Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 201
  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Yes they do, but the public perception is that its going to be a woman's movie because they took a character that was previously straight and made her gay. Men are going to think there was a reason that was done, and the reason is going to assumed to be that men are not wanted or needed, that would be the assumed message of the movie, and most men are not going to want to watch a strictly girl power movie, they might want to watch a movie about a superhero that was a woman, but if they feel they are going to get a "women don't need men" message, they will likely watch something else.
    Also, may I point out that making a previously straight character gay is no longer revolutionary, and probably never was advisable, save in rare circumstances. Especially when it's easy to simply create another character with any characteristics you want.

    Back to the main question though, PG would be well suited to a movie because as I said she's considerably less defined as a character than say SG, and thus easier to fit into any sort of story the writer desires. She'd work in a straight superhero movie, a sci-fi movie, a horror movie that subverts expectations again, as did Buffy, (fitting perhaps as Buffy was one of the only shows that ever mentioned Power Girl, with 'Lil Buffy playing at being her), a light action or sci-fi comedy, heavy drama, even in a fantasy setting, or any combination of the preceding. Whereas Supergirl is trapped by what audiences would expect from a movie starring her. She's trapped by Benoist and before her all the animated versions and by Helen Slater's version. Most audiences would have no idea who PG is, or what to expect from her, beyond whatever marketing would tell them about her.

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Also, may I point out that making a previously straight character gay is no longer revolutionary, and probably never was advisable, save in rare circumstances. Especially when it's easy to simply create another character with any characteristics you want.

    Back to the main question though, PG would be well suited to a movie because as I said she's considerably less defined as a character than say SG, and thus easier to fit into any sort of story the writer desires. She'd work in a straight superhero movie, a sci-fi movie, a horror movie that subverts expectations again, as did Buffy, (fitting perhaps as Buffy was one of the only shows that ever mentioned Power Girl, with 'Lil Buffy playing at being her), a light action or sci-fi comedy, heavy drama, even in a fantasy setting, or any combination of the preceding. Whereas Supergirl is trapped by what audiences would expect from a movie starring her. She's trapped by Benoist and before her all the animated versions and by Helen Slater's version. Most audiences would have no idea who PG is, or what to expect from her, beyond whatever marketing would tell them about her.
    yeah I agree, if they change something fundamental about the character, they will lose a portion of the fan base that is familiar with the old character.

    The Benoist Supergirl is just one version of Supergirl, I am also familiar with the Helen Slater Supergirl who is quite different, I like the Laura Vendervoort Supergirl as well, she is a bit edgier, but I also think she is a more realistic take on the character. The Helen Slater Supergirl's origins were a bit baffling and not well explained in the movie. Another question is how does she know so much about Clark Kent, I don't think anyone in Argo City has a subscription to the Daily Planet. There is no evidence that Clark Kent knows anything about her, yet he is apparently paying for her tuition at Midvale School for girls without even knowing about it.

    Other than these plot inconsistencies, I like the Helen Slater Supergirl quite a bit, she is sweet and quite naive at times. She had that little incident with the two truck drivers without brains that decided they wanted to harass or molest Supergirl for no good reason other than being stupid, Supergirl gave them plenty of chances to walk away and asked them why they were doing it before clobbering them. Seems like they should have known they were dealing with a relative of Superman, and I don't know what other outcome they were expecting.

    I kind of like the character of Helen Slater's Supergirl, despite the movie's plot inconsistencies, she is very sweet, and it seems to me that she wants to exhaust other options before fighting. If someone is behaving inappropriate to her, she gives them plenty of warning before going "Super" on them.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-05-2021 at 08:35 AM.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    yeah I agree, if they change something fundamental about the character, they will lose a portion of the fan base that is familiar with the old character.

    The Benoist Supergirl is just one version of Supergirl, I am also familiar with the Helen Slater Supergirl who is quite different, I like the Laura Vendervoort Supergirl as well, she is a bit edgier, but I also think she is a more realistic take on the character. The Helen Slater Supergirl's origins were a bit baffling and not well explained in the movie. Another question is how does she know so much about Clark Kent, I don't think anyone in Argo City has a subscription to the Daily Planet. There is no evidence that Clark Kent knows anything about her, yet he is apparently paying for her tuition at Midvale School for girls without even knowing about it.

    Other than these plot inconsistencies, I like the Helen Slater Supergirl quite a bit, she is sweet and quite naive at times. She had that little incident with the two truck drivers without brains that decided they wanted to harass or molest Supergirl for no good reason other than being stupid, Supergirl gave them plenty of chances to walk away and asked them why they were doing it before clobbering them. Seems like they should have known they were dealing with a relative of Superman, and I don't know what other outcome they were expecting.

