Page 79 of 110 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1644

I mean I don’t mind her being Captain Britain but I also think it diminishes or stagnates story opportunities for her.

Also I just don’t really care about patriotic flag bearing super heroes.

It’s not going to entice writers to want to write her. IMO

They could have made her name Monarch (they gave that to Jamie) or Avalon (they gave that to Brian)

She hasn’t given a **** about the UK or Britain in the last 20 years. So I just find it hard to believe she just all of a sudden wants this so badly when she was doing great without the title.

And honestly I really don’t think TH was the best writer to write this new journey for Betsy. Or to reestablish her in this HoXPoX era.

But here we are two years later. Yay.

Before this run started editorial and writer said they were going to elevate her to Captain Marvel levels. And honestly I don’t even think she is close at all to being elevated in the 616 marvel universe.
    Last edited by CGAR; 06-19-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    The quality of the name doesn’t stop it from being a regression. What is she going to go back to Psylocke and do?
    Perhaps she could go back to being a mutant and a core member of the X-men first and foremost. Captain Britain might have more status in-lore, but to the average reader it’s a fringe title with loose ties to the X-men. Betsy has effectively been been sidelined, tied irrevocably to Excalibur.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yronheart View Post
    Perhaps she could go back to being a mutant and a core member of the X-men first and foremost. Captain Britain might have more status in-lore, but to the average reader it’s a fringe title with loose ties to the X-men. Betsy has effectively been been sidelined, tied irrevocably to Excalibur.
    Jean Grey is the main X-Men telepath/telekinetic.

There’s not a place for Betsy in the X-Men really. She’s tied to Otherworld and there’s a lot more story potential for her there, as she has to deal with Otherworld issues. To even access Otherworld they have to go through Betsy to communicate with Saturnyne.

It should also be noted she was Captain Britain before until Slaymaster blinded her. She onky hooked up with the X-Men because Mojo kidnapped her and gave her bionic eyes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I mean I don’t mind her being Captain Britain but I also think it diminishes or stagnates story opportunities for her.

Also I just don’t really care about patriotic flag bearing super heroes.

It’s not going to entice writers to want to write her. IMO

They could have made her name Monarch (they gave that to Jamie) or Avalon (they gave that to Brian)

She hasn’t given a **** about the UK or Britain in the last 20 years. So I just find it hard to believe she just all of a sudden wants this so badly when she was doing great without the title.

And honestly I really don’t think TH was the best writer to write this new journey for Betsy. Or to reestablish her in this HoXPoX era.

But here we are two years later. Yay.

Before this run started editorial and writer said they were going to elevate her to Captain Marvel levels. And honestly I don’t even think she is close at all to being elevated in the 616 marvel universe.
    She wasn’t herself in the past twenty years. She was in Kwannon’s body, but the politics of that was something Disney couldn’t deal with. So when she went back to bring ehite they had to tie her to her family and her heritage. There’s a lot to work with there. Ten of swords happened in big part due to her family links to Otherworld.

Ultimate Member

Technically she was in a body that was part Kwannon and part Betsy...Kwannon's full original body is LONG gone and Kwannon isn't even in her original body right now remember...people wanted her tied more closely to her family and Otherworld for years...now they're getting it and it's killing Betsy...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Technically she was in a body that was part Kwannon and part Betsy...Kwannon's full original body is LONG gone and Kwannon isn't even in her original body right now remember...people wanted her tied more closely to her family and Otherworld for years...now they're getting it and it's killing Betsy...
    It’s not killing Betsy. What happens is someone fans get mad at any changes and want books written the way we’re in the 90s. Of course these days Marvel really makes it’s money from blockbuster movies abd tv shows, so no matter how much certain fans may hate changes Marvel will not listen to them.

For anyone who doesn’t like anything that’s being written or produced, there’s nothing any of us can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Jean Grey is the main X-Men telepath/telekinetic.

There’s not a place for Betsy in the X-Men really. She’s tied to Otherworld and there’s a lot more story potential for her there, as she has to deal with Otherworld issues. To even access Otherworld they have to go through Betsy to communicate with Saturnyne.

It should also be noted she was Captain Britain before until Slaymaster blinded her. She onky hooked up with the X-Men because Mojo kidnapped her and gave her bionic eyes.
    I don’t find Otherworld compelling at all to be quite frank, and I bet I’m not alone in that. Betsy has always been a mutant and an X-man first and foremost, that’s where her fan base is derived from, that’s where she was developed as a character, that’s where she became relevant.

BANNED

I don’t find Otherworld compelling at all to be quite frank, and I bet I’m not alone in that. Betsy has always been a mutant and an X-man first and foremost, that’s where her fan base is derived from, that’s where she was developed as a character, that’s where she became relevant.
    No. She was a Captain Britain character long before she had anything to do with the X-Men.

Btw, no one is expected to like everything a company puts out. However, they are going to do what believe is best fue the characters that they own.

No amount of complaining here is going to change anything.

Betsy is no longer an Asian ninja and no longer Psylocke. That’s that.

No. She was a Captain Britain character long before she had anything to do with the X-Men.

Btw, no one is expected to like everything a company puts out. However, they are going to do what believe is best fue the characters that they own.

No amount of complaining here is going to change anything.

Betsy is no longer an Asian ninja and no longer Psylocke. That’s that.
    She was never a major character in the early Captain Britain days. Not that it would matter if she was, since Captain Britain was barely on the radar.

It’s hilarious when people like you try and silence others for voicing their discontent with the direction of their favourite character. Also once again for those in the back - fans who want Psylocke to reclaim her identity aren’t asking for ninjalocke.

BANNED

She was never a major character in the early Captain Britain days. Not that it would matter if she was, since Captain Britain was barely on the radar.

It’s hilarious when people like you try and silence others for voicing their discontent with the direction of their favourite character. Also once again for those in the back - fans who want Psylocke to reclaim her identity aren’t asking for ninjalocke.
    I’m not trying to silence you. You can voice your discontent all you want to.

However, I don’t see that voicing discontent changes anything, either. It ultimately falls into the category of who cares.

I personally like the direction that’s they’re taking. And when I don’t like the direction a book is going, I drop the book.

It ultimately falls into the category of who cares.
    Quite a sizeable group of the fan base evidently. And ultimately it’s our $$$ that determines the creative direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I feel like that's part of the story she's dealing with now though, no? She doesn't care about Britain or the UK and that's part of their issue with her in the role. For her CB is all about Avalon and Otherworld and she's always been about those.

Tbf, there weren't any X-Men for her to be apart of for the first two years of the era haha. But seriously, I don't currently see anything that has moved her away from her main mutant status in this new era? If anything it's been solidified that that's where her loyalty lies. She's been dealing with all the anti-mutant hysteria in Excalibur and has had to constantly reaffirm that she is a proud one. It's why she sports the flowers in her hair with the suit. The whole premise of the book was started around mutant magic.

Being tied to Excalibur is also something I don't really see as the worst thing. At least with Excalibur it would always be *her* book to an extent, and in this current era it's a main title that not only helped push the line forward but added a ton(Arrako<3) to the mythos. Other titles have actively been going to Otherworld and engraining their stories in it. They've expanded Excalibur's brand beyond just being the UK team and I think that makes it way more digestible to future writers.

Quite a sizeable group of the fan base evidently. And ultimately it’s our $$$ that determines the creative direction.
    But they're all still buying the book so that would make Marvel think it's a success.
    Last edited by Psycwave; 06-19-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Our dollars never determine the creative direction. Writers will write what they want to write for however long they want to write it until another writer comes along and does his/her thing which might entail carrying the previous developments forward or ignoring it.
    If you think Tini is sitting at home thinking "OMG some readers hate Betsy as CB, and the books aren't selling as high, I really should change that plot that is the lynch-pin of my entire run." ...I want to try the drugs you're taking, they sound like fun.

Our dollars only determine how long a book stay on the publishing line. (and even then, it's not the only determining factor)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I also think this is the energy Betsy is going to have post Gala.

I think Betsy has had a lot of great moments in the last few arcs. I think most people are just too hellbent on hating Howard and Excalibur, and for some Betsy being Captain Britain.