Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Should they make a Power Girl movie?

I'm not too familiar with Power Girl, aside from her obvious frontal physical attribute, how is she different from Supergirl?

Is there any particular actress that would do well to play the part. In the context of the Man of Steel/Justice League continuity, where would power girl come from?

She traditionally is more of a maverick than Supergirl and has temper issues.

The focus of what I've read has been more on her super identity to the point that, without cheating and doing a search, I'll be darned if I remember what she does for a living in her secret identity.
    Power with Girl is better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

No, I have no faith in DC with PG and she doesn't have an easily adaptable storyline. She'd be PG in name only and it would be someone else's script retooled to generally fit Power Girl.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No, I have no faith in DC with PG and she doesn't have an easily adaptable storyline. She'd be PG in name only and it would be someone else's script retooled to generally fit Power Girl.
    Maybe so, but many things are better than...the nothing at all we have now. And if she doesn't make a splash in other media; she's doomed with ATT in charge now.

She is actually quite different from SG, and could make a much better movie than SG simply because SG carries with her expectations for a certain thing, but PG is comparitively a tabula rasa, and a clever screenwritter could do a lot with her while respecting her character.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

No. She's not a well known character to the general public and might be a hard sell. If they are going to do her in live action, I prefer she show up in Stargirl. A show set aside for the JSA and already uses versions of characters that the general public might not be all that familiar with.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Maybe so, but many things are better than...the nothing at all we have now. And if she doesn't make a splash in other media; she's doomed with ATT in charge now.

She is actually quite different from SG, and could make a much better movie than SG simply because SG carries with her expectations for a certain thing, but PG is comparitively a tabula rasa, and a clever screenwritter could do a lot with her while respecting her character.
    The Catwoman movie alone proves that something isn't inherently better than nothing, and PG can't survive a **** movie the way Selina could. It would probably bury her ever getting her own thing again. Yes, I know she's different from SG, I've been one of the regulars in her thread since we've had one from even the old boards... And frankly, she's got a more defined character than Supergirl who changes every few years. You have it backwards, and no "clever screenwriter" is going to take a character with no definitive story of her own and respect her so much as think "well I can just make it up as I go." Superman and Batman get a lot of their stuff made up by the directors who just pull ideas from books without adapting anything.

PG is a complicated character and one I don't trust Hollywood with. She's one of my favorites, but they'd absolutely ruin her.

It's very, very easy for people to get the character wrong because she doesn't translate if you're a lazy screenwriter. Ah, she has big boobs-- she must be seductive. Nope! She just is body positive as hell. She's critical of dudes and a feminist, she's bi or gay! Nope, she just doesn't suffer fools and everyone (in universe and out) focuses so much on her boobs she just doesn't respect them when they do. She's just alternate Supergirl! Nope, she refused to be Super-anything because she wants to be her own woman and putting the El crest on her is erasing her identity. She's an angry bitch! Nope, she's sassy but a genuinely decent person, but again, she doesn't suffer fools so if you treat her poorly she puts you in your place.

But that's not how she'd get written. I promise you they'll just morph her into whatever they feel fits the story they want to tell because the general audience only knows PG from cosplay. If you think PG is going to be adapted faithfully, Cassandra Cain would like a word with you.

As of right now, I'm fine with her being in the comics only. The last two times she got adapted was as an evil clone of Supergirl (Galatea) and a big breast joke for the child Toyman to lust over and distract with her breasts. Yeah, no thanks. Characters that obscure can get overwritten by big budget adaptions, so they may well butcher her and then that's AT&T's Power Girl from then on. I'd rather stick with the Karen we have now who appears with the JSA and sometimes in Super books than let Hollywood ruin her.

Cassandra Cain had more to work with and provided a key demographic they don't have enough representation in (an Asian woman with a disability) and they didn't give a ****. Why would they get PG right? Hardest of passes.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-04-2021 at 08:52 PM.

Spectacular Member

One possibility, powergirl comes from a different reality, in the movie Batman vs Superman, batman got a message from the future delivered by the Flash, could he possibly have made other trips into the past? Apparently that future involved a Superman turned evil by Darkseid. There was a prequel comic book about a Kara in the past, if the flash knew about her, he could perhaps send her a message too as well as one to Bruce Wayne, this version of Kara was captain of a starship, a starship which was a significant part of the plot in three movies. So if the Flash can travel to the past, could not power girl or supergirl travel to the future? If you do anything that alters the past, you might end up with a duplicate, so you bring Kara forward in time and another Kara shows up, maybe a more recent Kara, one of those Kara's is Powergirl the other one Supergirl.

