Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Realistically, Jason would have been the tip of the iceberg. There should be a mountain of dead children in Batman's wake.
    Tim was it for me. I think Batman works best with Robin part of the status quo. Tim was Bruce taking all his lessons in mentoring and generally training the most rounded Robin who was likely to be his best successor. Every Robin and new protoge afterward has been diminishing returns.

I like others, but I won't pretend that every new child soldier in Gotham just eviscerates the stakes. Remember when Bruce and Dick trained for years, with Dick even coming with pre-installed acrobatics and mastery over fear? Characters are Robin level right out of the box now. It means nothing.

I think the reason I like Steph so much is because she was just not at their level and it made her compelling.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-13-2021 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Tim was it for me. I think Batman works best with Robin part of the status quo. Tim was Bruce taking all his lessons in mentoring and generally training the most rounded Robin who was likely to be his best successor. Every Robin and new protoge afterward has been diminishing returns.
    Technically there's only been one Robin after Tim unless you count Steph and Duke...and to be honest Steph is the only one who was an "official" Robin. She even got a story in the anniversary special and everything.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Technically there's only been one Robin after Tim unless you count Steph and Duke...and to be honest Steph is the only one who was an "official" Robin. She even got a story in the anniversary special and everything.
    I said "and new protoge"

That includes Damian, Steph as Robin, Harper, Duke, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I said "and new protoge"

That includes Damian, Steph as Robin, Harper, Duke, etc.
    there isn't really an etcetera, that's the full list of protégés after Tim. and honestly, of these characters the only ones who really acted as a protégé to Bruce are Harper and Duke. Damian was more Dick's protégé than Bruce's, his Robin is usually more independent in relation to Bruce's Batman, and Steph was Robin for half a blink and was/has been Batgirl or Spoiler for far more significant portions of her hero career.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I like both and would like to see more of both.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    there isn't really an etcetera, that's the full list of protégés after Tim. and honestly, of these characters the only ones who really acted as a protégé to Bruce are Harper and Duke. Damian was more Dick's protégé than Bruce's, his Robin is usually more independent in relation to Bruce's Batman, and Steph was Robin for half a blink and was/has been Batgirl or Spoiler for far more significant portions of her hero career.
    With Damian he started off as Dick's Robin but eventually gravitated back to Bruce for the tail end of Morrison's run/Tomasi's Batman and Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With Damian he started off as Dick's Robin but eventually gravitated back to Bruce for the tail end of Morrison's run/Tomasi's Batman and Robin.
    I'm sure he's had some adventures with Bruce but most of Damian's history with Bruce has been him dealing with him as a father/son dynamic or with him doing his own thing elsewhere (usually with the Teen Titans). Damian's most significant time within the protégé/mentor dynamic was his time with Dick.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Bluebird

They've gotta have Clownhunter interact with the Row siblings at some point, especially given Cullen being swayed into Punchline's way of thinking. Would make for some interesting drama for Bluebird to have to confront Clownhunter over this.

Incredible Member

I like them both. They both have unique perspective/role in franchise. Honestly, like them better than any OC characters Scott Snyder or Tom King introduced.

I'd like to see Ghost-Maker outside Batman's sphere in his full glory (ie killing). Otherwise, he becomes watered down and is not much different from a lot of characters in Batman's realm.

I'm not sure where Clownhunter goes from here, as said, he can't kill joker goons forever. Where does the character go after that? We don't need another kid in the cave, there are enough already.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Spectacular Member

Don't particularly care for either, but don't mind them either, at least thus far.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'd like to see Ghost-Maker outside Batman's sphere in his full glory (ie killing). Otherwise, he becomes watered down and is not much different from a lot of characters in Batman's realm.

I'm not sure where Clownhunter goes from here, as said, he can't kill joker goons forever. Where does the character go after that? We don't need another kid in the cave, there are enough already.
    Ghostmaker is a watered down concept no matter how you slice it. On his own, with no fetters from Batman...and he's just Batman who kills which is a major yawn. Ghostmaker with Batman? He's just another random vigilante with no real characterization so double yawn.

And Clownhunter is worse, he's a complete one note character

Astonishing Member

I don't mind if Ghost-Maker will stay.
    Don't give a **** about Clownhunter, though.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am a bit more interested in Ghost Maker than Clownhunter, but that could change if there was more about CH...he might could be an interesting character to me.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Ghost-Maker, I think he has big potential both in and out of Gotham so definitely want him to stick around.

I don't care for Clownhunter. The concept is a bit one-note (think 90s Huntress), design is hideous and I'm really over kid vigilantes in Gotham. There are waaaaaaay too many.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!