Page 35 of 110 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    number 7 isnt reallly an issue since she just had a butterfly signature when talking to rachel, it was stated it's a story that you are meant to be weirded by its absence.
    number 4 was disapointing but it gave us crisis in infinite betsys, so give or take a neutral.

the rest.... well, being used for your capcom aproved looks and not the character's content it causes issues like these. The sisterhood arc where shes trown betwen bodies, mutilated AND mindwashed is another ofense too

Yes her fully powered psy dagger doing almost nothing to ali and her laser bean melting dow her face was also a huge let down.

It’s definitely the Sisterhood arc or CC having her fall for AoA Creed.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    What is the biggest slap on our faces, regarding betsy’s publication story?

1-Being dropped out of The Twelve by Alan Daves, after being hinted as one by Claremont
    2-Being the only x-men character left out of Age of Apocalypse with absolutely no reason for that
    3-Vanishing from the X-line in the glory days of her hater Joe Madureira and appearing briefly only to be gutted by Sabretooth
    4-being heavily marketed as a pivotal character of x of swords to end up with the cringiest role in the crossover
    5-being killed by z lister villain vargas and then inaugurating the dead stay dead policy created by her other hater, joe quesada
    6-being downgraded to a 3rd class telepath by editorial when jean rejoined the x-men in the 90’s with her telepathic powers back
    7-losing her quintessencial power signature to kwannon thanks to marvel attempt to get rid of the cultural appropriation issue of asian Psylocke without stopping to milk it
    8-being defeated by medusa after using worst punchline ever in AvI, when marvel was still trying to make the inhumans happen.
    1- The Twelve storyline was such a disappointment, the less said about it the better. I think a lot of characters were originally hinted at as being part of the fabled Twelve but I always took them as possibilities to be honest, because their total number would have probably be over 12 mutants if we consider all the hints. The one glaring omission I found to be Franklin Richards who had been pretty consistently indicated as a member.
    2- I always wondered why Betts was missing from the original AoA when pretty much everyone else was in it. I know she appeared in the sequel series penned by Cebulski but that doesn't really make up for it. I think Lobdell just really disliked her.
    3- Never heard of Joe Mad hating Betsy, who actually seems right up his alley, but as mentioned above I think it was Lobdell who didn't like her.
    4- I didn't mind that part.
    5- That was the apotheosis of hypocrisy for Quesada who then proceeded to resurrect everyone and their mother.
    6- Again, I felt this was mostly down to Lobdell not liking Betsy.
    7- I think Marvel genuinely thought they were elevating Betsy when they turned her into Captain Marvel. Little did they know the execution would leave so much to be desired.
    8- The whole of IvX was a clusterfuck frankly. A lesson in how NOT to make a franchise happen courtesy of Marvel Comics and Marvel Television.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    5- That was the apotheosis of hypocrisy for Quesada who then proceeded to resurrect everyone and their mother.
    I always felt like this was done intentionally to hurt or jab at Claremont. Almost as if Joe decided to add himself to the decades old issue that had been between Chris and editorial on the resurrection of Jean Grey. And there they were decades later and Chris had a whole story about Betsy dying but then being captured by Bogan as the mysterious telepath, only for them to say "You know what, dead is dead. Too bad." Then immediately bringing back Colossus. At least Chris was later allowed to bring Betsy back but still it forced him to completely change his plans and then make Rachel the enslaved telepath.

Mighty Member

Wasn’t Betsy one of the telepath brains in AoA? Not that that excuses her from actually being involved

1-Being dropped out of The Twelve by Alan Daves, after being hinted as one by Claremont
    2-Being the only x-men character left out of Age of Apocalypse with absolutely no reason for that
    3-Vanishing from the X-line in the glory days of her hater Joe Madureira and appearing briefly only to be gutted by Sabretooth
    4-being heavily marketed as a pivotal character of x of swords to end up with the cringiest role in the crossover
    5-being killed by z lister villain vargas and then inaugurating the dead stay dead policy created by her other hater, joe quesada
    6-being downgraded to a 3rd class telepath by editorial when jean rejoined the x-men in the 90’s with her telepathic powers back
    7-losing her quintessencial power signature to kwannon thanks to marvel attempt to get rid of the cultural appropriation issue of asian Psylocke without stopping to milk it
    8-being defeated by medusa after using worst punchline ever in AvI, when marvel was still trying to make the inhumans happen.
    number 2 always bugged me since I really liked AOA at the time it was coming out when i was a kid. Number 6 is a bummer, specially since she was so important in the 80's as the team's telepath. Number 7 bugs me but I'm still holding my breath for it to change. Number 4 is probably what drives me the most mad! She deserved at least to have gotten a big bad ass battle out of it.

I also hated:
    - how she was never properly featured in any of the cartoons.
    - how her role and fighting scenes in XM:A were so so teased but did not deliver.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    her whole story supports it?
    the whole motivation that STARTED ALL THIS, was her wanting to be captain brittain and failing, slaymaster brutally ripping off her eyes.

She has a whole halucination when she first gets into kwannons body about how that was her dream that she failed at, see I can understand criticism where it should have been reinterated for new readers alike of that very important factor in her characters history, but again it's a matter of preference.
    Do you want to be told everysingle thing or be shown?

I can get it, but it's not necessarly bad to trust your readers to know about betsy's history with the title and the feelings of being unworthy, too dark, too violent, too willing to be in the fray that drove her into a life of adventure, but to say the story doesnt support it I simply think its wrong.

it makes complete sense that once betsy would get the title she would at least be unwilling to return it witout hesitation, and given an oportunity: truly claim it like when she took the starlight sword.
    issue 13 was a deception but tapped into very clear feelings of betsy about her brother and the title.
    This is where I think of Stan Lee's "every issue is someone's first." If Howard was really inspired to use Slaymaster and that hallucination as the foundation for many of the things she's is writing Betsy to do, it's writing malpractice not to even mention those names/topics over the dozen+ issues Betsy has been in. (Let's not mention what a cipher Captain Avalon has become.)

The Twelve were all kidnapped and mostly barely did anything the entire crossover, which is what would have happened with Betsy. I think she was best used in the Wolverine tie-in as that was a good followup to Psi-War. I like how she was utilized in this story

I think I will say 5. I HATED how she was killed like 2-3 issues after she debuted that X-treme costume! The book wasnt great but Betsy was my favorite character so killing her so early on killed my excitement for future issues

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    number 2 always bugged me since I really liked AOA at the time it was coming out when i was a kid. Number 6 is a bummer, specially since she was so important in the 80's as the team's telepath. Number 7 bugs me but I'm still holding my breath for it to change. Number 4 is probably what drives me the most mad! She deserved at least to have gotten a big bad ass battle out of it.

I also hated:
    - how she was never properly featured in any of the cartoons.
    - how her role and fighting scenes in XM:A were so so teased but did not deliver.
    Yea, 4 is the worst! If I am some kind of young reader, my reaction after reading Excalibur would be:

After issue 1-15
    "This purple hair auntie may look beautiful but she is damn useless and got shattered into pieces! HAHAHAHAHA! She is so hilarious and incompetent! I will never like this character!"

After issue 16-18
    "Oh my god, she is evil now! Someone need to put this useless witch down!"

After issue 19-20
    "This black hair Ninja is so cool and she has defeated this useless purple hair evil Knight! I love her!"

Kwannon's fans +1, Betsy's fans -1

Hickman and Tini : "Character assassination is completed. You all Betsy's fans think she is going to become something big? No way! She will be more useless than before and Kwannon will be the new heroine! However, you all Betsy's fans would still remain in the dream of that but that isn't our plan, haha."

Incredible Member

I had to update the endless parade of disappointments:

———

9- X-Men the last stand
    10- being one of the few main x-men left out o X-Men Evolution
    11- being left out of the TAS main roster in favor of jean, even when she was one of the most popular x-women by the time the series first aires.
    12- being humiliated by emma frost in her single appearance in Wolverine and the X-men AS
    13- having only 2 lines and less than 5min screen time in X-Men Apocalipse even being heavily marketed in promotional material
    14- being dragged by the, then unpopular, Claremont to his d-list Exiles, briefly after her ressurection (almost 5 years dead and away of the x-franchises). As if serving his poor fanfics in the book wasn’t enough, he had her fall in love for (alt) sabretooth and becoming the punchbag for an alt slaymaster.
    15- being the only major x-men left out of X-Men legends 2 after her almost imperceptible appereance in the last level of the first game
    16- giving dazzler a mere headache with a fully powered strike of her psychic dagger and then getting her face melted by ali during fraction’s Sisterhood
    17-being sidelined to the cringe-y Humphries Uncanny x-force after her absolute success in an A list x-force team.
    18- being forever ignored in every major marvel event.

