Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post

You just know some writer is going to come along and maybe re-tread stories that were originally with Bets but replace her with Kwannon, moreover where does it leave Bets place among the X-men proper?
    I agree that she will probably the in the more dangerous missions and extreme teams like Betsy was being used in the past decade. As for Betsy, I think she will now be in a more traditional heroic role, and mainly in Otherworld I'm afraid. At least as long as she's Captain Britain. Which I hope is not forever.
    A picture would last longer darling...

I’m not that keen on Hellions, but Kwannon is pretty cool in it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    bc of the terrible way Marvel handled her return, stripping Betsy of everything that made her Psylocke and giving it to Kwannon. I dont want to go into all that again but Kwannon just seemed redundant at first and Rosenberg and later the FA writer didnt do a good job of characterizing her IMO. It took a while but several issues in and Zeb is doing wonders with her. She actually feels like a character and not a plot device to move the story along. The artist is helping with that too as she looks uniquely Kwannon despite the Betsy imagery which has inspired her look. Its hard to explain. I know part of it is bc I loved Psylocke and for all intents of purposes thats who Kwannon is now. Ive internally stopped fighting it and just accepted that. On the flipside, Betsy is unfortunately now boring to me
    For how she looks visually she now has her natural black hair color, instead of the dyed purple and her eyes are clearly brown. Her features are drawn clearly Asian which some artists forgot to do when Betsy was in her body. Plus we see her motivations for working with Sinister is to her daughter back. She is code names Psylocke but she has a very different past from Elizabeth and we’re learning more about how she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I will say this, after awhile of reading Hellions I kinda stop doing that thing in my head of attaching her to Bets. When I read Psylocke now, I'm reading her as Kwannon whereas before she didn't feel like a real character imo. Even in Fallen Angels, I did not follow that series closely but the issue or two I did read, I was not a fan of how he was using her. Flashforward to Hellions, and Kwannon has honest to goodness become her own character and with her own personality. It's a testament to Wells, but as good as Hellion is and it is, I'm fascinated in how Psylocke will be used moving forward. Will she take on Bets former role among the X-men at large or will she remain a character who functions on the peripheral side of things and titles?

You just know some writer is going to come along and maybe re-tread stories that were originally with Bets but replace her with Kwannon, moreover where does it leave Bets place among the X-men proper?
    Agreed, Wells really is one of the top tier writers of the 00s.

As for Kwannon and Betsy's place going forward. Given the way they've maneuvered both of them, I think Kwannon will definitely inheirt some of Betsy's old archetype in the X-Men. If an X-writer wants a cloak-n-dagger type telepath on X-Force in the future; Kwannon fits that. It's basically what she has been doing in Hellions as is.

However they are going to need to treat her essentially as a new character moving forward, as she doesn't have the connections Betsy does to the X-Men. She'll need to build new one's. In that way, Hellions is still sort of a stop-gap for her development, because while we are getting to know her character better; outside of Havok I don't picture of the others sticking around as staple X-Men after Wells. Though I do like the flipside of this situation, Kwannon is able to grow and become comfortable in her environment because no one has reasons to bring up the identity crisis on the team.

As for Betsy, I think she's evolved into what the character in-universe always wanted to be. A psionic/magic knight, she'll be tied to Otherworld and her brother more closely in the future I think. She might take the CB mantle permanently if they want and leave Brian as Captain Avalon though really the reverse makes more sense. I think she'll parallel Carol Danvers in the wider MU but for the X-Men, not in terms of influence, but as a authority figure into the supernatural instead of space. Considering Tini is supposed to be figure heading mutant magic, it makes sense in my head. regardless of how poorly Tini has actually developed the concept

But yea, I think they have clear spaces to work with. You want a gritty or darker themed book with a telepath, that's Kwannon. You want a high fantasy book with a magic psiknight, that's Betsy. I think Hellions and Excalibur basically exemplify this pretty well.

I would really love someone like Alyssa Wong to take over Kwannon for a bit and develop her other than a badass ninja and a sex symbol. Like for example Storm loves gardening and collussus loves painting and kwannon loves ????.

Also similar to how Emma used to be just “she’s hot and blonde” and now she’s like a really driven important character with an ideology just as nuanced as magneto’s or charles’

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I wonder how Kwannon will react when she finally meets Sabretooth. Will it be an immediate enmity, or ambivalence, because of the situation going on.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I would love to see how Kwannon reacts to Nightcrawler’s make more mutants edict actually. I think she has the chance to be the number 1 voice on krakoa for body autonomy. Might even get a seat on the quiet council if she really goes for it

BANNED

Mark Brooks cover for X-Men Demon Days is so pretty hnnnnnggggg

Geez that is stunning. Makes me really want a Psylocke game I know we’ll never have but imagine the cyber sword from Doom meets Ghost of Tsushima with a modern flair

Extraordinary Member

Astonishing Member

what is the definitive take on "Psylocke" that isn't Betsy? I only know Betsy though Claremont's run and Jim Lee's revamp but I am not sure I know what Psylocke's voice is. When I started reading Hellions I was like, now I can get to know who she is really but heck I might have missed a run, or a limited series somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    what is the definitive take on "Psylocke" that isn't Betsy? I only know Betsy though Claremont's run and Jim Lee's revamp but I am not sure I know what Psylocke's voice is. When I started reading Hellions I was like, now I can get to know who she is really but heck I might have missed a run, or a limited series somewhere.
    I dont get the question. What is the definitive Kwannon? If so then its Hellions. She hasnt appeared much so she was ill defined until now

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont get the question. What is the definitive Kwannon? If so then its Hellions. She hasnt appeared much so she was ill defined until now
    there are so many side X-related mini-series that sometimes come out that you might miss. Like I didn't pick up the Wolverine one were she split, and I recently purchased a Bishop and Gambit and Hunt for Cyclops mini's I never knew existed from back in the 90's. I know I have never seen much of her non Betsy but that doesn't mean there wasn't something out there I missed. So Betsy is the one that had the relationship with Warren then?

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    there are so many side X-related mini-series that sometimes come out that you might miss. Like I didn't pick up the Wolverine one were she split, and I recently purchased a Bishop and Gambit and Hunt for Cyclops mini's I never knew existed from back in the 90's. I know I have never seen much of her non Betsy but that doesn't mean there wasn't something out there I missed. So Betsy is the one that had the relationship with Warren then?
    Yes. Kwannon only existed for about a year in the 90s and was only written by Nicieza. She appeared in the Avengers Bloodties crossover but I dont think she had any lines. After she dies, she doesnt appear again until 2019 and has only been written by Rosenberg in Uncanny X-men, Hill in Fallen Angels and now Wells in hellions

BANNED

Looks like I'm gonna have to read Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor, again...
    Last edited by Micabe; 02-09-2021 at 11:32 AM.