Page 32 of 110 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Dani didn’t appropriate Norse culture, she was just a Valkyrie. Even her Valkyrie inspired look was full of references to her Native American culture. She didn’t even worship the Norse gods.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I love Betsy's back to her OG body. But the direction they've decided by taking the Psylocke legacy from her is something that I'm not okay with and it looks like it has been damaging her brand- at least in this short run. Her best moments thus far post-OG body IMO were in Dissambled and when she's in stealth mission in Queen Betsy Universe - not in her CB role.,

At first, I was pretty excited with a new direction for Betsy as CB - looked at it as Carol's ascending to Cap Marvel. But Marvel didn't push Betsy as they did with Carol. Her role in the mutant society or the marvel universe has been minimal, mainly used as a plot to rebuild the Cap Brit corps.

Reading and listening to Tini's idea on her has been exciting and but I can't help but disappointed with the execution for the first 15 issues of Excalibur, due to her wanting the write about Apocalypse first than Betsy or the Excalibur team. It has been improving since #16 and feels like a new start for the team.

All we want is a better written Betsy whatever role she's having. But at least for now, give her back her wits of using telepathy and bring back the butterfly sig-exclusively to her.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    That seems overly complicated just because you want to see her back in the Asian body.
    Then you are wrong. I only want Betsy to be useful and take back the body on her own. And clearly, 'Asian Psylocke' is there in Excalibur #18 so I hope it is Betsy doing the work by herself instead of Kwannon helping her(but only borrow her body for one last time). Can people here be less sensitive about Betsy being in the the Asian body? It is part of her adventure and it will always be.

Having the 'real' Betsy in the Asian body fighting the 'fake' Betsy in her British body with CB power would be quite an epic battle. And maybe after this fight, Betsy would realize the full potential of her British body with CB power and is able to use the full power of Captain Britain afterwards and redeem herself from being useless in the first 15 issues of Excalibur.

And I think most Betsy fans that are still following her here because they like her adventure from being an ordinary girl to strike agent, telepathy, x-men, asian ninja and magical knight. And thats why all those thing like telepathy and telekinesis power, butterfly signature, ninja skill and even CB power are important because they are what she learnt and gained during her story and make who she is now. We want progression but not regression that we don't want any of those taken away from her for marketing reason(Kwannon) but not for story wise.
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-04-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Honestly, Kwannon deserves to keep the Psylocke title. Sorry Betsy, you got done dirty, but the better woman won out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Psigal View Post
    Then you are wrong. I only want Betsy to be useful and take back the body by her own. And clearly, Kwannon is there in Excalibur #18 and I hope it is Betsy doing the work herself instead of Kwannon helping her(but only borrow her body for one last time). Can people here be less sensible about Betsy being in the the Asian body? It is part of her adventure and it will always be.
    Well, to be fair - Betsy - in her British body - was able to fight Sabretooth (on her own) in Uncanny X-Men #213 (was it?). So she's easily "useful" even in her British body.
    And later gutted by Sabretooth while in the "Asian" body.

It's up to writers to write her as useful - no matter what body she's in.

She's a telepath - she can technically shut down minds without ever getting in your face.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Honestly, Kwannon deserves to keep the Psylocke title. Sorry Betsy, you got done dirty, but the better woman won out in the end.
    Even Betsy is really useless right now, I can't agree to this. Kwannon was a Hand assassin. If it is not Betsy involved in her life, she would still be a villain and probably a dead one.

Kwannon may has the trained body and ninja skills but it is Betsy who put good use of them to make Psylocke to become a famous x-men and hero. (Also, Psylocke is Betsy's original codename 'before the body swap' and thats the reason fans are complaining because she lost it to Kwannon and also bufferfly signature.)
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-04-2021 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Well, to be fair - Betsy - in her British body - was able to fight Sabretooth (on her own) in Uncanny X-Men #213 (was it?). So she's easily "useful" even in her British body.

She's a telepath - she can technically shut down minds without ever getting in your face.
    I am talking about the situation in Excalibur #18 right now that she currently doesn't has a body so she needs one to take her clone body back form 'fake' Betsy. So, it is highly possible she borrowed Kwannon's body again instead of just asking her for help. Also, it would be a nice touch if you look back at what Rogue said to Betsy when she arrived Krakoa through the gate in issue #1 after reading the last page of issue #18.
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-04-2021 at 10:57 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I really miss her using her psycho-blast.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

She didnt fight him in 213; she evaded him. He was about to gut her too had Wolverine and Storm not shown up when they did

There was a caucasian writer who used a asian ghost writers name and got in trouble for it.

