Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 201
  1. #31
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    No. One they haven't even gotten the main man himself right? What makes you think they should even touch PG? Two her convoluted backstory
    They've been bringing in better directors as of late for their more minor films, so perhaps PG could land a good director, and a good writer.

  2. #32
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ah, she has big boobs-- she must be seductive. Nope! She just is body positive as hell. She's critical of dudes and a feminist, she's bi or gay! Nope, she just doesn't suffer fools and everyone (in universe and out) focuses so much on her boobs she just doesn't respect them when they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree with most of what you say but I don't think Karen being gay or bisexual will be inherently bad. It just depends on how it is handled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    if you make her gay, you will lose half your audience. Most men don't want to watch a "women are better than men" movie. It will be a nitch film, not for general audiences.
    I like a relatable character, not another "man vs woman" movie.
    This is how it started. I got involved because I found the whole reaction to her sexuality really weird. As if her being bisexual is impossible, or even that her sexuality was a big part of the character, when neither of these things are true.

  3. #33
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And....how did y'all even get one the LBGT discussion? That's a weird ass tangent to find yourselves on.
    I made the mistake of including it as something that I assume would be read into by a film's writer because PG is a feminist who has the longest relationship (her friendship with Helena) as a woman. It was one of many examples of "conclusions lazy writers would jump to when given the cliff notes" because a lot of PG's problem is people just take one look at her and say "I think I've got this. Supergirl with big boobs that hates dudes."

    I regret bringing it up. It wasn't so much "bi PG will RUIN her" so much as writers tend to be lazy when adapting, so they'll take the face of the idea "she's a feminist who is annoyed when men objectify her, that means she's gay," or as I also mentioned "she's got big boobs and the window so she's a TnA character and probably gets around because she's there to turn you on" when really she's just a body positive person. Most people's takes on PG come from looking at her for two panels and thinking "okay, I've got this" and you can tell they never read anything she's in.

    PG in particular I don't think is bi or gay. I feel pretty strongly about that and I'd be glad to continue that conversation in her thread, but that wasn't the discussion I was trying to have. Just that she's a more complex character than she ever gets credit for and my experience with the niche characters is they essentially become husks for the writers of adaptions to just fill with an OC. Again, Cassandra Cain comes to mind. Naturally, everyone got hung up on it. I deeply apologize for steering the conversation that way. Tom's comments on losing half the audience are pretty weird and I'm not going to cosign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAH. You guys are worried that if they make Power Girl bisexual then they will lose the fans of hte character? The character barely has any following at all to lose. And the people that bought her last comic with Harley Quinn probably wouldn't mind if she was bisexual.

    Does Power Girl even have any particular love interest? I haven't read much of her but none of it had her having a special person she loved or was attracted to. Makes absolutely no difference if she is gay straight or bisexual.
    I don't think it'd really impact her popularity significantly, but the people who want her to hook up with Harley are the worst. Not because they're both women, because Harley non-stop sexually harasses PG and giving in to that is not okay. She's had a few love interests for short-term but not many long-term. She has lots of flings (Hal Jordan, Carter Hall, Michael Holt and Val-Zod) and has shown attraction to others (... Superman when they weren't related, Aquaman, and I could swear Jimmy and Amanda were setting her up with Doc Mid-Nite but never got around to it), but Karen is content being single and just living her life with her cat. I think a lot of people want her to develop an interest with women because they themselves find it attractive or because she has a few significant friendships with women (Helena Wayne being the most notable as her best friend/surrogate sister in the olde world and Atlee as a protege in the new) or someone she tolerates as a frienemy (Harley).

    She even had a kid for a minute. The less said about that time the better. But PG does have a history of dance partners, so to speak.

    But seriously, Harley is the worst. She's all the toxic "hehehe she has big boobs" jokes and I don't want to reward that shit. It's sexual harassment when male characters do it and being a kooky clown lady doesn't make it better.


    Bringing the conversation back around to a film: there's just no real plotline to adapt that doesn't require lots of other DC IP and they'd likely steal the show from her (like Harley did the Birds of Prey). If you do her origin, you still need Superman, CoIE and the JSA. It's just so much to buy into.

    PG is a great character but she would only really work in an adaption of the JSA or something to that effect. There's just not enough material to stick to that wouldn't end up being some story they made up and winged 95% of like Catwoman.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-05-2021 at 08:15 PM.

  4. #34
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I made the mistake of including it as something that I assume would be read into by a film's writer because PG is a feminist who has the longest relationship (her friendship with Helena) as a woman. It was one of many examples of "conclusions lazy writers would jump to when given the cliff notes" because a lot of PG's problem is people just take one look at her and say "I think I've got this. Supergirl with big boobs that hates dudes."

    I regret bringing it up. It wasn't so much "bi PG will RUIN her" so much as writers tend to be lazy when adapting, so they'll take the face of the idea "she's a feminist who is annoyed when men objectify her, that means she's gay," or as I also mentioned "she's got big boobs and the window so she's a TnA character and probably gets around because she's there to turn you on" when really she's just a body positive person. Most people's takes on PG come from looking at her for two panels and thinking "okay, I've got this" and you can tell they never read anything she's in.

    PG in particular I don't think is bi or gay. I feel pretty strongly about that and I'd be glad to continue that conversation in her thread, but that wasn't the discussion I was trying to have. Just that she's a more complex character than she ever gets credit for and my experience with the niche characters is they essentially become husks for the writers of adaptions to just fill with an OC. Again, Cassandra Cain comes to mind. Naturally, everyone got hung up on it. I deeply apologize for steering the conversation that way. Tom's comments on losing half the audience are pretty weird and I'm not going to cosign.



    I don't think it'd really impact her popularity significantly, but the people who want her to hook up with Harley are the worst. Not because they're both women, because Harley non-stop sexually harasses PG and giving in to that is not okay. She's had a few love interests for short-term but not many long-term. She has lots of flings (Hal Jordan, Carter Hall, Michael Holt and Val-Zod) and has shown attraction to others (... Superman when they weren't related, Aquaman, and I could swear Jimmy and Amanda were setting her up with Doc Mid-Nite but never got around to it), but Karen is content being single and just living her life with her cat. I think a lot of people want her to develop an interest with women because they themselves find it attractive or because she has a few significant friendships with women (Helena Wayne being the most notable as her best friend/surrogate sister in the olde world and Atlee as a protege in the new) or someone she tolerates as a frienemy (Harley).

    She even had a kid for a minute. The less said about that time the better. But PG does have a history of dance partners, so to speak.

    But seriously, Harley is the worst. She's all the toxic "hehehe she has big boobs" jokes and I don't want to reward that shit. It's sexual harassment when male characters do it and being a kooky clown lady doesn't make it better.


    Bringing the conversation back around to a film: there's just no real plotline to adapt that doesn't require lots of other DC IP and they'd likely steal the show from her (like Harley did the Birds of Prey). If you do her origin, you still need Superman, CoIE and the JSA. It's just so much to buy into.

    PG is a great character but she would only really work in an adaption of the JSA or something to that effect. There's just not enough material to stick to that wouldn't end up being some story they made up and winged 95% of like Catwoman.
    I didn't take anything you said to be insensitive. I was just showing the progression of the conversation. You definitely didn't say anything wrong. I wasn't saying that I wanted her and Harley to have a relationship (I absolutely don't). I was just showing that the most recent fanbase probably would like her being bisexual. Honestly, I don't see her having a romantic interest if she ever gets a movie.

    Honestly, I don't see any particular niche that her solo movie would fill. With all the different projects being discussed, she ends up not bringing anything significant to the universe im terms of story or style, at least as far as I can see. Same reason why a Supergirl film probably isn't anywhere in the horizon, or a Nightwing film, or a Huntress film.

  5. #35
    Incredible Member SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    750

    Default

    They already set her up to be a reality by making the kryptonian woman that was from long ago her. Say she went thru a multiverse pocket and landed in our universe, which is gonna be a big thing in the flash movie, so it'll work. Then have a much younger Supergirl from this universe show up. So you get a older karen and a younger Kara, simple.
    Where is my damn Tactile Telekinesis?
    - Conner Kent /kon-el

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    They've been bringing in better directors as of late for their more minor films, so perhaps PG could land a good director, and a good writer.
    Again...WB hasn't gotten Superman right. There is no way I want them to touch Power Girl until then because her origin is connected to Superman.

  7. #37
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Again...WB hasn't gotten Superman right. There is no way I want them to touch Power Girl until then because her origin is connected to Superman.
    All anyone needs to know about Superman in order to "get" Power Girl is the Superman basic story that hasn't really changed in decades, and that nearly everyone in the modern world knows, and that he is her cousin. Beyond that, I would expect any Power Girl movie would be more about...Power Girl than Superman. In point of fact, a bare minimum mention of him is all a potential PG movie even needs, and that more as a sop to WB's marketing department than any real narrative need. The mere fact that Superman is her cousin almost never makes its way into her own stories. It was more a thing to give her instant credibility, and elevates her in a certain way about a generic, no-name Kryptonian, but that's about it. Her connection to Superman has never really been exploited.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    I don't think that's a good idea.youliterally have blue print to make a Superman story ande always f*cks up. So yeah, they aren't ready for PG

  9. #39
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I don't think that's a good idea.youliterally have blue print to make a Superman story ande always f*cks up. So yeah, they aren't ready for PG
    what happens if you put Powergirl in a universe without a Superman, she is from another universe anyway, what happens if you put her in the Watchman universe?

  10. #40
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,670

    Default

    I don't know if they should but I want the first teaser poster to be just the boob window. It will make comic fans laugh and everyone else angry

  11. #41
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    what happens if you put Powergirl in a universe without a Superman, she is from another universe anyway, what happens if you put her in the Watchman universe?
    I'm not sure what you are referring to here. But PG has never been part of the WM universe

  12. #42
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    what happens if you put Powergirl in a universe without a Superman, she is from another universe anyway, what happens if you put her in the Watchman universe?
    She's way too altruistic for the Watchmen universe. People gotta leave it alone. That universe was designed to tell one story and it's fine.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    I've actually always felt that Power Girl would work great as a TV show. Not a CW show...more like HBO Max.

    I've long had this somewhat Elseworld-ish idea of how to do a Power Girl adaptation - one that stays somewhat true to her origins while also letting her exist in a world without Superman.

    Basically, in my story, both Kal-L and Kara's rocketships are launched from Krypton in the mid-1910's. However, unlike what happened in the comics, in this version, Kara's ship lands on earth first, around 1933, at which point she's already grown into a young adult. She's discovered and taken in by a kindly family in Kansas. She has no memories other than knowing that her name is 'Kara', being able to speak somewhat broken English, and having weird dreams of an alien world, alien landscapes, and a strangely garbed couple.

    The first season of the show is set in 1938. Kara now goes by 'Karen Starr'. Over the past five years, she's been a quick learner - becoming highly adept at multiple languages, and mastering a bunch of disciplines. She even goes to college. She's basically adapted fully to a normal human life - but she's very much aware that she's not a normal human and is possibly of extraterrestrial origin. Then there's the fact that she's "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap buildings in a single bound...". Anyway, Karen goes to Metropolis where she ends up using her powers to avert a disaster, and slowly becomes a costumed vigilante - one who starts out helping vulnerable women, and who gradually becomes a hero to everyone and comes to be known as 'Power Girl'. The season will be a kind of remix of the Siegal/Shuster Superman stories (imagine PG taking on that wife-beater!) as well as the story of Kara slowly trying to piece together her alien origins from fragmented memories. I think the 'Big Bad' of the season should be Ultra-Humanite.

    The second season would skip ahead to the 1950's, and we're now in alternate history territory a bit. In flashbacks, we get the backstory of the past decade - Power Girl changed the course of history by getting involved in WW2, and helping end it early. We get to see the actual impact of someone like Power Girl on world history, and how it gives the feminist movement in particular a massive early boost. Scientific research and technological development also takes a huge leap forward in this reality, and Karen Starr sets herself up as a pioneer in computing. We also get to see the JSA in WW2 flashbacks and some of them in the present-day story as well - since the war ended early, many of them were able to retire from superheroics and contribute to this technological development. As for the Big Bad, I'd go with Brainiac, who'd help solve some of the lingering mysteries about Kara's true origins and reveal that she has a cousin who's theoretically on his way to earth.

    The third season would be set in the early 1970's, in an almost retro-futuristic earth that almost seems like a blend between the 1939 World's Fair and the 21st century as we know it. A major subplot for the season will be Kara's friendship and partnership with Helena Wayne AKA Huntress (with a few flashbacks to the 50's and 60's featuring Power Girl teaming up with Batman and Robin...because I think by this point the fan service will be warranted!) Kara also meets the mysterious Alexander Luthor, who seems to be a tech genius at first but later reveals he's a traveler from other dimensions. Kara gets involved with Alex and learns about the Multiverse and the notion that on other worlds, her mysterious cousin was the most powerful and influential hero instead of her - 'Superman'. Alex ostensibly helps Kara prepare to defend her earth against the threat of the Anti-Monitor, who destroyed his world, though it turns out later that he's the real villain of this story, and is trying to rewrite reality at the expense of Kara's world to bring back his world. Kara of course manages to beat him in the end.

