Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Ok I'm done. Power Girl having a hole in her chest isn't part of her personality. You don't know anything about the character and I think you should stop caring about her cleavage since you aren't even a fan of her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    I guess I'm a terrible person for wanting comic book women to be pretty looking and being attracted to them. I accept who I am and that I am attracted to women as nature intended me to be. I don't fight my nature and feel guilty for being born as some would seem to expect of me.
    No one said you were a terrible person or expects you to feel guilty.

...Ok but we are in agreement that her backstory is wayyyy to convoluted to be adapted

Women don't eliminate with their breasts. Men have breasts too, though usually not as big as women have them. I've seen naked breasts, they're not a big deal, they just look different from men's breasts. A lot of women's clothes show part of their breasts, usually the nipples are covered up, as if men did not have nipples. Men and women look different, women have wider hips and rounded breasts than men, that is what makes them attractive to men. Are we supposed to pretend men and women look the same? I would say that any woman that wears an outfit like what Powergirl has, wants to show off her breasts, and likely wants some attention from some men.
    Which makes it all the more nonsensical for her to wear that, as she's usually angry when men notice the window in her top.
    It was done for titillation of straight male readers and has never suited the character's personality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    ...Ok but we are in agreement that her backstory is wayyyy to convoluted to be adapted
    Superman's cousin from an alternate dimension isn't very convoluted in theory(though DC went out of their way to make it convoluted), unless you're talking about the Atlantean stuff and other things, which I agree is convoluted and unnecessary.

"Superman's cousin from another dimension" is pretty simple to say.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Which makes it all the more nonsensical for her to wear that, as she's usually angry when men notice the window in her top.
    It was done for titillation of straight male readers and has never suited the character's personality.
    Kind of like how I feel if I woke up in Powergirl's body and had a bunch of males leering at me and staring at my boobs, of course that would be me with my make inclinations, it would make an interesting fan fiction in fact. Imagine a fictional me swapped bodies with Powergirl, I'm stuck with her boobs and superpowers and Powergirl is stuck in my body, and nobody is staring at her boobs anymore because there is nothing to stare at. I don't think I would wear a shirt with a hole in it, but maybe Karen with her female inclinations would, so in the comic book, I would find a way to switch bodies back with her so she can get her boobs and superpowers back and we can go our separate ways.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I agree. Though it will be easier to introduce her in a universe that's already established otherwise you would be stuck establishing the history of the main universe and how it differs from PG's alternate universe. The Supergirl show would have been perfect but I think they missed the boat on that one. Here is hoping that she appears on Stargirl or the new Superman show.

Kind of like how I feel if I woke up in Powergirl's body and had a bunch of males leering at me and staring at my boobs, of course that would be me with my make inclinations, it would make an interesting fan fiction in fact. Imagine a fictional me swapped bodies with Powergirl, I'm stuck with her boobs and superpowers and Powergirl is stuck in my body, and nobody is staring at her boobs anymore because there is nothing to stare at. I don't think I would wear a shirt with a hole in it, but maybe Karen with her female inclinations would, so in the comic book, I would find a way to switch bodies back with her so she can get her boobs and superpowers back and we can go our separate ways.
    Ironically, they had one of her enemies be the Ultra-Humanite who "wanted" her body in the sense he wanted to have his mind in her body. What's interesting is that, in 1938-39, he was originally an enemy of Superman and surgically switched minds with people and seemed to prefer it be females. Maybe that was a bit too far when Superman started really catching on as a mainstream character and maybe explains why Lex Luthor was pushed to the front of the line while the UH disappeared.

But, of course, any of us, especially being male out entire lives, would understand why guys were looking but also be going, "From this point of view, can't you jerks at least pretend you aren't staring?"

As to her origin, if you tried to incorporate every version of it (like that Atlantis thing), it would be difficult. But, to a sci fi audience, she's another reality's version of Supergirl works just fine.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Not for normies. Plus we have to introduce the multiverse. Also they haven't gotten Superman right so they will mess up PG too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Ironically, they had one of her enemies be the Ultra-Humanite who "wanted" her body in the sense he wanted to have his mind in her body. What's interesting is that, in 1938-39, he was originally an enemy of Superman and surgically switched minds with people and seemed to prefer it be females. Maybe that was a bit too far when Superman started really catching on as a mainstream character and maybe explains why Lex Luthor was pushed to the front of the line while the UH disappeared.

But, of course, any of us, especially being male out entire lives, would understand why guys were looking but also be going, "From this point of view, can't you jerks at least pretend you aren't staring?"

As to her origin, if you tried to incorporate every version of it (like that Atlantis thing), it would be difficult. But, to a sci fi audience, she's another reality's version of Supergirl works just fine.
    I am just saying that maybe Powergirl shouldn't be portrayed as if it were me in her body. If I was her, I might not like all the male attention I would be getting, but I am not her, so how about a female perspective instead? If it were a bunch of pretty women ogling me instead, I might not mind so much. Karen might not mind some of it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I am just saying that maybe Powergirl shouldn't be portrayed as if it were me in her body. If I was her, I might not like all the male attention I would be getting, but I am not her, so how about a female perspective instead? If it were a bunch of pretty women ogling me instead, I might not mind so much. Karen might not mind some of it.
    As someone who was objectified while working (from being given phone numbers to outright asked to take my clothes off), by both men and women, it can get very uncomfortable even if you're attracted to that particular sex or person. You're just trying to do your job and people are making it about what they want from you. It's not fun, dude. The amount of times it's pleasant is overwhelmingly outnumbered by the times it ranges from awkward to outright awful.

You keep looking for excuses to make Karen receptive to sexual harassment and that's really not cool.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-12-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Not for normies. Plus we have to introduce the multiverse. Also they haven't gotten Superman right so they will mess up PG too.
    Years ago I would've agreed with you about the multiverse thing, but general audiences have become accustomed to alternate realities, different timelines, and so on. It's not the hurdle it used to be. Especially if you structured the film in a linear fashion, without flashbacks, so viewers could watch Karen go from earth-2 to earth-1 (or whatever we call it.) It'd be very easy to keep up with and understand then.

It could still go terribly, horribly wrong of course, and you're totally right that DC can't figure out Superman so the odds of them getting PG or Kara or Jon or Conner or whoever right seems fairly low. I mean, the only reason we need to assume the film would fail is that it'd be WB doing it, and they've screwed up franchise as simple and straight forward as the Birds of Prey. But of all the problems we'd likely face with a PG film, the multiverse origin isn't on the list anymore.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

We need a bunch of female-type people on the forum expressing their opinions rather than what we, mostly a bunch of guys, think their opinions are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Years ago I would've agreed with you about the multiverse thing, but general audiences have become accustomed to alternate realities, different timelines, and so on. It's not the hurdle it used to be. Especially if you structured the film in a linear fashion, without flashbacks, so viewers could watch Karen go from earth-2 to earth-1 (or whatever we call it.) It'd be very easy to keep up with and understand then.

It could still go terribly, horribly wrong of course, and you're totally right that DC can't figure out Superman so the odds of them getting PG or Kara or Jon or Conner or whoever right seems fairly low. I mean, the only reason we need to assume the film would fail is that it'd be WB doing it, and they've screwed up franchise as simple and straight forward as the Birds of Prey. But of all the problems we'd likely face with a PG film, the multiverse origin isn't on the list anymore.
    Yes. Back when I was a teenager, I discovered a novel called "Time and Again" by Jack Finney, one of the greatest stories ever and even created a new means of time travel. But it was still basically: go back in time and have an adventure there.

25 years later, just before he died, he wrote a sequel. Time anomalies, alternate reality, memories from alternate realities that have been erased, etc. He was supposedly asked why he got so complex in the sequel. He said that when he wrote the original in 1970, it seemed time travel itself was complicated enough. But, by 1995, stuff like alternate time lines was used in children's stories. People were used to it to the point it wasn't a big deal anymore.