Page 49 of 110 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The book was confusing. I see what Tini is doing but the execution leaves alot to be desired
    Its 'a hero's journey' but she shouldn't write it for an over 40 years old well developed character like Betsy! She sacrificed her!! And now, there is only damage and a broken character...
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-24-2021 at 08:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    She was also just a mere soul in Hunt of Wolverine: Madripoor. But she's strong enough to bounce back from defeat, beat Styx at her own game and create her own body.

In Excalibur, she literally made her team, family, the Quiet council, and the entire Captain Britain corps looking for her. Yep, she didn't know the corps exists but she still has responsibilities for her team, family, Krakoa and Great Britain. She was determined, cool, calm and collected in issue #17 but in #19 she was a total mess. It's very jarring. .
    Being in the astral plane isnt the same as being a non corporal presence on otherworld after severe trauma/malice manipulation, betsy's presence in this issue involves the magic of the sword, she was burning a town down, changing forms creating ilusions to keep anyone away.

It wasnt the same and these circumstances are way more dire and pile up way more than her presence in the styx "mental plane".
    She was a banshee pretty muc
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-24-2021 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psigal View Post
    Its 'a hero's journey' but she shouldn't write it for an over 40 years old well developed character like Betsy! She sacrificed her!! And now, there is only damage and a broken character...
    Excalibur is making “Betsy Braddock” a character again, rather than just a background cameo in a fight. Half of those 40 years you’re talking about, she was nothing more but the “stoic ninja” trope. This run is bringing back elements of Betsy’s characterisation that have been disregarded in favour of having her be nothing more than the archetype of the cold warrior woman.

Hero’s journeys appear all the time, and characters can go on them more than once.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I count the captain brittains as versions of betsy that arent going trough years of trauma and turmoil, and they had more than fire! (I understand your pov just showing a difrent prespective)
    I get that, but 616 Betsy. We could just replace her, but that’s not we are looking for. Hopefully she comes out better at the end of this arc. Right now, for me, she’s not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    I get that, but 616 Betsy. We could just replace her, but that’s not we are looking for. Hopefully she comes out better at the end of this arc. Right now, for me, she’s not.
    no my point is that it's not that howard can't write a betsy to your taste, shes going trough a journey that the other betsy's have not been going trough! so im trying to maybe comfort your doubts, all these other betsy's are in a place that 616 is about to reach, and they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    Excalibur is making “Betsy Braddock” a character again, rather than just a background cameo in a fight. Half of those 40 years you’re talking about, she was nothing more but the “stoic ninja” trope. This run is bringing back elements of Betsy’s characterisation that have been disregarded in favour of having her be nothing more than the archetype of the cold warrior woman.

Hero’s journeys appear all the time, and characters can go on them more than once.
    Being 80s Betsy Braddock again is such a big regression and there is better way to write this instead of 'reset'. Tini is just clearly not good enough to do it and issue #19 has made my final confirmation to this. My hope for her being a good writer is lost even Betsy is 'restored' in future issues.

It’s not a reset! The elements of 80s Betsy were abandoned in favour of making her just a ninja.
    It’s not a bad thing that Tini is addressing things such as Betsy’s family, her desire to be a more noble hero.

This isn’t a regression, it’s building in what’s come before

BANNED

Being 80s Betsy Braddock again is such a big regression and there is better way to write this instead of 'reset'. Tini is just clearly not good enough to do it and issue #19 has made my final confirmation to this. My hope for her being a good writer is lost even Betsy is 'restored' in future issues.
    80's betsy was one of the best claremont characters that was ruined because of the body swap

I haven't read it yet but the discourse of the thread has me intrigued.

Bye, Psigal. We'll miss you.

TBH, 80s Betsy is more interesting than current Betsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    I haven't read it yet but the discourse of the thread has me intrigued.

Bye, Psigal. We'll miss you.
    Even not as 'new' Betsy's fans, I may still reply here. You don't need to miss me.

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    It’s not a reset! The elements of 80s Betsy were abandoned in favour of making her just a ninja.
    It’s not a bad thing that Tini is addressing things such as Betsy’s family, her desire to be a more noble hero.

This isn’t a regression, it’s building in what’s come before
    Pray tell what does the present Betsy have in common with the 80's Psylocke sans the look?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    80's betsy was one of the best claremont characters that was ruined because of the body swap
    Exactatiously.
    It can be argued that when Psyolcke went through the Siege Perilous she emerged as an entirely new character having bonded with Kwannon's mind and body.
    And while I won't say "ruined", she was, for all intents and purposes, no longer the Betsy we knew up to and during the Outback era.

I see the Betsy we have now in Excalibur as the re-continuance of who she could be, had she not been forced through the Siege Perilous. And that's a huge plus for me.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Wanting to be Captain Britain; wanting to be a noble hero.

Also, it’s Betsy seeking out a way to be strong and asserting her own position.

I can see some of Betsy's fans miss 80s Betsy. However, is it truly good for her to restart from the past?

Even many 80s fans don't like her in the Asian body, it is still part of her past and it should have changed her. Are you all just ok for this 80s 'reset' Betsy in Excalibur?

She shouldn't be just 80s Betsy or Asian Betsy but something more!