Default Will the Grant Morrison Batman Omnibus give me the full Morrison experience?

I've read only a handful of Morrison's Batman. I've noticed there are 3 Morrison Batman Omnibuses (Omnibi?). Anyone know if these volumes collect everything Morrison Batman properly? Any glaring omissions or other issues that are needed to make the story make sense from other series he didn't write perhaps?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I've read only a handful of Morrison's Batman. I've noticed there are 3 Morrison Batman Omnibuses (Omnibi?). Anyone know if these volumes collect everything Morrison Batman properly? Any glaring omissions or other issues that are needed to make the story make sense from other series he didn't write perhaps?
    I'd say it's as close to the full experience as makes no difference! You don't get "Final Crisis", but you get some issues that spring you up to speed with it - the omnibuses also include the bit of foreshadowing in the "52" weekly series Morrison was one of the writers on.

So i'd say you're well set!

The 3 Omnibus only collecton marterial 100% by Morrison, and only the material from his long run around the Flashpoint era.
    So in the 3 Omnibus you don't get, from memory:

- Batman: Gothic - his 1st Batman story in the 90's
    - Arkham Asylum: A serious house on a serious earth - his work with Dave McKean on the origins of the Asylum
    - The Black Casebook - a anthologie of stories compiled by Morrison that inspired his run - about weird cases and odd team-ups
    - The Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul - a crossover after the 1st story of his run: Batman & Son
    - Seven Solders of Victory + The Final Crisis - DC event during his run in which Batman disapears - co-written by him also
    - Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader ? - A story by Neil Gaiman in which all the friend of Batman go to his funeral and tel stories they remember.
    - Battle for the Cowl - by Tony S Daniel - A conflict between the Batfamilly to determine who'll replace Batman <- story right before Morrison's "Batman & Robin" run

Also for your knowledge, "Batman Inc. New52" (by Morrison and included) happens in paralelle to Batman & Robin New52 by Peter Tomasi tpb #1-3.
    Then "Batman & Robin New52" still by Tomasi continues the events that hapenned in "Batman Inc. New52".
    Torward the end of "Batman & Robin New52" - you have the mini-série We Are Robin" and the event Robin War.
    After that, the true comeback of Robin is told in Robin, Son of Batman.

If you then want to continue the Damian Wayne saga you should read side by side:
    - Teen Titans Rebirth (all tpb) - something important happens at the end
    - Super Sons + Adventures of the Super-Sons + Challenge of the Super Sons (ongoing - even if it happens before the end of Teen Titans rebirth).

=> for a nice read of his long run, I would recommand really reading:
    - The Black Casebook
    - Battle for the Cowl
    - Batman & Robin by Tomasi
    - Robin, Son of Batman by Patrick Gleason
    Last edited by jb681131; 01-04-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    The 3 Omnibus only collecton marterial 100% by Morrison, and only the material from his long run around the Flashpoint era.
    So in the 3 Omnibus you don't get, from memory:

- Batman: Gothic - his 1st Batman story in the 90's
    - Arkham Asylum: A serious house on a serious earth - his work with Dave McKean on the origins of the Asylum
    - The Black Casebook - a anthologie of stories compiled by Morrison that inspired his run - about weird cases and odd team-ups
    - The Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul - a crossover after the 1st story of his run: Batman & Son
    - Seven Solders of Victory + The Final Crisis - DC event during his run in which Batman disapears - co-written by him also
    - Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader ? - A story by Neil Gaiman in which all the friend of Batman go to his funeral and tel stories they remember.
    - Battle for the Cowl - by Tony S Daniel - A conflict between the Batfamilly to determine who'll replace Batman <- story right before Morrison's "Batman & Robin" run

Also for your knowledge, "Batman Inc. New52" (by Morrison and included) happens in paralelle to Batman & Robin New52 by Peter Tomasi tpb #1-3.
    Then "Batman & Robin New52" still by Tomasi continues the events that hapenned in "Batman Inc. New52".
    Torward the end of "Batman & Robin New52" - you have the mini-série We Are Robin" and the event Robin War.
    After that, the true comeback of Robin is told in Robin, Son of Batman.

If you then want to continue the Damian Wayne saga you should read side by side:
    - Teen Titans Rebirth (all tpb) - something important happens at the end
    - Super Sons + Adventures of the Super-Sons + Challenge of the Super Sons (ongoing - even if it happens before the end of Teen Titans rebirth).

=> for a nice read of his long run, I would recommand really reading:
    - The Black Casebook
    - Battle for the Cowl
    - Batman & Robin by Tomasi
    - Robin, Son of Batman by Patrick Gleason

Aside from final crisis and tomasi batman and robin most of what's listed above is not essential.. The black casebook does however give great insight into the run.. Battle for the cowl (as well as life after death and eye of the beholder) do a nice job of telling its own story spinning out of r.i.p. But are not essential imo. Same as whatever happened to the caper crusader, it's a beautiful book and everyone loves it but it's not essential.

I think just reading the three omnibus released for Morrison's run will give you a great experience. There may be a few moments here or there that don't make sense but overall it should be fine.. I'm pretty sure the omnibus give a brief synopsis on resurrection of ras and final crisis.

Ok awesome, good to know!

I would also add, that there are also a few chapters of "Batman & Robin" not by Morrison that are therefor not in his Omnibus. But they are easily skippable.

Mighty Member

The first omnibus has newly drawn pages to fill in the gaps from the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul - if you get there and find you want to know more, you can duck out to read the crossover then. Likewise, when you get to where Final Crisis takes place, there are recap pages with panels from FC. So yes, while those two events present something of a hole in things, it is very clear (a) the basics of what happened and (b) where you could put down the omnibus if you want to read those stories.

Only other thing to note is that Flashpoint happens essentially in the middle of volume 3, so there will be some character changes due to that.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    So yes, while those two events present something of a hole in things
    I see what you did there.