Page 34 of 110 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So do we think Tini Howards approach to writing Betsy is: Showing rather than telling or telling rather than showing?

And which one would you prefer?

Honestly, I think its more showing rather than telling because we the reader are left to interpret what Betsy is really going through on panel.

I think some of the insight and reflection should be actually coming from Betsy herself. Inner dialogue or her saying things out right.

For example:

We're shown that Betsy always wanted to be Captain Britain and that she felt she deserved it.

We're shown that an alternate Warren fell in love with a caucasian Betsy so there is a possiblity that 616 Warren could actually love her as well.

We're shown that she feels guilty about Kwannon because of how much she wanted to avoid her.

We're shown that she is insecure with her new role because of outside sources or opinions; Clan Akkaba, Saturnyne, and humans.

What do you all think? I think Tini Howard is relying too much on us interpreting panels but some things are not being written in the actual issues.

Yes I understand that writers are trusting the reader BUT I just don't think she's doing a good job of getting into the nitty gritty of the character.

And I know she is playing the long game and making it seem like it should be deserved but I really think its been dragging.

Some fans are saying that whats happening to Betsy now is so obvious because of issue blah panel this where it shows it.

But we shouldnt have to dig up issues that came out more than 15 yrs ago to understand what Betsy is going through. IMO.
    What is the difference between showing and telling? I think they are just the same thing(panel and dialogues which make the comic).

A simple thought is if the writer don't give 'enough' information, there is no way for the readers to know what he or she is writing.

To me, Betsy looks really confident in the first 15 issues of Excalibur and she never show any sign of weak. My thought for her to fail so hard is because she is actually overconfident, lol. However, most of you here say she has confident issue and she is not herself. I wouldn't deny the possibility but there is not enough 'showing or telling' to which direction Betsy's story is heading to.
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-06-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Showing is having the artist interpretation of the script on panels.

Telling is having a character out right say something.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Showing is having the artist interpretation of the script on panels.

Telling is having a character out right say something.
    As a reader, I would give the decision back to the writer as long as he or she can write a good story. Much like we don't mind what role is given to Betsy as long as it is good for her development.

Attachment 106975

I really like this drawing of them together
    Last edited by CGAR; 03-07-2021 at 12:27 AM.

I think Tini is mainly a plotter than a story teller. She has some big ideas and some of them are interesting.
    But the way she tells the story is a different thing, not to mention the dialogues.

One excample: I like the that Rictor is connecting really well with [A] and the direction he's heading, but the the story doesn't support that plot enough for us to really care about their relationship.
    The same with Betsy wanting to become CB so much, that she rejected Brian wanting to have the amulet back. She's already a prominent member of the X-Men - as Psylocke. What motivates her to wanting to become CB? The story doesn't really support that plot IMO and looked only as to serve Marvel wanting to give Kwannon the Psylocke brand and give Betsy a new direction/role as CB.

Her execution is lacking but when she's focusing on a certain character, it seems promising like [A] in the first 15 issues and Betsy in #16-#18. I do think she'll be great in a solo book with several supporting characters rather than an assemble book.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I think Tini would benefit from having a co-writer on this book. Maybe Zub, or Duggan now that Bable is ending. It’d be a dream to get Alan Davis on art and plotting/scripts.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    One excample: I like the that Rictor is connecting really well with [A] and the direction he's heading, but the the story doesn't support that plot enough for us to really care about their relationship.
    The same with Betsy wanting to become CB so much, that she rejected Brian wanting to have the amulet back. She's already a prominent member of the X-Men - as Psylocke. What motivates her to wanting to become CB? The story doesn't really support that plot IMO and looked only as to serve Marvel wanting to give Kwannon the Psylocke brand and give Betsy a new direction/role as CB.
    Isn't Betsy refusing to give the amulet back to Brian just an act by them to trick Saturnyne to reveal the Starlight Sword so Betsy can get it to become one of the sword bearer in order to join the X Of Swords tournament? The moment Brian told Betsy to grab the sword from the floor has already confirmed that he has no intention to become Captain Brian again but want Betsy to continue the CB role. I found quite a lot of people don't think this way and I am actually doubting myself now. Can anyone confirm this?

And from what I know, Betsy want to become CB since the very beginning but she just isn't the chosen one. So, the motivation for her to become CB is definitely there.

Her execution is lacking but when she's focusing on a certain character, it seems promising like [A] in the first 15 issues and Betsy in #16-#18. I do think she'll be great in a solo book with several supporting characters rather than an assemble book.
    I agree when certain characters are being focused by her, they can become interesting. But it also mean she isn't good enough right now that other characters(not being focused) have become 'background or tools' in Excalibur.(Just look at Betsy in the first 15 issue and her horrible duel in the tournament...)
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-07-2021 at 07:53 PM.

BANNED

I think Tini is mainly a plotter than a story teller. She has some big ideas and some of them are interesting.
    But the way she tells the story is a different thing, not to mention the dialogues.

her whole story supports it?
    the whole motivation that STARTED ALL THIS, was her wanting to be captain brittain and failing, slaymaster brutally ripping off her eyes.

She has a whole halucination when she first gets into kwannons body about how that was her dream that she failed at, see I can understand criticism where it should have been reinterated for new readers alike of that very important factor in her characters history, but again it's a matter of preference.
    Do you want to be told everysingle thing or be shown?

I can get it, but it's not necessarly bad to trust your readers to know about betsy's history with the title and the feelings of being unworthy, too dark, too violent, too willing to be in the fray that drove her into a life of adventure, but to say the story doesnt support it I simply think its wrong.

it makes complete sense that once betsy would get the title she would at least be unwilling to return it witout hesitation, and given an oportunity: truly claim it like when she took the starlight sword.
    issue 13 was a deception but tapped into very clear feelings of betsy about her brother and the title.
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-07-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    her whole story supports it?
    the whole motivation that STARTED ALL THIS, was her wanting to be captain brittain and failing, slaymaster brutally ripping off her eyes.

She has a whole halucination when she first gets into kwannons body about how that was her dream that she failed at, see I can understand criticism where it should have been reinterated for new readers alike of that very important factor in her characters history, but again it's a matter of preference.
    Do you want to be told everysingle thing or be shown?

I can get it, but it's not necessarly bad to trust your readers to know about betsy's history with the title and the feelings of being unworthy, too dark, too violent, too willing to be in the fray that drove her into a life of adventure, but to say the story doesnt support it I simply think its wrong.

it makes complete sense that once betsy would get the title she would at least be unwilling to return it witout hesitation, and given an oportunity: truly claim it like when she took the starlight sword.
    issue 13 was a deception but tapped into very clear feelings of betsy about her brother and the title.
    I absolutely agree with everything stated here. While I feel some of these things should be referenced/shown in a flashback, like her blinding, and her hallucinations during the Hand’s brainwashing process, but it makes sense that she’s unwilling to give up the role of CB quite so soon.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I absolutely agree with everything stated here. While I feel some of these things should be referenced/shown in a flashback, like her blinding, and her hallucinations during the Hand’s brainwashing process, but it makes sense that she’s unwilling to give up the role of CB quite so soon.
    next issue she's probably in kwannons headspace, so maybe we will get that

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    next issue she's probably in kwannons headspace, so maybe we will get that
    Maybe. I hope with this story, and Kwannon having to deal with Mastermind’s Betsy illusion, we’ll finally get that moment (preferably in a Giant Size dedicated to the two) some time this year.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Incredible Member

What is the biggest slap on our faces, regarding betsy’s publication story?

1-Being dropped out of The Twelve by Alan Daves, after being hinted as one by Claremont
    2-Being the only x-men character left out of Age of Apocalypse with absolutely no reason for that
    3-Vanishing from the X-line in the glory days of her hater Joe Madureira and appearing briefly only to be gutted by Sabretooth
    4-being heavily marketed as a pivotal character of x of swords to end up with the cringiest role in the crossover
    5-being killed by z lister villain vargas and then inaugurating the dead stay dead policy created by her other hater, joe quesada
    6-being downgraded to a 3rd class telepath by editorial when jean rejoined the x-men in the 90’s with her telepathic powers back
    7-losing her quintessencial power signature to kwannon thanks to marvel attempt to get rid of the cultural appropriation issue of asian Psylocke without stopping to milk it
    8-being defeated by medusa after using worst punchline ever in AvI, when marvel was still trying to make the inhumans happen.
    Last edited by crimsontt; 03-09-2021 at 07:09 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    What is the biggest slap on our faces, regarding betsy’s publication story?

1-Being dropped out of The Twelve by Alan Daves, after being hinted as one by Claremont
    2-Being the only x-men character left out of Age of Apocalypse with absolutely no reason for that
    3-Vanishing from the X-line in the glory days of her hater Joe Madureira and appearing briefly only to be gutted by Sabretooth
    4-being heavily marketed as a pivotal character of x of swords to end up with the cringiest role in the crossover
    5-being killed by z lister villain vargas and then inaugurating the dead stay dead policy created by her other hater, joe quesada
    6-being downgraded to a 3rd class telepath by editorial when jean rejoined the x-men in the 90’s with her telepathic powers back
    7-losing her quintessencial power signature to kwannon thanks to marvel attempt to get rid of the cultural appropriation issue of asian Psylocke without stopping to milk it
    8-being defeated by medusa after using worst punchline ever in AvI, when marvel was still trying to make the inhumans happen.
    number 7 isnt reallly an issue since she just had a butterfly signature when talking to rachel, it was stated it's a story that you are meant to be weirded by its absence.
    number 4 was disapointing but it gave us crisis in infinite betsys, so give or take a neutral.

the rest.... well, being used for your capcom aproved looks and not the character's content it causes issues like these. The sisterhood arc where shes trown betwen bodies, mutilated AND mindwashed is another ofense too
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-09-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    Anime/Manga loving Joe Mad hated Psylocke? Where is the proof of that?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Anime/Manga loving Joe Mad hated Psylocke? Where is the proof of that?
    He has expressed his contempt to psylocke in past interviews. Not sure if a google search will help, but old times die hard fans can confirm it.