Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Converting Peege to movie is definitely going to NOT be true to her comics self if it is standalone and apart from a verse where there is a Supergirl.

I think the bottom line for me is the character must be scrappy, confident, and body positive as well as as donning the classic costume
    Very important traits for our girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, but GotG is lightning in a bottle. It's like landing triple cherries seven times in a row on July 7th, 1977. It's an exception. I'll also add it took extreme liberties with its source material and has now changed the source material to reflect the more successful movie.

I do not want that happening with Karen.
    Which is the most probably would happen if a movie is made. Because you can't have Power Girl without explain Superman. Even in the Supergirl movie with Helen Slater, they took their time to explain who Superman was, even if Superman never appeared in the movie.
    But how you put that in a movie where time had restrictions and you must made the max information in the less time possible and still keep a good narrative?
    You have to explant than she is an she is not like Supergirl, than she is from a parallel universe, she is older and different...

Look, people knows Supergirl, but Power Girl is less known. And if you want to make a movie of Power Girl, if you go with the classic origin people is going to be confused, unless already the multiverse had been explained. At worst, most people is going to associate her with the Galatea character from the DCAU.

Which makes even more sad than the Supergirl series had not used the chance to introduce the character and erase tha conception.

Because there is always the possibility any brilliant scripter decides to use the Atlantis origin and relate her to Aquaman.
    You had been warned.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

If I had to start from scratch to introduce Power Girl:

I would introduce her as an adult Supergirl. I would establish Superman, a small JSA team, her relationship with them. I would have a scientist character explain the multiverse concept to her and the viewer. Then the world gets blown up with Karen arriving in a new universe where everybody is familiar but they are completely different from one another. The Superman, Huntress, Wildcat and Jay Garrick do not recognize. Their histories and personalities are completely different. This disconnect would give her a conflict that she can't punch her away out of and as she tries to acclimate to this new world, she also has to rally the heroes of this new world to face the threat that destroyed her world. The threat could either be Brainiac, Mongul or Imperiex or Darkseid. After that threat is dealt with, Karen becomes the pov character and we get to see this new universe develop from her perspective.

I'm not imagining this as a movie but more like a mini series.

That's essentially how I'd play it too, though I'd save "Karen rallies everyone to defeat the world eater" for the sequel.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If I had to start from scratch to introduce Power Girl:

I would introduce her as an adult Supergirl. I would establish Superman, a small JSA team, her relationship with them. I would have a scientist character explain the multiverse concept to her and the viewer. Then the world gets blown up with Karen arriving in a new universe where everybody is familiar but they are completely different from one another. The Superman, Huntress, Wildcat and Jay Garrick do not recognize. Their histories and personalities are completely different. This disconnect would give her a conflict that she can't punch her away out of and as she tries to acclimate to this new world, she also has to rally the heroes of this new world to face the threat that destroyed her world. The threat could either be Brainiac, Mongul or Imperiex or Darkseid. After that threat is dealt with, Karen becomes the pov character and we get to see this new universe develop from her perspective.

I'm not imagining this as a movie but more like a mini series.
    You lost me here. This is erasure of her character.
    PG.jpg

She purposely refused to call herself Super-anything.

I think people way over think PG.

Doesnt matter she isnt known

I'd argue Deadpool was totally unknown to the general population and it was a huge hit, just took a good trailer and people accept the premise and run with it.

PG literally could be explained with a couple throw away lines, this idea that the multiverse is this hugely foriegn concept is bogus... dimensions and multiverse concepts are in endless mediums...

PG needs an R rating and a jacked chick who is super athletic. Make her rich. Make her smart. Make her witty and loaded with attitude. Make her lean into her big bust not shy from it, make her posh and beautiful. Make her look like she could crush any man, even Superman, make her a lot of fun.

I love Hit-girls portrayal from Kick-ass... take some nods from them.

The chick that plays PG should be jacked! Set her far apart costume and physicality from Supergirl...

This kindof physic

IMG_20210123_204614.jpg
    Last edited by Menacer; 01-23-2021 at 10:06 PM.

You lost me here. This is erasure of her character.
    PG.jpg

She purposely refused to call herself Super-anything.
    If you show that to a modern day feminist, even they would think PG is being a jerk here. There is no problem with her wanting to be her own person but it is rude of her to smash something someone made for her as a gift.

Peeg is a grown up Supergirl. It is part of the character's inception. Even her real name 'Karen' is similar. In the context of the series I was thinking of she could easily be either Supergirl who graduated to Power Girl ala Nightwing or she started off as Power Girl from the beginning and was about to become Power Woman before her world got blown up.

At first it'd definitely be uneasy. PG would feel like an imposter and intruder, reminded she's facing the actual Kara Zor-El of that universe. I think Supergirl would look at PG and think she's amazing and that SG would never measure up. Karen's tough, she's stronger, she's (seemingly) confident and never once let anyone put her in a place or position she doesn't want to be in. While Kara wrestles with being #2 to Superman, Karen never let anyone do that to her.

They'd both feel like the other was better than they were. They'd end up bonding and just becoming friends after a while, but I think Karen would always feel a little bit like an intruder.
    When has Karen been shown as stronger?

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

I'd argue Deadpool was totally unknown to the general population and it was a huge hit, just took a good trailer and people accept the premise and run with it.

PG literally could be explained with a couple throw away lines, this idea that the multiverse is this hugely foriegn concept is bogus... dimensions and multiverse concepts are in endless mediums...

PG needs an R rating and a jacked chick who is super athletic. Make her rich. Make her smart. Make her witty and loaded with attitude. Make her lean into her big bust not shy from it, make her posh and beautiful. Make her look like she could crush any man, even Superman, make her a lot of fun.

The chick that plays PG should be jacked! Set her far apart costume and physicality from Supergirl...

This kindof physic

IMG_20210123_204614.jpg
    Power Girl does not need an R Rating and she is nothing like Hit-Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post

This kindof physic

IMG_20210123_204614.jpg
    A good take and the right direction can make any character a success in a movie. But there are a lot of factors which are unknown about how it can happen. But you are right about make PG physical and personality distinc from Supergirl. But the problem is explain how she is "A cousin of Superman" and at the same time a different character. In movies, time is a problem because if you want to tell a story you have to make certain aspects easy and fast to understand. Losing time in explanations can drown the rythm. You either explain well the character or people will end believing than Power Girtl is SUpergilr who changed her name.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

First off, in a Power Girl movie/TV show you don't have to and shouldn't reference Supergirl at all. Though PG had her genesis in being the Earth 2 version of SG, that's about all she has in common with SG, and in universe has little to do with her. As for Superman...well, I admit it would be too cute by half to simply not mention him at all....but the mention could be kept to an off-hand reference by PG to baby Kal, to another character, or perhaps that's part of the point of a PG movie, showing her try to get to him on Earth from wherever she ends up, (why do all Kryptonians seem to go to Earth?) before getting to Earth. In fact, the multiverse concept could be left out in a first movie or early TV show episodes.

It's just a stripped down origin story focusing on PG and HER story, not anyone else's. That movie wouldn't even care that SG exists, and care little about SM. The movie would spend the time it would have wasted confusing general audiences with talk about a character who doesn't even show up instead on PG's character and the hopefully simple plot. And instead of concentrating on casting a body builder or fitness model who looks the Ross part but can't act and locks her into that role, I'd go for the best actress who can sort of look the part, and give her a few months to work out and practice stunt fighting. And the best actors to support her.

It's not rocket science; she's actually one of the easiest characters DC has to do a proper movie about.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    First off, in a Power Girl movie/TV show you don't have to and shouldn't reference Supergirl at all. Though PG had her genesis in being the Earth 2 version of SG, that's about all she has in common with SG, and in universe has little to do with her. As for Superman...well, I admit it would be too cute by half to simply not mention him at all....but the mention could be kept to an off-hand reference by PG to baby Kal, to another character, or perhaps that's part of the point of a PG movie, showing her try to get to him on Earth from wherever she ends up, (why do all Kryptonians seem to go to Earth?) before getting to Earth. In fact, the multiverse concept could be left out in a first movie or early TV show episodes.

It's just a stripped down origin story focusing on PG and HER story, not anyone else's. That movie wouldn't even care that SG exists, and care little about SM. The movie would spend the time it would have wasted confusing general audiences with talk about a character who doesn't even show up instead on PG's character and the hopefully simple plot. And instead of concentrating on casting a body builder or fitness model who looks the Ross part but can't act and locks her into that role, I'd go for the best actress who can sort of look the part, and give her a few months to work out and practice stunt fighting. And the best actors to support her.

It's not rocket science; she's actually one of the easiest characters DC has to do a proper movie about.
    What if we had her appear on Earth-0? What is Earth-0 you may ask? I haven't heard any references to in in DC comics, but in my case, I am using the label to refer to our Earth plus her, and whatever supervillains we may add to make her story interesting. So Earth-0 doesn't have a Metropolis, no National City either, just the cities you see on our maps, familiar political situations and crime stories. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Power Girl does not need an R Rating and she is nothing like Hit-Girl.
    Strong personality, capable fighter, usually one step ahead of everyone else, and chloe is amazing actress. Not just in kick ass but in her general filmography...

Im not talking a carbon copy by any stretch. Just the playfulness that chloe brings to her characters

May not require an R but definitely dont want it to be made for the kids you know. Have fun with the character and her empowered sexual history...

If pg doesnt look physical different from the slim or girly supergirl then why do pg at all. She needs to be womanly, strong, buff...

If that means sending an actress to the gym for 6 months or if that means casting a body builder that can act, either way im good

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    What if we had her appear on Earth-0? What is Earth-0 you may ask? I haven't heard any references to in in DC comics, but in my case, I am using the label to refer to our Earth plus her, and whatever supervillains we may add to make her story interesting. So Earth-0 doesn't have a Metropolis, no National City either, just the cities you see on our maps, familiar political situations and crime stories. How does that work?
    Earth 0 is the mainstream universe; the world of the readers is earth prime. And there are constants mentions and references to that. A lot.

And how do you stream down Power girl origin without mention Superman or Supergirl? The moment you mentions "she came from Krypton" or " she is the survivor of a destroyed planet who have superpowers on earth", the association will be automatic.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Earth 0 is the mainstream universe; the world of the readers is earth prime. And there are constants mentions and references to that. A lot.

And how do you stream down Power girl origin without mention Superman or Supergirl? The moment you mentions "she came from Krypton" or " she is the survivor of a destroyed planet who have superpowers on earth", the association will be automatic.
    But if she came from a parallel universe, the universe she ends up in doesn't necessarily have to be a universe with a Superman or a Krypton in it.