I think a Power Girl animated series would work better.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think a Power Girl animated series would work better.
    How animated? You can have hand drawn, and computer animated. You can run the gamut between child like drawings to hyper-realistic computer animations. How about something to the degree of the Incredibles, would that work? I'm not saying the should use the pseudo-1960s setting that the Incredibles is based in, but they could use that degree of animation, basically the same as Frozen if you want another reference. The advantage of animation is you don't need stunts, you also don't have actors acting in front of green screens or with standing for later added CGI characters. You can do places that don't exist such as Metropolis and Gotham City and have your characters mess the place up and so forth. I lean towards 3d computer animation rather than the choppy hand drawn stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The Catwoman movie alone proves that something isn't inherently better than nothing, and PG can't survive a **** movie the way Selina could.
    Plus that wasn't Selina. And notably, we haven't had a solo Catwoman movie since.

It's very, very easy for people to get the character wrong because she doesn't translate if you're a lazy screenwriter. Ah, she has big boobs-- she must be seductive. Nope! She just is body positive as hell. She's critical of dudes and a feminist, she's bi or gay! Nope, she just doesn't suffer fools and everyone (in universe and out) focuses so much on her boobs she just doesn't respect them when they do. She's just alternate Supergirl! Nope, she refused to be Super-anything because she wants to be her own woman and putting the El crest on her is erasing her identity. She's an angry bitch! Nope, she's sassy but a genuinely decent person, but again, she doesn't suffer fools so if you treat her poorly she puts you in your place.
    I agree with most of what you say but I don't think Karen being gay or bisexual will be inherently bad. It just depends on how it is handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    How animated? You can have hand drawn, and computer animated. You can run the gamut between child like drawings to hyper-realistic computer animations. How about something to the degree of the Incredibles, would that work? I'm not saying the should use the pseudo-1960s setting that the Incredibles is based in, but they could use that degree of animation, basically the same as Frozen if you want another reference. The advantage of animation is you don't need stunts, you also don't have actors acting in front of green screens or with standing for later added CGI characters. You can do places that don't exist such as Metropolis and Gotham City and have your characters mess the place up and so forth. I lean towards 3d computer animation rather than the choppy hand drawn stuff.
    I'm not sure any one particular style would be better than the other. I just think she can work well in animation.

Spectacular Member

Plus that wasn't Selina. And notably, we haven't had a solo Catwoman movie since.

I agree with most of what you say but I don't think Karen being gay or bisexual will be inherently bad. It just depends on how it is handled.

I'm not sure any one particular style would be better than the other. I just think she can work well in animation.
    if you make her gay, you will lose half your audience. Most men don't want to watch a "women are better than men" movie. It will be a nitch film, not for general audiences.
    I like a relatable character, not another "man vs woman" movie.

if you make her gay, you will lose half your audience. Most men don't want to watch a "women are better than men" movie. It will be a nitch film, not for general audiences.
    I like a relatable character, not another "man vs woman" movie.
    A gay Power Girl isn't men vs women.

I'm not even saying I want her to be gay but if she were, it wouldn't mean it's men vs women.

Spectacular Member

A gay Power Girl isn't men vs women.

I'm not even saying I want her to be gay but if she were, it wouldn't mean it's men vs women.
    Then why change her sexual orientation? Having significant male characters who are not villains or antagonists helps make Power girl more relatable to a male audience, making her gay sends out the message that the movie is for women only, and that the men in the movie are just going to be obstacles for powergirl to overcome.

I don't think Powergirl has many obstacles to overcome out of being a woman. She has Superman's powers, if someone is foolish enough to sexually harass her, he will end up getting some fingers broken, and be not likely to try that again.

Then why change her sexual orientation? Having significant male characters who are not villains or antagonists helps make Power girl more relatable to a male audience, making her gay sends out the message that the movie is for women only, and that the men in the movie are just going to be obstacles for powergirl to overcome.

I don't think Powergirl has many obstacles to overcome out of being a woman. She has Superman's powers, if someone is foolish enough to sexually harass her, he will end up getting some fingers broken, and be not likely to try that again.
    Wtf are you talking about. Gay women have male friends, both straight males and gay males. I have no idea why you think they live in separate worlds.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wtf are you talking about. Gay women have male friends, both straight males and gay males. I have no idea why you think they live in separate worlds.
    Yes they do, but the public perception is that its going to be a woman's movie because they took a character that was previously straight and made her gay. Men are going to think there was a reason that was done, and the reason is going to assumed to be that men are not wanted or needed, that would be the assumed message of the movie, and most men are not going to want to watch a strictly girl power movie, they might want to watch a movie about a superhero that was a woman, but if they feel they are going to get a "women don't need men" message, they will likely watch something else.