannon treating Cable and X23 like amateurs and ignore that book actually addresses that problem and corrects it.But art was hot trash and Hill was super wordy and flowery philosophical as well so it wasn't a fun read after the first issue.

It does not matter now because book did it job for Kwannon setting up her past