Page 48 of 110 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Are writers making Betsy into a spoiled princess who needs saving as a way of "making up/repenting" for past writers messing up that whole storyline?

Anyway, as a Monet fan, it doesn't sound very promising that Betsy isn't being written well. :/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So my issue with TH Betsy Braddock was summed up by someone else:

“Betsy Braddock is an incredibly strong resilient person who rolls with the punches and gets up time and time again after taking a beating.

Yes, she’s had moments of self-doubt and the occasional angst-ridden inner monologue but which comic hero hasn’t?

She’s literally someone who’s previously helped save the multiverse already. Waaaaay before the Krakoan era.

I do not understand why they keep writing her so spineless, petulant and weak. It doesn’t jive too well.”

It was a good issue but it actually wasn’t Betsy taking control. It was once again someone helping Betsy and Betsy not taking initiative.

We’ll see what happens w the last issue.
    she literaly was crying on a bathtub and tried to kill herself in uncanny x-force.

you are correct that she is like that but there's a breaking point, and she has been rolling with the punches for 17 issues never really stoping, she was rolling even when in another person's body and with an alternate kwannon.
    She took the initiative the take the starlightsword and it ended up in a mess.

This was a breaking point where she wasn't even in a body and had just been possesed by malice AND trown around the multiverse in confusion, this really wasn't a normal situation and it's pretty reasonable that she's in severe shock and not in her best state of mind.

She's a specter of herself consumed by her negative emotions.
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-24-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    she literaly was crying on a bathtub on uncanny x-force, you are correct that she is like that but there's a breaking point, and she has been rolling with the punches for 17 issues never really stoping, she was rolling even when in another person's body and with an alternate kwannon.
    She took the initiative the take the starlightsword and it ended up in a mess.

This was a breaking point where she wasn't even in a body and had just been possesed by malice AND trown around the multiverse in confusion, this really wasn't a normal situation and it's pretty reasonable that she's in severe shock and not in her best state of mind.

I agree, not everyone is strong all the time and Betsy has had this sort of moment before. I'm not a big fan of Excalibur so far but it wasn't out of character for someone who's had her recent experiences.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    I hate to admit it, but from what I've read, I'm leaning towards this.

I know Tini probably has a long plot regarding Betsy and her journey is far from over, but just in 2 issues Kwannon has been written better than the 19 issues Betsy's in. Good for Kwannon, I can't help but being reminded how similar they are (with Betsy in her Psylocke days). I really hope Kwannon's involvement in the arc meant something and bring some resolution about their relationship. If not, I think her role is better suited for Rogue.

My biggest problem is Betsy's characterization. There's a jarring shift of characterization between #17 Betsy and #19 Betsy;
    Sure, Betsy has had so many phases in her life and has been through a lot. She should've been more mature by now. But being written constantly like a entitled spoiled princess is a novel for her.
    because in issue 19 she's a spirit with no body, who's suffering her own pilled up failures and losses, she's not in her right state of mind!
    She doesn't even remember that the corps are back, camon now all of your criticism really are explained by the fact that she's in a vulnerable and altered state.

She's a literal banshee, wailing her pain betwen life and death, lashing out without much control, she's even hauting a location in the woods, burning away at anyone close to her.
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-24-2021 at 08:04 AM.

This thread has become "Betsy's fans trying to find excuses for her being completely useless in Excalibur" so the writer can get away, lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Psigal View Post
    This thread has become "Betsy's fans trying to find excuses for her being useless in Excalibur" so the writer can get away, lol.
    and these type of posts have been " poster that clearly has not read anything substancial about betsy braddock telling fans that have read her entire apearence history that they are wrong witout ever providing proper arguments or evidence"
    it gets tiring, because you are clearly posting in bad faith
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-24-2021 at 08:13 AM.

and these type of posts have been " poster that clearly has not read anything substancial about betsy braddock telling fans that have read her entire apearence history that they are wrong witout ever providing proper arguments or evidence"
    it gets tiring, because you are clearly posting in bad faith
    Not really, I love Betsy and I just don't want to see her being trashed by writer like what I am reading right now. So, unless she is being restored(all previous 40 years development) in the next issue, I can confirm her character is assassinated.
    Last edited by Psigal; 03-24-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Honestly Betsy isn’t being trashed. That’s an exaggeration.