    I kind of like the character of Helen Slater's Supergirl, despite the movie's plot inconsistencies, she is very sweet, and it seems to me that she wants to exhaust other options before fighting. If someone is behaving inappropriate to her, she gives them plenty of warning before going "Super" on them.
    For me as well, the best part of that movie was Helen. Terrible writing aside, she brought the SG I liked best to life. There was that sweetness to her character that made her very appealing, and I confess I liked the scene where she discovers and takes real joy in her newfound powers; something I wish they'd show Superman and the rest doing. Even if they're old hat to Superman or Power Girl, you can't tell me that flying under your own power isn't a joyful thing. Yeah, the FX for that movie were...primitive at best, but it still managed to convey that joy.

  4. #19
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Yes they do, but the public perception is that its going to be a woman's movie because they took a character that was previously straight and made her gay. Men are going to think there was a reason that was done, and the reason is going to assumed to be that men are not wanted or needed, that would be the assumed message of the movie, and most men are not going to want to watch a strictly girl power movie, they might want to watch a movie about a superhero that was a woman, but if they feel they are going to get a "women don't need men" message, they will likely watch something else.
    Most people don't know anything about Power Girl. They wouldn't even know if she is straight, gay or bi. And if any man assumes that a movie starring a gay woman is toxic than they really have some issues of their own to solve. It's their problem, not anybody else's and it has nothing to do with the film itself. And they probably wouldn't watch Power Girl any way

  5. #20
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    HAHAHAHAHAH. You guys are worried that if they make Power Girl bisexual then they will lose the fans of hte character? The character barely has any following at all to lose. And the people that bought her last comic with Harley Quinn probably wouldn't mind if she was bisexual.

    Does Power Girl even have any particular love interest? I haven't read much of her but none of it had her having a special person she loved or was attracted to. Makes absolutely no difference if she is gay straight or bisexual.

  6. #21
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Oh yeah I remember her hooking up with Mr Terrific in her original new 52 series. But I don't think it was even a relationship, and it certainly wasn't an emotional bond. It's a really superficial and insignificant thing

  7. #22
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Most people don't know anything about Power Girl. They wouldn't even know if she is straight, gay or bi. And if any man assumes that a movie starring a gay woman is toxic than they really have some issues of their own to solve. It's their problem, not anybody else's and it has nothing to do with the film itself. And they probably wouldn't watch Power Girl any way
    That is up to them, but I shouldn't feel obligated to watch a movie starring a gay character just so that somebody won't call me a bigot or a homophobe. I am not gay myself, I am not interested in gay things or gay people, I am attracted to women, that is just my biological makeup, I find pretty women to be attractive, and I see no reason to apologize for that, that is how babies are made and how the human race perpetuates itself, I was born that way and it is not a matter of choice or preference. A movie starring a gay character is going to have a smaller audience because people like me aren't interested in watching it.

    I have nothing against gay people, I don't bully them, I don't harass them, but I am not interested in their gay relationships, a romance between a man and a woman is of more interest to me because I can identify with one of the characters, a romance between two gay men is of no interest to me. I know a lesbian, but I have no interest in her. I work with her and we get along fine, but I am not going to sit in a movie theater and watch a movie with her about a gay character in a relationship with another gay character, her interests and my interests diverge and I have nothing to apologize to her about for not sharing her interest in that. She may watch a movie about a gay powergirl, but I wouldn't, it's just that simple.

  8. #23
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAH. You guys are worried that if they make Power Girl bisexual then they will lose the fans of hte character? The character barely has any following at all to lose. And the people that bought her last comic with Harley Quinn probably wouldn't mind if she was bisexual.

    Does Power Girl even have any particular love interest? I haven't read much of her but none of it had her having a special person she loved or was attracted to. Makes absolutely no difference if she is gay straight or bisexual.
    It would make her more interesting to me if she was straight, and probably less interesting to a gay person. Having a relationship you can relate to makes her more interesting that an asexual character that just dukes it out with the bad guys.

  9. #24
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    It would make her more interesting to me if she was straight, and probably less interesting to a gay person. Having a relationship you can relate to makes her more interesting that an asexual character that just dukes it out with the bad guys.
    Romantic relationships haven't been an important part of her stories. SO that's you wanting to add something to the character, not me trying to change it. And I didn't say you were forced to watch a movie with a gay main character, but I don't understand what you mean when you say "gay things".

    There is such a thing as gay culture, but lots of gay people aren't interested in that type of culture. There are black people who don't like rap. There are white people that don't like country music. Even if Power Girl was gay there's no reason for her to go watch drag queen performances or wear the gay pride flag everywhere. I find this whole argument very strange.

