Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There is one Kwannon. There is no indication that this is a new character
    Kwannon says she was in her body all along.

Thus current continuity ignores Revanche.

No need to argumentative. If you can find where Kwannon says she was ever Revanche or in Betsy’s old body please inform me.

Otherwise, obviously writers are ignoring it for simplicity’s sake.

BANNED

The 90s had writers who were determined to make origins explanations are absurdly complicated as possible. M was the twins for example. Later writers found it problematic to have a 16 year old be two 8 year old girls, so the real M was introduced and the twins written off.

Likewise, we have not once seen Revanche even referred to, or that she died by mercy killing by Matsuo aa she was near death from the legacy virus.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    There’s nothing on text says this Kwannon was ever Revanche, nor where there flashback pictures that even implied she was.

The writers basically retconned Revanche out. Not a hard retcon, but a soft not even acknowledging she exists.

And the Sisterhood storyline was not referenced in Kwannon’s resurrection, nor did Kwannon appear in that story.
    You're missing all Marvel promotions from back then and the covers/cards where its stated that Kwannon is Revanche.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    You're missing all Marvel promotions from back then and the covers/cards where its stated that Kwannon is Revanche.
    yeah Revanche was simply a different codename for the same character. Was Betsy Braddock never Psylocke bc she now goes by Captain Britain? Of course not

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Kwannon says she was in her body all along.

Thus current continuity ignores Revanche.

No need to argumentative. If you can find where Kwannon says she was ever Revanche or in Betsy’s old body please inform me.

Otherwise, obviously writers are ignoring it for simplicity’s sake.
    Kwannon's time during the 90s is referenced in the Captain Britain chapter of the X of Swords Official Handbook

Kwannon and Betsy have zero connection without acknowledging the body switch which sheds light on the context behind their intertwined history. The current writers dont need to go into that in any great detail; we all get it. Without it, Betsy is just some random white woman whose body she was trapped in, which makes even less sense had there not been a switch to begin with. Like the whole arc in Excalibur with Malice, the mind swapping and bringing in Kwannon for this doesnt hit without having the Revanche context

The only time Kwannon was ever seperated from her body was when she was in Betsy's as Revanche. This line makes no sense if you believe Revanche wasnt a thing for her
    Last edited by Havok83; 11-03-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Just like Donna Troy over at DC, we should just appreciate and enjoy Kwannon as a character without having to dissect or acknowledge their origin. It’s way too convoluted with the headache-inducing amount of plot holes writers have added over the years and nothing makes sense at this point.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Just like Donna Troy over at DC, we should just appreciate and enjoy Kwannon as a character without having to dissect or acknowledge their origin. It’s way too convoluted with the headache-inducing amount of plot holes writers have added over the years and nothing makes sense at this point.
    Marvel also had issues with the body swap. In today’s climate it was viewed as racially insensitive, on top of being convoluted. We won’t ever see Revanche referenced to again. Havok83 just loves being argumentative.

I mean you asked to be informed and I showed receipts, which i noticed went ignored

Mighty Member

To say Revanche didn’t happen (sorry I thought the whole thing was a mess from the original storyline) is picking and choosing what’s part of this character’s past. It was a period of time. Without that happening, we wouldn’t even have Kwannon. We have them in the rightful bodies. It’s all good. Let her grow as her own character.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Kwannon is on the new team of Marauders.

I think it's an easy explanation/headcanon to think that, after she died from the virus, her mind went back to her old body (now Betsy's) in a dormant state. And/or, that with the body switch actually being more of a "merger", there was a part of her and a part of Betsy in both bodies. After Betsy puts her psyche in a whole new body, Kwannon's psyche takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I think it's an easy explanation/headcanon to think that, after she died from the virus, her mind went back to her old body (now Betsy's) in a dormant state. And/or, that with the body switch actually being more of a "merger", there was a part of her and a part of Betsy in both bodies. After Betsy puts her psyche in a whole new body, Kwannon's psyche takes over.
    that ignores the fact that Betsy died in X-treme X-men though and when she returned, she came back in a completley different body. If Kwannon had been with her after mid 90s Xmen, then she should have been separated by the death.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    that ignores the fact that Betsy died in X-treme X-men though and when she returned, she came back in a completley different body. If Kwannon had been with her after mid 90s Xmen, then she should have been separated by the death.
    It never made sense to me that Jamie would resurrect Betsy into a reconstructed Kwannon body in the first place, but there were real world reasons for that. So you gotta chalk it up to the fact that he's crazy. *shrug*

Actually, if Claremont had taken that opportunity to bring back the OG British body, that would have been a much cleaner solution. Fraction's "Sisterhood" arc and Yost's mini, and the dreadful "Mystery in Madripoor" would have all been unnecessary...

*waits patiently for someone to tell me why that's stupid and wrong*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Wasn't that Claremont's original plan? I swear I read she was supposed to come back in her original body but Editorial wanted the sexy ninja back. In any case I'm glad things worked out to allow them to separate and be their own characters, even if there are still some kinks to be worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Wasn't that Claremont's original plan? I swear I read she was supposed to come back in her original body but Editorial wanted the sexy ninja back. In any case I'm glad things worked out to allow them to separate and be their own characters, even if there are still some kinks to be worked out.
    I’m on the exact same page! Love that we have them both now. Now Betsy needs to get the same stellar treatment Kwannon received in Hellions
    A picture would last longer darling...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    It never made sense to me that Jamie would resurrect Betsy into a reconstructed Kwannon body in the first place, but there were real world reasons for that. So you gotta chalk it up to the fact that he's crazy. *shrug*

Actually, if Claremont had taken that opportunity to bring back the OG British body, that would have been a much cleaner solution. Fraction's "Sisterhood" arc and Yost's mini, and the dreadful "Mystery in Madripoor" would have all been unnecessary...

*waits patiently for someone to tell me why that's stupid and wrong*
    The X-Men would have lost a prominent Asian member.

That’s why Claremont wasn’t allowed to resurrect Psylocke in her original body.

Think of the politics of just declaring Kwannon, an Asian woman, as just skin to be shedded.

Marvel was aware of that so they held off until a writer came up the idea to bring back Betsy’s original body while giving Kwannon her own body back and restoring her person hood.