Page 85 of 110 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1644

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I absolutely hate her as Captain Britain. lol I want Betsy from the Outback days back...
    I kinda agree, but not because Betsy is Captain Britain. More like Tini isn’t capitalizing on her abilities as Captain Britain. The fact that Malice fighting Rogue after around 18 issues of Excalibur is the first physical scuffle Betsy has had is a problem. I know it’s unnecessary for Betsy to do physical work because of her tk, but I do personally think Betsy having a leg up in her physical strength should have made some things easier for her telekinesis.

Another thing that needs to be clarified is since the Amulet was destroyed what does the Starlight Sword bring into the equation?

Does Betsy just have TP/TK? Does the suit give her new abilities?

This is my issue w TH writing style. I know she likes long form BUT some things need to just be put on panel already.

I get that fully becoming Captain Britain was suppose to be this gradual character piece.

I find it lacking though. There was no oomph to anything. And everything that people do like about this run didnt actually happen to our Betsy.
    Last edited by CGAR; 07-27-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As much as I've enjoyed many bits and pieces of Excalibur and I do like the mantle of CB for her...I can agree with the sentiment that with regards to Betsy herself...it's all been CB-posturing and no actual CB-doing. It's about fockin' time she claims the title and the powers and go break some ****.

While I do like and appreciate a good long-form plot and storytelling...Unfortunately Tini, Vita and Percy are not anywhere close to Claremont's mastery.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Marvel just needs a writer who in fully vested in expanding on the Otherworld aspects, and how magic can affect the new mutant status quo. For this to happen, I feel we need a writer who has a deep fondness of the Captain Britain mythos.

Mighty Member

Ill defined powers as CB are an issue. It’s just Betsy in a CB costume at this point. Let’s actually see her use her powers creatively. I’m all for expanding Otherworld, but so much time to get here after XoS. There doesn’t seem a good balance between the UK and Otherworld problems.

A writer who is better suited to handle both at the same time could. You could work one, while using relevant subplots to advance the other. Tini’s using subplots, they’re just not very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Ill defined powers as CB are an issue. It’s just Betsy in a CB costume at this point. Let’s actually see her use her powers creatively. I’m all for expanding Otherworld, but so much time to get here after XoS. There doesn’t seem a good balance between the UK and Otherworld problems.
    His powers aren't ill defined! They're your classic superman brick abilities, including flight and force field. The problem is successive writers feel the need to keep redefining their abilties. Betsy should have super strength, durability, speed but hasn't displayed a single iota of those abilities.

Why? Only Tini knows, go ask her!

She doesn't need super strength, let alone flight and force fields (which are utterly redundant anyway). She's already plenty strong with tp + tk + martial arts. All the more reason to give the CB mantle to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Another thing that needs to be clarified is since the Amulet was destroyed what does the Starlight Sword bring into the equation?

Does Betsy just have TP/TK? Does the suit give her new abilities?

This is my issue w TH writing style. I know she likes long form BUT some things need to just be put on panel already.

I get that fully becoming Captain Britain was suppose to be this gradual character piece.

I find it lacking though. There was no oomph to anything. And everything that people do like about this run didnt actually happen to our Betsy.
    I believe the Starlight Sword does what the Amulet does with an added bonus of being a sword. Beyond that, nothing is outright stated about its abilities. It looks like a shining sword and is said to be made of the walls of the Starlight Citadel, yet we know so little to nothing about it’s capabilities or durability (beyond Saturnyne can break it via magic, which I would say is pretty obvious since she did create it to begin with)

Malice did use Betsy’s body to wrestle with Rogue with no psi-signature except on Rictor who was one-shot psychically. They usually distinguish power signatures to physical feats in this book, so from what I can tell, Malice in Betsy’s body (and this Betsy) scales Tk Rogue with Wonder Man powers. (She still has Wonder Man’s powers right?)

I agree on the ‘oomph’. I felt confused and a dissonance between Betsy’s motivation on the way to X of Swords. Betsy acted like in the beginning that the Captain Britain powers were Brian’s and that she was only fulfilling his shoes. We get no moment of clarity on her feelings about the prospect of staying Captain Britain permanently until Brian visits Otherworld with the Sword of Might to give to Betsy, in which Betsy just snaps out of nowhere at him and ready to duel for the right of the moniker. I give a lot of breathing room to writers coming into a story and changing a characters motivations, even forced ones, if they can provide a plausible reason.

Tini does not.

Edit: I will say though that the issues with Malice are the best for unseen X-lore, Betsy’s interactions to Kwannon, and the psionic version of the Starlight Sword.
    Last edited by PyroFN; 08-01-2021 at 06:12 AM.

I wanna see Betsy go toe to toe with Juggernaut. She’d definitely cement herself in as a real powerhouse with the CB upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    She doesn't need super strength, let alone flight and force fields (which are utterly redundant anyway). She's already plenty strong with tp + tk + martial arts. All the more reason to give the CB mantle to someone else.
    It's not a matter of whether she needs it or not she should have it, and hasn't displayed any of the abilities which she should have. This is also weird because she at least displayed flight during the Remender X-Force run, she seem to need it then!

I have a feeling we’ll get the Black Knight involved in this book sometime in the near future. In his current mini it’s been revealed he’s a descendant of King Arthur, and I can see that to be someone Morgan and Clan Akkaba would like to manipulate for their own ends.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    It's not a matter of whether she needs it or not she should have it, and hasn't displayed any of the abilities which she should have. This is also weird because she at least displayed flight during the Remender X-Force run, she seem to need it then!
    The true problem is Tini is not interested in writing actual combat scenes. So we don’t really get to see Betsy do any physical combat.

Obviously Captain Britain’s can travel to Otherworld and across dimensions. Betsy was already a very skilled physical fighter and her powers already enabled her to fly and she used telekinesis to enhance strength and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Marvel just needs a writer who in fully vested in expanding on the Otherworld aspects, and how magic can affect the new mutant status quo. For this to happen, I feel we need a writer who has a deep fondness of the Captain Britain mythos.
    Tini just brought back some very deep-cut character from the Alan Moore days of Captain Britain. I think is safe to assume that she has a deep fondness for the Captain Britain mythos.

Anyway, I think Excalibur has been great since the XoS prelude issues, and this is coming from somebody who really didn’t care for the first ten or so issues of the series. I think it’s very much found it’s groove, people just want the book to be something it’s not.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 08-03-2021 at 11:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Tini just brought back some very deep-cut character from the Alan Moore days of Captain Britain. I think is safe to assume that she has a deep fondness for the Captain Britain mythos.

Anyway, I think Excalibur has been great since the XoS prelude issues, and this is coming from somebody who really didn’t care for the first ten or so issues of the series. I think it’s very much found it’s groove, people just want the book to be something it’s not.
    There are people who are upset Elizabeth went back to her British/Otherworld self.

I do like Excalibur, btw. I’m happy we are finally seeing follow as to how Saturnyne took over as omniversal guardian. Obviously, Merlín wasn’t going to be happy about that.