    In any case, like I said, Power Girl barely has any following and her being gay or straight in the end wouldn't affect her box office. I mean she is a heavy breasted woman that has a hole in the middle of her chest which reveals plenty of unnecessary cleavage. I doubt parents will wanna take their kids to watch her movie.

  10. #25
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Most straight dudes wouldn't mind watching a movie where a heavy breasted woman with cleavage kissed another woman. A lot of gay people might wanna support a movie starring a gay woman. That said, I definitely don't want think there's any reason for her sexuality to be a big part of the story. It never has been.

  11. #26
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Most straight dudes wouldn't mind watching a movie where a heavy breasted woman with cleavage kissed another woman. A lot of gay people might wanna support a movie starring a gay woman. That said, I definitely don't want think there's any reason for her sexuality to be a big part of the story. It never has been.
    To be clear, there has to be another reason to watch a movie other than not minding a gay relationship. Star Trek: Discovery had a gay relationship in it, but there had to be other reasons to watch it.

  12. #27
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Romantic relationships haven't been an important part of her stories. SO that's you wanting to add something to the character, not me trying to change it. And I didn't say you were forced to watch a movie with a gay main character, but I don't understand what you mean when you say "gay things".

    There is such a thing as gay culture, but lots of gay people aren't interested in that type of culture. There are black people who don't like rap. There are white people that don't like country music. Even if Power Girl was gay there's no reason for her to go watch drag queen performances or wear the gay pride flag everywhere. I find this whole argument very strange.

    In any case, like I said, Power Girl barely has any following and her being gay or straight in the end wouldn't affect her box office. I mean she is a heavy breasted woman that has a hole in the middle of her chest which reveals plenty of unnecessary cleavage. I doubt parents will wanna take their kids to watch her movie.
    No worse than a girl in a bikini on a beach. Breasts are an attractive feature in a woman that draws the male eye, there is no shame in a man being attracted to a woman, but I think it is crucial to not give her unwanted attention. But if I see a beautiful woman and I'm attracted to her, I am not going to deny that. I am not going to pretend I am not attracted to such things when I am. Even if I don't intend to pursue a relationship, I can still be attracted to her and do nothing.

    One thing to mention, Powergirl has superhearing just like Supergirl, she can hear men's heart beats from a distance, she can tell which men are attracted to her, those men don't have to come out and tell her, she knows. If they are nice to her she may respond in kind, if they are letches, they will get what's coming to them. My understanding is Powergirl tends to be surrounded by letches that don't have any brains and try their pickup lines on her expecting them to work, and if they get a little too fresh, she might break a few fingers if they ended up in the wrong places.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-05-2021 at 03:56 PM.

  13. #28
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    To be clear, there has to be another reason to watch a movie other than not minding a gay relationship. Star Trek: Discovery had a gay relationship in it, but there had to be other reasons to watch it.
    Wtf, did I say a Power Girl movie had to be about her sexuality? Why the hell are you talking about how there's nothing wrong with admiring breasts? There's also nothing wrong with admiring male asses and giant buldges, but why the hell does it matter?

    Why do you even want a movie about Power Girl? What do you like about her? Because I don't understand why her sexual orientation matters

  14. #29
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,152

    Default

    Well I'm of two minds about a PG film.

    On the one hand, hell yes I want a movie. Karen is powerful (and I don't mean super powers), has tons of pathos as well as a fun personality (a semi-rare occurrence!), a rich and engaging origin story.....a PG film "could" be phenomenal. There's solid stuff in her solo to draw from, she's got connections to several other big IP's, and the fact that most people have never heard of her means absolutely nothing; if Z-listers like the Guardians of the Galaxy can become huge hits, then clearly we're past the point where having a recognition factor is important.

    But on the other hand....have you seen DC movies? They're awful. The only times a DC movie is worth watching is if the studio wrote the movie off from the start and ignored it completely (like the first Wonder Woman), or got someone with enough cred to do what they want who also had a good handle on what they were doing (Wan on Aquaman) or through sheer dumb luck (Shazam). And even the "good" DC movies aren't exactly great cinema; Shazam and Aquaman would be considered "decent" by MCU standards, at best (and the MCU isn't exactly high art either).

    So sure, I'd *love* to see a PG movie....but I'm not interested in paying $30 bucks so I can sit for two hours and watch the company that owns the character butcher the entire thing.

    And....how did y'all even get one the LBGT discussion? That's a weird ass tangent to find yourselves on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  15. #30
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    No. One they haven't even gotten the main man himself right? What makes you think they should even touch PG? Two her convoluted backstory

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •