Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    It also helps that Hellions was, IMHO, one of the funniest and well written of the Dawn of X series of books.
    right? I'm very happy Kwannon is in one of the best books, beautifully drawn and has a great role in it.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Mighty Member

Kwannon has gotten more character growth in 8 issues of Hellions than Betsy in 16 issues of Excalibur. It’s like they took everything we loved about Betsy and just gave it to Kwannon and now Betsy is bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Kwannon has gotten more character growth in 8 issues of Hellions than Betsy in 16 issues of Excalibur. It’s like they took everything we loved about Betsy and just gave it to Kwannon and now Betsy is bland.
    Thats exactly what happened. I want to not like her but she was awesome in today's issue. Betsy has been a nonfactor as a character since Age of X-man. She just dopesnt pop at all in the current era. Wells is doing amazing things with Kwannon

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats exactly what happened. I want to not like her but she was awesome in today's issue. Betsy has been a nonfactor as a character since Age of X-man. She just dopesnt pop at all in the current era. Wells is doing amazing things with Kwannon
    As a Betsy fan and not a fan of the body melding retcon and then this takeover of the Psylocke brand, I didn’t want to like her. I didn’t like her in FA but Wells is killing it. Even if she’s not getting tons of big character time with this cast of 8, she’s gotten more likable and sympathetic. I just need them to really change the costume and the butterfly effect. I think that’s my only complaint about her.

Thats how i feel as well. Reading Kwannon in Hellion is just like reading Betsy in her Psylocke days. Pretty much the same character with different story/plot. While Betsy in Excalibur feels like a new character in a familiar story/plot (otherworld-Braddock stuff)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Thats how i feel as well. Reading Kwannon in Hellion is just like reading Betsy in her Psylocke days. Pretty much the same character with different story/plot. While Betsy in Excalibur feels like a new character in a familiar story/plot (otherworld-Braddock stuff)
    My girl Betsy in Excalibur puts me to sleep now. I mean.. when she’s actually in the book.

My girl Betsy in Excalibur puts me to sleep now. I mean.. when she’s actually in the book.
    Blame Tini Howard. I do.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Agreed. I never disliked Kwannon.

Tini went in a direction that isn’t doing Betsy any favors.

I always figured they had similar personalities.

But the only difference is that she had a kid who is now part of an AI hive.

Zeb Wells is doing great with Kwannon.

This is not Kwannon becoming Psylocke, this is her doing her own thing. As Psylocke, Betsy grew sick of herself killing and wanted to stop. Kwannon Psylocke just quietly accepts that the she is a killer.

I really appreciate how Wells writes Kwannon. She's very uncomplicated in a way thats compelling to me. Her relationship with Greycrow is developing into one of my favorite character interactions in the X-verse. Theres a lot of potential there
    I do wish she used her powers more.

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    I really appreciate how Wells writes Kwannon. She's very uncomplicated in a way thats compelling to me. Her relationship with Greycrow is developing into one of my favorite character interactions in the X-verse. Theres a lot of potential there
    I do wish she used her powers more.
    Yup. Greycrow has been a killer but wants to be a better person, Kwannon has just realized (over in Fallen Angels) that her training by the hand broke her as a person to make her a killer. She accepts it, as she seems to think that this world needs killers, so she does her thing with a quiet dignity. However, she is happy to grant Greycrow the second chance he seeks. "It is okey" she says. Super compelling. I wonder what will happen when Betsy tries to force her way into her mind again.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Yup. Greycrow has been a killer but wants to be a better person, Kwannon has just realized (over in Fallen Angels) that her training by the hand broke her as a person to make her a killer. She accepts it, as she seems to think that this world needs killers, so she does her thing with a quiet dignity. However, she is happy to grant Greycrow the second chance he seeks. "It is okey" she says. Super compelling. I wonder what will happen when Betsy tries to force her way into her mind again.
    That was indeed one of the best moments of the book. That's part of why I think she and Betsy could be great as a duo. Apart from all the trauma they shared, they compliment each other in that regard. Kwannon is the killer capable of heroic moments and Betsy is the heroine capable of extreme measures.

They just need to settle on their respective power set for it to work and not make them redundant. Kwannon gets ninja skills, psy knife and low telepathy, Betsy gets strong telepathy and tk constructs for her more european fighting style. (and Captain Britain powers for now I guess)
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    That was indeed one of the best moments of the book. That's part of why I think she and Betsy could be great as a duo. Apart from all the trauma they shared, they compliment each other in that regard. Kwannon is the killer capable of heroic moments and Betsy is the heroine capable of extreme measures.

They just need to settle on their respective power set for it to work and not make them redundant. Kwannon gets ninja skills, psy knife and low telepathy, Betsy gets strong telepathy and tk constructs for her more european fighting style. (and Captain Britain powers for now I guess)
    Thats exactly how Kwannon has been portrayed in this book. Zeb has slowly been doing things to differentiate her from Betsy and overall a good job of defining her. I wish she had a different look but at least her hair is black instead of purple as is her costume

I also like that she fights with an actual katana instead of a psy-katana

Their first on screen panel since the change. Im look forward to them actually interacting in a meaningful capacity
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-07-2021 at 03:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post

So why should Kwannon, who is Japanese automatically be a weak telepath with no tal? There are some problematic racial undertones here.

Particularly when plenty of people in Marvel have similar power sets.

Plus if she were to bust be written as a killer/ninja, that too would be stereotyping.

We see she has grown to care for her teammates. Obviously she care for her daughter. Fallen Angels and now the Hellions shows her journey in becoming a hero.