The Betsy we know is still there. I just wish TH was better at showing glimpses of it.

It just not how I expected her to be written and I guess that’s on me.

And I really don’t get the Uncanny X-Force comparison.

That run literally shows what we are used to seeing and this run is basically her in the tub all 18 issues.

The book was confusing. I see what Tini is doing but the execution leaves alot to be desired

That is a ridiculous statement. No character is ever written with the entirety of their history in mind.

This run is about Betsy finally addressing everything she has done, and has been done to her. She’s holding a title she has wanted since the 80s, so there’s your character history and development, because she’s always wanted to be the hero Brian was. With Krakoa, Betsy is finally given the chance to take account for everything, and of course it’s a long process.

The Betsy we love is in this run; you’re just being hyperbolic.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psigal View Post
    Not really, I love Betsy and I just don't want to see her being trashed by writer like what I am reading right now. So, unless she is being restored(all previous 40 years development) in the next issue, I can confirm her character is assassinated.
    “Assassinated” is kind of dramatic. I don’t particularly like how she’s being written but nothing is so bad that it can’t be fixed. Tini just is not a good writer IMO. For any good in Excalibur, there’s sooo much bad and bad execution.

This arc has more questions on execution

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Honestly Betsy isn’t being trashed. That’s an exaggeration.

The Betsy we know is still there. I just wish TH was better at showing glimpses of it.

It just not how I expected her to be written and I guess that’s on me.

And I really don’t get the Uncanny X-Force comparison.

That run literally shows what we are used to seeing and this run is basically her in the tub all 18 issues.
    it's a comparison betwen two betsy breakdowns, betsy is very strong but she does it by hiding away her vulnerability or pushing it down until it crashes, in this issue she's removed from her body and put out in the open in a raw way, she's not in her proper state of mind.

this issue was a manifestation of that, betsy is basicaly a ghost, a specter or a banshee, in ficion undead spirits that die in violent ways with a violent life like betsy end up becoming agressive and twisted, wailing their pain as their memory of the facts starts to crumble away, after malice's possesion (wich we know causes severe damage on people)it makes complete sense that a betsy with no body would be an agressive spirit.

once she regains her clarity, once she knows she didnt fail, her and kwannon have an honest conversation that puts them in similar footing, it show's us betsy's inner state and vulnerability while pushing the narrative of these two women forward.
    it's basicaly an episode of ghost whisperer!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by braddocks View Post
    The Betsy we love is in this run; you’re just being hyperbolic.
    Eh... the Betsy I love is not in this run. She’s dull as hell and I’d like to see some sort of actual fire that we saw before the “swap” and who she grew into during that time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Eh... the Betsy I love is not in this run. She’s dull as hell and I’d like to see some sort of actual fire that we saw before the “swap” and who she grew into during that time.
    I count the captain brittains as versions of betsy that arent going trough years of trauma and turmoil, and they had more than fire! (I understand your pov just showing a difrent prespective)

because in issue 19 she's a spirit with no body, who's suffering her own pilled up failures and losses, she's not in her right state of mind!
    She doesn't even remember that the corps are back, camon now all of your criticism really are explained by the fact that she's in a vulnerable and altered state.

She's a literal banshee, wailing her pain betwen life and death, lashing out without much control, she's even hauting a location in the woods, burning away at anyone close to her.
    She was also just a mere soul in Hunt of Wolverine: Madripoor. But she's strong enough to bounce back from defeat, beat Styx at her own game and create her own body.

In Excalibur, she literally made her team, family, the Quiet council, and the entire Captain Britain corps looking for her. Yep, she didn't know the corps exists but she still has responsibilities for her team, family, Krakoa and Great Britain. She was determined, cool, calm and collected in issue #17 but in #19 she was a total mess. It's very jarring. .