Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Lets call this girl Linda Lee Danvers, she is a 14 year old girl who's dying of cancer, her family has tried everything but its not working, now her mother is a scientist working at Star Labs, She is overseeing the work on the Kryptonian ship, and in a last ditch attempt to save her daughter's life she up loads her daughter's memories after she had died to the supergirl clone that she grew to match her daughter's age. She wakes up as Supergirl.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    If Lex Luthor can create Doomsday in that ship by mixing his DNA with Zod's, maybe there is a record of Kara Zor El's DNA in the ship's computer, a supergirl might be made from this. First get a human Earth girl that is dying of incurable cancer and then upload her brain pattern to the ship's computer then download that memory to the clone of Supergirl that is being grown in the ship's Genesis chamber, and there we have our Supergirl, she has no memory of Krypton but she is Supergirl, and we also have Powergirl with that memory.
    No cloning, dammit. No "she's just fake Supergirl." Galatea was bad enough.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No cloning, dammit. No "she's just fake Supergirl." Galatea was bad enough.
    Solves the problem of her being an alien and not familiar with our culture and language and also explains her superpowers quite well. Anyway, who is Supergirl supposed to be anyway? She is a girl with superpowers. I like a teenaged supergirl, and it doesn't seem likely that Kryptonian society would put their equivalent of a teenager in charge of a starship, so we need an explanation. Powergirl seems older than Supergirl, and of the two Powergirl is the starship captain and her name is Kara Zor El, the only problem is that she arrives after her Kryptonian clone with human memories establishes herself as Supergirl, so the former starship captain takes the name of Powergirl instead to avoid confusion. What's wrong with that? In the movies it has been already been established that Kryptonian society has suspended animation, brain taping, and cloning. These things taken together provide multiple avenues for establishing Supergirl and Powergirl.

As said previously in one of the appreciation threads IIRC; I would love to see a faithful to the character (including the looks) PG live action adaption outside YT fan movies. The thought of the current leadership in the current climate doing one terrifies me though. And skimming some this threads posts about either her appearance or personality is just a case in point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    As said previously in one of the appreciation threads IIRC; I would love to see a faithful to the character (including the looks) PG live action adaption outside YT fan movies. The thought of the current leadership in the current climate doing one terrifies me though. And skimming some this threads posts about either her appearance or personality is just a case in point.
    Ah but you see, it's not as much WB/ATT/DC that would do it as much as a Taita Wai...oh, however you spell it, or a Gunn or whoever with a great deal of talent in directing plus a great screenplay, and much better casting than usual for a DC movie. IMO, the biggest problems at WB for DC movies and TV has been showrunners without a proper vision for the project, poor casting, poor directing, poor acting, and terrible FX in spite of the money spent. Fix that, and make a PG movie or HBO Max series. It can be done well, it just remains to commit to doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Ah but you see, it's not as much WB/ATT/DC that would do it as much as a Taita Wai...oh, however you spell it, or a Gunn or whoever with a great deal of talent in directing plus a great screenplay, and much better casting than usual for a DC movie. IMO, the biggest problems at WB for DC movies and TV has been showrunners without a proper vision for the project, poor casting, poor directing, poor acting, and terrible FX in spite of the money spent. Fix that, and make a PG movie or HBO Max series. It can be done well, it just remains to commit to doing it.
    I may get a bit of faith if those responsible for adapting the Birds of Prey source material and characters like Cassandra Cain get a restraining order to never get close to any DC property ever again. That might be a start. I mean sure; every once in a while there is a surprise when they accidentally make a character look like their comic book version (which is the freakin point to begin with to make a movie adaption). But overall they are far faaaaar from being all viewed as clueless bumbling buffoons with no staying power to follow a plan or any respect for the characters they are adapting.
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 01-20-2021 at 10:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I may get a bit of faith if those responsible for adapting the Birds of Prey source material and characters like Cassandra Cain a restraining order to never get close to any DC property ever again. That might be a start. I mean sure; every once in a while there is a surprise when they accidentally make a character look like their comic book version (which is the freakin point to begin with to make a movie adaption). But overall they are far faaaaar from being all viewed as clueless bumbling buffoons with no staying power to follow a plan or any respect for the characters they are adapting.
    Don't get me wrong, I completely sympathize; I myself feel that way most of the time. But hey, it's a new year, not that horrible old one, and maybe some luck will happen and DC and WB will get it right and commission a PG project of some sort with the very best talent and a good vision that properly shows the character at her best from the comics, (and not make her a Mary Sue or something---give her the character's personality from the comics and a great actress). Hope springs eternal and all that. Though after thinking about it I admit the thought of ATT/WB doing anything right is....somewhat hard to believe. But it IS possible, so maybe it will happen.

Don't get me wrong, I completely sympathize; I myself feel that way most of the time. But hey, it's a new year, not that horrible old one, and maybe some luck will happen and DC and WB will get it right and commission a PG project of some sort with the very best talent and a good vision that properly shows the character at her best from the comics, (and not make her a Mary Sue or something---give her the character's personality from the comics and a great actress). Hope springs eternal and all that. Though after thinking about it I admit the thought of ATT/WB doing anything right is....somewhat hard to believe. But it IS possible, so maybe it will happen.
    Most of the time the title giving characters themselves are spot on CB recognizable or at least close to that; I give them that. Sure, in the worst case they had to change to title to the one CB accurate character in it but than it was fitting again. I sure would love to see them getting it right. I just have 0 foundation trust to them too. And as far as I can tell they have shown zero interest in regaining said trust :/

Its not like I default boycott them or anything. They bring a CB accurate movie (at least the main cast); I will give them money for it.

Extraordinary Member

Most of the time the title giving characters themselves are spot on CB recognizable or at least close to that; I give them that. Sure, in the worst case they had to change to title to the one CB accurate character in it but than it was fitting again. I sure would love to see them getting it right. I just have 0 foundation trust to them too. And as far as I can tell they have shown zero interest in regaining said trust :/

Its not like I default boycott them or anything. They bring a CB accurate movie (at least the main cast); I will give them money for it.
    Right now, it seems their priority is cutting costs, which of course means they're in an even more risk averse phase than normal. Which for ATT means characters they've personally heard of, plus whatever diversity newbies they approve. But not really existing more minor characters not already getting pushes.

Bottom line is, yeah, probably no PG movie or TV show; maybe a JSA live action TV show or animated show with her in it as the best to hope for.

Spectacular Member

Right now, it seems their priority is cutting costs, which of course means they're in an even more risk averse phase than normal. Which for ATT means characters they've personally heard of, plus whatever diversity newbies they approve. But not really existing more minor characters not already getting pushes.

Bottom line is, yeah, probably no PG movie or TV show; maybe a JSA live action TV show or animated show with her in it as the best to hope for.
    How would Kara and Karen work together?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    How would Kara and Karen work together?
    At first it'd definitely be uneasy. PG would feel like an imposter and intruder, reminded she's facing the actual Kara Zor-El of that universe. I think Supergirl would look at PG and think she's amazing and that SG would never measure up. Karen's tough, she's stronger, she's (seemingly) confident and never once let anyone put her in a place or position she doesn't want to be in. While Kara wrestles with being #2 to Superman, Karen never let anyone do that to her.

They'd both feel like the other was better than they were. They'd end up bonding and just becoming friends after a while, but I think Karen would always feel a little bit like an intruder.

Add me to the people who thinks a movie about Karen would be a bad idea.
    Right now she is not an easly translated to other media character, at least as main character for a movie for several reasons:

First, her origin depends of other characters: if you want to introduce a Power Girl faithful to the source, you should to have introduced the multiverse concept before. And you have to introduce Supergirl already too, so people can understand the relationship. And that is complicated. It was the explanation Dan DiDio used to bring back Barry Allen, if you remember. You can't have a character with an origin which depends of another character, specially if the other character has not been explained before. Because in the case of Power Girl THAT IS her origin: Alternate Supergirl. How she developted is another history, how is her personality, that are other aspects. In her genesis, she depends of other characters and that is an adaptation problem.
    Sure, you can make changes for an adaptation, like minimizing the OC (I see you, MCU Mar-Vell), or mixing the elements from different versions in the most modern character but then it will be its own creature. Just remember how in the DCAU how the Flash was Wally West, but he was a Central City C.S.I or the brown haired Kyle Ryner. You could easly used the Atlantis origin to avoid the Supergirl and multiverse conection or even you could say she is a female version of Superman from an alternate earth. Even the Galatea option is a possible way to give the character an origin but that is still linked to the origin of Supergirl. Just random ideas about possible adaptations, which could be in the shelf of possible ideas.