    The last scene of the last season will have a coda showing Kal-L's rocketship finally crash-landing on earth, with Kara ready to receive him...

  14. #44
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've actually always felt that Power Girl would work great as a TV show. Not a CW show...more like HBO Max.

    I've long had this somewhat Elseworld-ish idea of how to do a Power Girl adaptation - one that stays somewhat true to her origins while also letting her exist in a world without Superman.

    Basically, in my story, both Kal-L and Kara's rocketships are launched from Krypton in the mid-1910's. However, unlike what happened in the comics, in this version, Kara's ship lands on earth first, around 1933, at which point she's already grown into a young adult. She's discovered and taken in by a kindly family in Kansas. She has no memories other than knowing that her name is 'Kara', being able to speak somewhat broken English, and having weird dreams of an alien world, alien landscapes, and a strangely garbed couple.

    The first season of the show is set in 1938. Kara now goes by 'Karen Starr'. Over the past five years, she's been a quick learner - becoming highly adept at multiple languages, and mastering a bunch of disciplines. She even goes to college. She's basically adapted fully to a normal human life - but she's very much aware that she's not a normal human and is possibly of extraterrestrial origin. Then there's the fact that she's "faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap buildings in a single bound...". Anyway, Karen goes to Metropolis where she ends up using her powers to avert a disaster, and slowly becomes a costumed vigilante - one who starts out helping vulnerable women, and who gradually becomes a hero to everyone and comes to be known as 'Power Girl'. The season will be a kind of remix of the Siegal/Shuster Superman stories (imagine PG taking on that wife-beater!) as well as the story of Kara slowly trying to piece together her alien origins from fragmented memories. I think the 'Big Bad' of the season should be Ultra-Humanite.

    The second season would skip ahead to the 1950's, and we're now in alternate history territory a bit. In flashbacks, we get the backstory of the past decade - Power Girl changed the course of history by getting involved in WW2, and helping end it early. We get to see the actual impact of someone like Power Girl on world history, and how it gives the feminist movement in particular a massive early boost. Scientific research and technological development also takes a huge leap forward in this reality, and Karen Starr sets herself up as a pioneer in computing. We also get to see the JSA in WW2 flashbacks and some of them in the present-day story as well - since the war ended early, many of them were able to retire from superheroics and contribute to this technological development. As for the Big Bad, I'd go with Brainiac, who'd help solve some of the lingering mysteries about Kara's true origins and reveal that she has a cousin who's theoretically on his way to earth.

    The third season would be set in the early 1970's, in an almost retro-futuristic earth that almost seems like a blend between the 1939 World's Fair and the 21st century as we know it. A major subplot for the season will be Kara's friendship and partnership with Helena Wayne AKA Huntress (with a few flashbacks to the 50's and 60's featuring Power Girl teaming up with Batman and Robin...because I think by this point the fan service will be warranted!) Kara also meets the mysterious Alexander Luthor, who seems to be a tech genius at first but later reveals he's a traveler from other dimensions. Kara gets involved with Alex and learns about the Multiverse and the notion that on other worlds, her mysterious cousin was the most powerful and influential hero instead of her - 'Superman'. Alex ostensibly helps Kara prepare to defend her earth against the threat of the Anti-Monitor, who destroyed his world, though it turns out later that he's the real villain of this story, and is trying to rewrite reality at the expense of Kara's world to bring back his world. Kara of course manages to beat him in the end.

    The last scene of the last season will have a coda showing Kal-L's rocketship finally crash-landing on earth, with Kara ready to receive him...
    None of that sounds bad. I would probably watch and be entertained. But it doesn't really sound essential either.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-06-2021 at 11:01 AM.

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's way too altruistic for the Watchmen universe. People gotta leave it alone. That universe was designed to tell one story and it's fine.
    What if you just toss her into our world plus a bunch of villains from other comic book worlds to fight? In other words, she fights in New York City and no Metropolis, of course once you release all those comic book creations it is no longer our World. I think the creatures and beings should come from a bunch of different worlds rather than a single one. For example you could have Godzilla, a bunch of tripod aliens from Mars, the invisible man, Frankenstein's monster, Freddy Krueger, the Alien from the Alien movies, some Klingons in a Klingon Cruiser, a D&D dragon, some mutants from a post-apocalyptic world, giant robots duking it out with swords, Darth Vader and an Imperial Star Destroyer and so forth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •