Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Psy-lock;5340155]
    Are you kidding me? Being Psylocke is 99% of Betsy's comic book history. Take that away and what's left?

Betsy was in comics long before she the Mandarin. She was a regular on X-men and in Captain Britain's supporting cast, she originally was plain vanilla human.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Betsy was in comics long before she the Mandarin. She was a regular on X-men and in Captain Britain's supporting cast, she originally was plain vanilla human.

I'm well aware, but how does it contradict what I said? She only made a handful of appearances in the Captain Britain comics and she was already Psylocke pre-body swap.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    How is it validating it if it's a different version of the character? Like it or not, being an Asian ninja is a huge part of Betsy's character. By making her biracial they can keep both her British and Japanese roots without it being problematic.

Are you kidding me? Being Psylocke is 99% of Betsy's comic book history. Take that away and what's left?

Kinda agree with this though, lol
    70's captain america and 80's x-men, wich unlike said story of betsy in kwannon's body, OG psylocke was an actually great character that went from defeating sabertooth in a dress and climbing the x-men ranks to team leadership, to getting praticaly no story and just being drawn ass front- face back, as she gets brutaly eviscarated and defeated, her powers constantly in confusing flux, and her story arc's scarce.
    Her major victory was agaist the shadow king, a telepathy feat where she was written like her original incarnation.

and she also had a several year hiatus as she was dead, betsy in kwannon's body only started to get decent in 2010's (after sword of the braddocks mini), the 90's and 00's id gladly erase for original 80's psylocke

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    If they introduce Psylocke in the MCU id rather her be Kwannon now.

Id rather have Betsy be in a film with Captain Britain and other British characters.

They just need to make her a british telepath/telekinetic h2h combatant like Black Widow is for the Avengers.

Plus she'll get more development that way. She won't be put aside like she would be if Jean and Emma are around.
    I agree on al you said. I think it would be the wiser choice for both characters.
    A picture would last longer darling...

BANNED

The braddocks were already named droped, and there's been rumours of it nonstop PLUS, they are basicaly fantasy skywalker twins with one being an x-men it's very profitable concept, kwannon will probably be a silent ninja type on shang chi, while betsy can be on strike

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    70's captain america and 80's x-men, wich unlike said story of betsy in kwannon's body, OG psylocke was an actually great character that went from defeating sabertooth in a dress and climbing the x-men ranks to team leadership, to getting praticaly no story and just being drawn ass front- face back, as she gets brutaly eviscarated and defeated, her powers constantly in confusing flux, and her story arc's scarce.
    Her major victory was agaist the shadow king, a telepathy feat where she was written like her original incarnation.

and she also had a several year hiatus as she was dead, betsy in kwannon's body only started to get decent in 2010's (after sword of the braddocks mini), the 90's and 00's id gladly erase for original 80's psylocke
    80's Betsy was still Psylocke, but you said they should just make Kwannon Psylocke from the start. So how is that gonna work? Give her a different codename? And at any rate, I doubt white Psylocke is profitable for the MCU when they can use much more popular Jean Grey and Emma Frost as the primary female psychics.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I find it very unlikely they'll bring Kwannon into the movies. Betsy has a rich history in the comics starting with her association with STRIKE and Captain Britain, while Kwannon is mostly an unknown entity with hardly any backstory outside of her involvement with Betsy.

On the other hand, the Asian body is what Psylocke is known for from videogames and cartoons, not to mention decades of comics history. It's a no-brainer to pick the best of both worlds and make Betsy a Caucasian/Asian mix, doing away with confusing body-swap nonsense entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    80's Betsy was still Psylocke, but you said they should just make Kwannon Psylocke from the start. So how is that gonna work? Give her a different codename? And at any rate, I doubt white Psylocke is profitable for the MCU when they can use much more popular Jean Grey and Emma Frost as the primary female psychics.
    the codename is not a problem. I mean, the Sacrlet Witch has been around for a long time and they call her Wanda only (correct me if I'm wrong). They'll definitely keep Psylocke for Kwannon since she has the iconic ninja body associated to the name. Betsy will be Captain Britain or only Betsy Braddock or something.

It's not a coincidence they change them back at the moment of the merger. Disney wanted two profitable characters without any racial appropriation issue.
    A picture would last longer darling...

They really werent named dropped though. Youtubers said it was in the movie. But you can't even hear them say Braddock.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    On the other hand, the Asian body is what Psylocke is known for from videogames and cartoons, not to mention decades of comics history. It's a no-brainer to pick the best of both worlds and make Betsy a Caucasian/Asian mix, doing away with confusing body-swap nonsense entirely.
    Honestly I feel like this is what they should have done in comics in the first place. Have Betsy swap back to her old body and in the same issue have a flashback retconning one of her parents as having been Asian.

Ultimate Member

That probably would have been easier than everything that ended up happening but now they really couldn't even use the name Psylocke cause that's Kwannon's now as well...

BANNED

We won’t see Betsy as biracial. The revamped X-Men comics are guide prints for the movie. Betsy is the twin if Brian, who is not biracial. He is white and so is she.

Kwannon on the other hand is Japanese. The stories you can tell with the two women see different. Just as their are good stories you can tell with Kwannon/Psylocke due to her Japanese heritage and the Hand there are good stories being told about Betsy’s relationship with her family and her British/Otherworldly background.

BANNED

For me betsy is like dick grayson or emma frost, codenames that are used for branding purposes, but in the story they just get called their name

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    We won’t see Betsy as biracial. The revamped X-Men comics are guide prints for the movie. Betsy is the twin if Brian, who is not biracial. He is white and so is she.

Kwannon on the other hand is Japanese. The stories you can tell with the two women see different. Just as their are good stories you can tell with Kwannon/Psylocke due to her Japanese heritage and the Hand there are good stories being told about Betsy’s relationship with her family and her British/Otherworldly background.
    Betsy was biracial in Apocalypse and the MCU's very progressive with its casting. If Betsy is biracial in the MCU Brian will be, as well. It's the logical casting decision. Jasper Sitwell was white in the comics and they hired a Latino actor for the movies.

They can make Kwannon a seperate character who is Japanese who works for the Ten Rings, Betsy being biracial doesn't stop that from being an option.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Betsy was biracial in Apocalypse and the MCU's very progressive with its casting. If Betsy is biracial in the MCU Brian will be, as well. It's the logical casting decision. Jasper Sitwell was white in the comics and they hired a Latino actor for the movies.

They can make Kwannon a seperate character who is Japanese who works for the Ten Rings, Betsy being biracial doesn't stop that from being an option.
    That just reinforces asian betsy, wich was born from a gross orientalist story, by altering brian as well at the cost of kwannon you aren't being progressive you're just cementing that harmfull change as the definite incarnation of Betsy Braddock, the one that deserves to be shown to the world trough the mcu, at the cost of kwannon.
    It's not logical in the slightest, you can't retcon jaime and brian AND as british aristrocrats, bi-racial british indian would be far more representative of brittain
    Last edited by Ferro; 01-23-2021 at 04:13 AM.