Second, a lot of the traits that made Power Girl unique had been made slowly transformed into Supergirl traits. Remember that Power Girl was an adult Supergirl of earth 2 in her genesis and had a different personality, meanwhile Supergirl was a teenager nice sweet behaved. Power Girl was more aggressive, assertive, Supergirl was more compliant. (I'm talking of 50s, 60s values). With the development of characters and society, the characteristics of Power Girl had been seen as more positive. But a lot of the more assertive traits of Power Girl has been transferred to Supergirl. And with an adult Supergirl in the mainstream universe, what defines Power Girl? It almost how the personality of Wally West was used as mold for Barry Allen in Justice League.

Third, mainstream feminism changed. Yes, because there is a whole assortment of feminisms, as in every idea. The feminism which backed Power Girl is a different feminism which is more trending now. For one kind of feminism Power Girl is a great representation who makes of her sexuality something to be proud of, who don't feel shame for her body; for the other,she is a damaging character and a representation of the sexual explotation and must be banned from comics. And let's be honest, part of the popularity of the character is in part for her physical attributes. Nothing wrong with that, she has a lot of other characteristics positives: she was the owner of her own enterprise, she was into the STEAM area of investigation, she had a more sassy attitude, and at least for my perception (I could be wrong) she was more close to Huntress than Supergirl ever was to Batgirl. Sadly, the more vocal extremist neopuritans can't see beyond her figure and we now how the Big Bussines honchos react to Twitter polemics. They please. So, a movie about this character would be received with its stack of SM polemics and CBR articles talking about how is time to retire Power Girl from comics.

If anything, Power Girl could serve a s background character or as a guest star in some series. In Supergirl would had been ideal (just one appearance, but it would had made people conciouss about the character exists), but I don't think the Supergirl creative team would had been comfortable with this character and probably she would had been reduced to a joke. Maybe in Superman & Lois, she could have a chance, specially if Supergirl is absent (who knows, maybe if Benoist is not available, an alternate universe analog could use her spot); Maybe in the Harley Quinn series she could have a chance, where her origin is touched briefly or even could have a more continued presence. But beyond that, other options, and specially a movie, are more difficult to reach.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

From a movie point of view, whether or not you use the concept of Earth 2, PG doesn't have to depend on any other character, and certainly not SG. You need not mention SG, though perhaps at least an off-hand mention of SM would be in order, but not more than that. She would simply be like GoTG; an unknown character depending on good execution, as really any movie is. Remember that all they should try to accomplish with a Power Girl movie is a good Power Girl movie, not a set-up to the multiverse, Supergirl, or anything or anyone else.

From a movie point of view, whether or not you use the concept of Earth 2, PG doesn't have to depend on any other character, and certainly not SG. You need not mention SG, though perhaps at least an off-hand mention of SM would be in order, but not more than that. She would simply be like GoTG; an unknown character depending on good execution, as really any movie is. Remember that all they should try to accomplish with a Power Girl movie is a good Power Girl movie, not a set-up to the multiverse, Supergirl, or anything or anyone else.
    Yeah, but GotG is lightning in a bottle. It's like landing triple cherries seven times in a row on July 7th, 1977. It's an exception. I'll also add it took extreme liberties with its source material and has now changed the source material to reflect the more successful movie.

I do not want that happening with Karen.

Converting Peege to movie is definitely going to NOT be true to her comics self if it is standalone and apart from a verse where there is a Supergirl.

I think the bottom line for me is the character must be scrappy, confident, and body positive as well as as donning the classic costume