The Captain Britain Monkier has more potential then the Psylocke one especially with movies coming up

1. Betsy in her British body was more careful, and was trying to distract and elude Sabretooth long enough for help to show up. She was well aware she couldn't be a match for him.
    2. Betsy in Kwannon's body was reckless and overconfident in that moment. She thought the combination of her ninja skills and physique combined with the new Psychic Knife - she would be able to overcome him. However, he was resistant/immune at the time to the knife. Which is what cost her that battle.

It's not about which body is more useful in your two examples. It's about knowing your capabilities and reading the danger appropriately. Not to mention, again, she was throwing herself in front of Sabretooth to save a child. So...either way...she's got guts and saved the youth in those two examples.
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

No, but it's a culture. Native American people didn't worship Norse Gods.

(Again, not an issue for me, myself - just curious how people take "offense" {for lack of a better word} to some things and not others).
    Native American people still exist, and they are not a monolith -- if one wanted to worship Norse gods they would be free to do so. Dani doesn't worship them anyhow. I agree that Betsy should retain the butterfly signature (honestly, it seems like she has, there have been instances she's used it as CB or at least close approximations of it) and Kwannon should not have taken the Psylocke codename without a legitimate reason for it in-story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It’s the appropriation of Asian culture by a woman who was a Caucasian upper crust British woman, who became a stereotypical dragon woman that makes it problematic. If she had kept her personality from when she was in her original body, that’s one thing, but they didn’t.
    That is simply not true; her being among the key members from Europe has been a recurring thing for her, during her time in the Asian body, too.

And I'd say moreso than it is for Nightcrawler or Colossus.
    Dani didn’t appropriate Norse culture, she was just a Valkyrie. Even her Valkyrie inspired look was full of references to her Native American culture. She didn’t even worship the Norse gods.
    And Psylocke remained an English Catholic girl, her scenes meditating have existed since her first days as an X-Man, every telepath is a practitioner of meditation and that has had absolutely nothing to do with religious beliefs.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    I love Betsy's back to her OG body. But the direction they've decided by taking the Psylocke legacy from her is something that I'm not okay with and it looks like it has been damaging her brand- at least in this short run. Her best moments thus far post-OG body IMO were in Dissambled and when she's in stealth mission in Queen Betsy Universe - not in her CB role.,

At first, I was pretty excited with a new direction for Betsy as CB - looked at it as Carol's ascending to Cap Marvel. But Marvel didn't push Betsy as they did with Carol. Her role in the mutant society or the marvel universe has been minimal, mainly used as a plot to rebuild the Cap Brit corps.

Reading and listening to Tini's idea on her has been exciting and but I can't help but disappointed with the execution for the first 15 issues of Excalibur, due to her wanting the write about Apocalypse first than Betsy or the Excalibur team. It has been improving since #16 and feels like a new start for the team.

All we want is a better written Betsy whatever role she's having. But at least for now, give her back her wits of using telepathy and bring back the butterfly sig-exclusively to her.
    All of this, the potential of CB has not been followed up on in a meaningful way at all imo. Hwoever I imagine when the film universe starts to develop her ceiling "could" be higher but it all really depends on how she's used. I heard rumors of Psylocke appearing in Shang Chi's upcoming film but I can't verify that.

And this is just because:

The epitome of everything I wanted in a Psylocke on screen, telepathic ingenuity, telepathic butterfly, and the psychic knife. This was the Bets version but my god doesn't she look spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    There was a caucasian writer who used a asian ghost writers name and got in trouble for it.

The Captain Britain Monkier has more potential then the Psylocke one especially with movies coming up

Chester B. Cebulski the current Editor-in-Chief at Marvel!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    All of this, the potential of CB has not been followed up on in a meaningful way at all imo. Hwoever I imagine when the film universe starts to develop her ceiling "could" be higher but it all really depends on how she's used. I heard rumors of Psylocke appearing in Shang Chi's upcoming film but I can't verify that.

And this is just because:

The epitome of everything I wanted in a Psylocke on screen, telepathic ingenuity, telepathic butterfly, and the psychic knife. This was the Bets version but my god doesn't she look spectacular!

Chester B. Cebulski the current Editor-in-Chief at Marvel!
    So you want kwannon or just a nameless capcom psylocke, just say that LOL because betsy has had all 3 since her body switch, and last issue showcassed betsy's full capabilities wielded by another person witout any remorse/inner turmoil that betsy has been going trough.