Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    But not everyone who goes to see movies knows about Power Girl, just us, readers. Without something in her story to make her stand apart, she is just a Supergirl clone. What it makes her different from other superheroines (and I'm not talking about her boobs, please). What kind of motivations does she have? Why does she what she does? Which obstacles has she to overcome? What she have to learn?

For example: Supergirl, in her series started with a simple but very direct motivation: she was send to earth with a mission, to take care of his cousin. But when she arrived, she discovered her mission was no more and she spend her life hidding, trying to fit in and lacking an objetive. The story starts when she decides to asume a new mission in life, exposing herself to the world.

Taking this as reference, which path should PG go?
    I can't answer that because there are so many paths PG could take in a movie. That actually is one of her principle advantages over SG; she's much less well defined than SG, who would carry the weight of expectations from bother her own stuff like the SG TV series, and of relating to Superman. You could do nearly anything with PG, so long as you keep her a hero, much like Marvel had the ability to do anything they wanted with a character like Starlord for example in that first GoTG movie. You could go a light comic route for PG, like GoTG, you could take her on a Star Wars type adventure, maybe fighting Brainiac or someone like that. You could put her in an alien noir type movie. Maybe you skip directly to Earth, or Earth 2 depending on what you want to do, and the bulk of the movie takes place there. Maybe she's some sort of Kryptonian astronaut or explorer who got lost or trapped elsewhere when Krypton did the big sparkler thing. And again, SG herself isn't a topic that needs to be addressed in a PG movie; merely define PG clearly, and differently than SG, without ever mentioning her.

You would of course use whatever you decide her origin looks like, what job she does or wants to do, what her skill set is....all that and more to define how she responds and acts in every situation. Whichever, a key is to not Reyify her, and give her the flaws she's always had---I hate perfect characters who never struggle because they're so powerful, virtuous, smart, good at everything. None of that with Power Girl---a huge part of her appeal is her relatability, which in part stems from her flaws.
    Last edited by achilles; 02-01-2021 at 04:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    To justify a feature film when she has no supporting cast, setting, villains or really an independent slice of the DCU that doesn't rely on others heroes for context? Sadly, she does need to beg in that case. I love Karen, she's one of my favorite characters, but there's no real reason to give her a film right now.
    I would assume that a Power Girl movie would give her a supporting cast, setting, and a villain or two. That is after all sort of the point of a movie. And really, Starlord was completely undefined for the general public before his movie. Blade as well in his movies. Mostly any character, new or otherwise, who isn't super well known to the public. A PG movie could give the character a push in the comic book realm as well, so there's a big point in a PG movie, even now, though the economic reality suggests she won't get a movie destined for the big screen.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I would assume that a Power Girl movie would give her a supporting cast, setting, and a villain or two. That is after all sort of the point of a movie. And really, Starlord was completely undefined for the general public before his movie. Blade as well in his movies. Mostly any character, new or otherwise, who isn't super well known to the public. A PG movie could give the character a push in the comic book realm as well, so there's a big point in a PG movie, even now, though the economic reality suggests she won't get a movie destined for the big screen.
    Again, that Starlord is an oc that has since overwritten the character he is based on. I don't want that happening to Karen.

Moreover, that's an ensemble movie. Karen as a key player in JSA sounds more plausible than on her own when we're talking about a feature film.

You know me, I adore Karen, but I don't see a world where Hollywood doesn't just mangle her and it gets reflected in the comics. Even Aquaman is looking to change based on Momoa, which was a wildly different character than Arthur is traditionally characterized as. PG would be held less sacred and I don't want some script writer who will be trying to "fix" her responsible for defining her from that point on.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-01-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Again, that Starlord is an oc that has since overwritten the character he is based on. I don't want that happening to Karen.

Moreover, that's an ensemble movie. Karen as a key player in JSA sounds more plausible than on her own when we're talking about a feature film.

You know me, I adore Karen, but I don't see a world where Hollywood doesn't just mangle her and it gets reflected in the comics. Even Aquaman is looking to change based on Momoa, which was a wildly different character than Arthur is traditionally characterized as. PG would be held less sacred and I don't want some script writer who will be trying to "fix" her responsible for defining her from that point on.
    Indeed, a movie would be the worst thing than could happen to the comics character (how time changes our perspective of things). A movie writer would be writing a character freely based in PG which would be the mold to rewrite Karen in the books. It happened before and it would be, certainly, the most probable thing would happen. If even in the animations haven't nailed her, without dissassociate from Supergirl, a movie couldn't do it. It would be Powergirl just in name, to keep a trademark. And a totally turn off to any fan of the character.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Indeed, a movie would be the worst thing than could happen to the comics character (how time changes our perspective of things). A movie writer would be writing a character freely based in PG which would be the mold to rewrite Karen in the books. It happened before and it would be, certainly, the most probable thing would happen. If even in the animations haven't nailed her, without dissassociate from Supergirl, a movie couldn't do it. It would be Powergirl just in name, to keep a trademark. And a totally turn off to any fan of the character.
    Steel sends its regards. Sometimes the movie does nothing to the books, but I don't think that's the world we live in anymore. The movie PG would just become default PG. She's not big enough nor does she have any champions working at DC to protect her from executive interference.

Adaptions are not a good prospect for Karen.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-01-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I must admit I'm also a bit worried about how DC handles her, but that's also a concern for the character in comics as well in other media. Johns and Levitz in the nu 52 got her totally wrong without needing a bad movie to hurt the character. At some point, you just have to bit the bullet and hope they do right by her. As opposed to hoping they leave her alone until they're ready to do right by her. But that could be never, ten years from now, or tomorrow, there's just no way of knowing. I would prefer to take a gamble and have something that might revive the character. Yeah, that's hoping for a lot; that they understand what makes the character work...but it's worth a little risk IMO.

Yes, Starlord is part of an ensemble movie, but he was just an example, albeit not a perfect one. PG is a minor character, but not as minor as he was, with some fairly obvious important character traits, (only Johns and curiously Levitz got her completely wrong), so I think there is less chance that someone would completely mess it up. Plus, I can think of a number of different ways to actually use other DC characters with her as supporting cast, and obviously so can they, if that's desired.

My bottom line is that it's fairly easy to do a good PG movie...in theory. In practice, you need the same things every other good movie needs, a great script, director, and actors. Admittedly, compared to Marvel, WB has done a worse job in all of those, but that could change. Ditching Snyder was a good first step. Maybe a PG movie, whether in theatres or streaming or both could be that surprise hit WB needs with it's DC properties.
    Last edited by achilles; 02-01-2021 at 03:09 PM.