It’s not easy being a psylocke fan
    Last edited by crimsontt; 03-10-2021 at 05:54 PM.

I had to update the endless parade of disappointments:

———

9- X-Men the last stand
    10- being one of the few main x-men left out o X-Men Evolution
    11- being left out of the TAS main roster in favor of jean, even when she was one of the most popular x-women by the time the series first aires.
    12- being humiliated by emma frost in her single appearance in Wolverine and the X-men AS
    13- having only 2 lines and less than 5min screen time in X-Men Apocalipse even being heavily marketed in promotional material
    14- being dragged by the, then unpopular, Claremont to his d-list Exiles, briefly after her ressurection (almost 5 years dead and away of the x-franchises). As if serving his poor fanfics in the book wasn’t enough, he had her fall in love for (alt) sabretooth and becoming the punchbag for an alt slaymaster.
    15- being the only major x-men left out of X-Men legends 2 after her almost imperceptible appereance in the last level of the first game
    16- giving dazzler a mere headache with a fully powered strike of her psychic dagger and then getting her face melted by ali during fraction’s Sisterhood
    17-being sidelined to the cringe-y Humphries Uncanny x-force after her absolute success in an A list x-force team.
    18- being forever ignored in every major marvel event.

I agree. Psylocke's/Betsy's fans are like living in their own dream and bubble. They keep thinking something great would happen to the character but only disappointment has come one by one. I especially feel sorry for those 80s fans that they have been following the character for like 40 years but she still remains B to C list...Betsy is such a laughing stock but so does her fans and sad to be one.
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-10-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think I will say 5. I HATED how she was killed like 2-3 issues after she debuted that X-treme costume! The book wasnt great but Betsy was my favorite character so killing her so early on killed my excitement for future issues
    X-treme X-Men was actually the first comics I've ever bought cause I love Betsy/Psylocke in other medium (especially in video games) only to find out she's killed in 3 issues LOL. I loved the costume and the brief moments she's there, especially Rogue's memory of her sparring with Betsy and she's staying by her friends fighting till the very end

That doesn't stop me from buying back issues relating to her even goes back to the Outback days.

Unpopular opinion: I came back to comics because of Betsy in X-treme X-Men. And Salvador Larroca art. And then they kill her in issue two.

I WAS DEVASTATED but stick with X-treme X-Men even through the Kordey art.

That's our cross to bear

I'm already resigned to the fact that Betsy will never ever get a proper adaptation in the other media, especially now that Kwannon took her place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psigal View Post
    Yea, 4 is the worst! If I am some kind of young reader, my reaction after reading Excalibur would be:

After issue 1-15
    "This purple hair auntie may look beautiful but she is damn useless and got shattered into pieces! HAHAHAHAHA! She is so hilarious and incompetent! I will never like this character!"

After issue 16-18
    "Oh my god, she is evil now! Someone need to put this useless witch down!"

After issue 19-20
    "This black hair Ninja is so cool and she has defeated this useless purple hair evil Knight! I love her!"

Kwannon's fans +1, Betsy's fans -1

Hickman and Tini : "Character assassination is completed. You all Betsy's fans think she is going to become something big? No way! She will be more useless than before and Kwannon will be the new heroine! However, you all Betsy's fans would still remain in the dream of that but that isn't our plan, haha."
    this seems like your reaction that you are trying to pass as objective criticism.

If this is how you see her and kwannon is so cool just ENJOY her, stop making an apreciation thread so negative just because you can't come to the conclusion that you just need to start ENJOYING kwannon and leave this "useless " character be, if you are making these type of interpretations from the book that are blantly done in bad faith just to compare it to kwannon, more and more it seems like you need to stop focusing so harshly on something that doesnt make you happy.

because already making an opinion on TWO ISSUES THAT AREN'T EVEN OUT YET is just... no words lmao.
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-10-2021 at 11:18 PM.