Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Hey, i'm new here. Can you explain to me what's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As someone who was objectified while working (from being given phone numbers to outright asked to take my clothes off), by both men and women, it can get very uncomfortable even if you're attracted to that particular sex or person. You're just trying to do your job and people are making it about what they want from you. It's not fun, dude. The amount of times it's pleasant is overwhelmingly outnumbered by the times it ranges from awkward to outright awful.

You keep looking for excuses to make Karen receptive to sexual harassment and that's really not cool.
    I'm sorry you had to go through that, Robanker .

And thank you for using it to inform others. I think it's needed

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Someone asked about a potential Power Girl movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    We were supposed to be discussing the plot of a potential Power Girl movie, but the conversation took several weird and unexpected turns.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    We were supposed to be discussing the plot of a potential Power Girl movie, but the conversation took several weird and unexpected turns.
    In a way, it's pointless as far as a theatrical movie.

First, in order for it to be a recognizable Powergirl, there would first need to be a Supergirl movie again. Once that happens, there won't be any Powergirl movie until maybe Phase 3 or 4 if ever.

or, with no Supergirl, they would likely do a Powergirl movie that divests her of everything that makes her who she is in the comics. It would probably be worse than that Atlantis thing and change her powers along with everything else.

Finally, they could just make her from the same reality as the main movie universe and not have any Supergirl. But Supergirl is a much bigger brand name so that's not going to happen.

For me, despite being an alternate reality Supergirl, she's mote interesting and I would want her to have her original comic book origin, altered to fit the modern world.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

First, in order for it to be a recognizable Powergirl, there would first need to be a Supergirl movie again. Once that happens, there won't be any Powergirl movie until maybe Phase 3 or 4 if ever.

or, with no Supergirl, they would likely do a Powergirl movie that divests her of everything that makes her who she is in the comics. It would probably be worse than that Atlantis thing and change her powers along with everything else.

Finally, they could just make her from the same reality as the main movie universe and not have any Supergirl. But Supergirl is a much bigger brand name so that's not going to happen.

For me, despite being an alternate reality Supergirl, she's mote interesting and I would want her to have her original comic book origin, altered to fit the modern world.
    IMO, while there is a problem with a PG movie, it's not any of that. You don't even need to reference Supergirl at all, and probably shouldn't in something starring Power Girl. Nor do I see WB changing her origin back, or indeed away from Kryptonian. If they ever used her live action, I'd assume they'd go the other way and brand her more closely to SM with some version of the "S" logo. Her actual comic book origin is...murky at best. Actually, the most detailed version I've ever seen, including her life on Krypton as a young child, was in the horrible nu52. Other than that, from Krypton 2, next panel she meets Kal-L. That's basically it; there's no grand introductory adventure, no inciting incident apart from being saved just like her cousin, no nothing. Which means anything that stays within the Krypton boundaries is fair game. And if they wanted to make her from the main DCU universe, that too is very easy. Just make her another close relative of Kal. It'd mean changing her last name, but really they never did anything with that anyway, so nothing is lost.

Here's what I think is the real problem, or rather problems. The first is that DC/WB have never shown any real enthusiasm for the character. The second is the current environment. Movie budgets are likely to be cut back greatly, meaning the era of the huge budget special effect movie is probably over, replaced by the era of the streaming series. If PG ever shows up in live action, now I'd bet it will be either some HBO Max streaming show, or a CW show. The most likely CW show would probably be Stargirl, but I don't think it's likely. Most likely is either a guest appearance on an HBO Max series, or best case a regular slot on such a show. But I think the window on a movie is over, and not just for PG.

Extraordinary Member

On top of that, I think I'd prefer a Mandalorian or Wandavision level streaming series where they could develop her character over many hours, to a at most two hour long movie where character development has to be balanced with action and all the other things.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

The best solution would be not have any Super girl. It sounds contrarian and Kara is the bigger brand, but brand doesn't really matter. All it takes is one good movie to elevate a lesser brand( Guardians of the Galaxy) or a bad one to degrade a more popular brand( most of the DC live action movies).

I dunno if I agree that big budget films and theaters are doomed. That joke from the Simpsons about how the global economy relies on big Avenger style films isn't quite as ridiculous as we might think. And with the vaccine out, we might see a government bail out for the movie industry, like we saw for the auto industry during the great recession.

But either way, I do agree that WB doesn't have any interest in Karen.

Achilles isn't wrong about Karen's origin either; the New52 provided the most comprehensive version (far as I've seen anyway). But I think the details of Karen's life on earth-2 (or whatever you call her homearth) are less important than her surviving its destruction. *That's* her real origin moment; it's not being rocketed to earth or becoming a hero or meeting her grown up cousin; it's being the last survivor of a dead universe trapped in a world that is both familiar and strange. That's where modern Power Girl's tale truly begins, and what a origin story should focus on.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno if I agree that big budget films and theaters are doomed. That joke from the Simpsons about how the global economy relies on big Avenger style films isn't quite as ridiculous as we might think. And with the vaccine out, we might see a government bail out for the movie industry, like we saw for the auto industry during the great recession.

Achilles isn't wrong about Karen's origin either; the New52 provided the most comprehensive version (far as I've seen anyway). But I think the details of Karen's life on earth-2 (or whatever you call her homearth) are less important than her surviving its destruction. *That's* her real origin moment; it's not being rocketed to earth or becoming a hero or meeting her grown up cousin; it's being the last survivor of a dead universe trapped in a world that is both familiar and strange. That's where modern Power Girl's tale truly begins, and what a origin story should focus on.
    I agree that prior to her planet facing its big kaboom, she's still unique but missing a piece; kind of like if you're telling a solo Dick Grayson film but ignoring Nightwing. Yeah, Robin is very important to who he is, but Nightwing is when he really comes into his own as a solo hero. Same with Wally West if he can't be The Flash. Karen is PG on her world or ours, but she's missing a pretty significant chunk of character and growth from losing her world if we spend too much time on Earth-2.

Spectacular Member

Okay, remember that vision of the future Batman received from future Flash in Batman V Superman? Well maybe Powergirl was the Supergirl from that Universe, she was that Universe's Supergirl.

Lets imagine Future Flash communicated with two people, one was Batman, and the other was Supergirl. Batman was warned about evil Superman and that Lois Lane was the key, but future Flash had another idea in case altering history didn't work. Supergirl crashed her spaceship on Ellesmere Island 20,000 years ago, so Flash traveled back 20,000 years to ask Supergirl for help. Supergirl travels into the future but fails to defeat evil Superman, but then history changes around Supergirl, except Supergirl remains the same. Another Supergirl also travels to the future, the two Supergirls flip a coin one flips the coin the other calls it heads or tails, if the one who calls it wins, she gets to be Supergirl, otherwise she is powergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I agree that prior to her planet facing its big kaboom, she's still unique but missing a piece; kind of like if you're telling a solo Dick Grayson film but ignoring Nightwing. Yeah, Robin is very important to who he is, but Nightwing is when he really comes into his own as a solo hero. Same with Wally West if he can't be The Flash. Karen is PG on her world or ours, but she's missing a pretty significant chunk of character and growth from losing her world if we spend too much time on Earth-2.
    Just as a very rough guesstimate I'd say the first 25-33% of the film should be on earth-2. We need to spend *some* time there to elicit a emotional response from the audience when it's destroyed. We don't want to spend too much time there, but glossing over it would be a mistake too.

I might even play into that for the marketing; use nothing but "earth-2" content for all the trailers and promo's, make it seem like the hook is "alternate reality Supergirl" so the film's actual plot hits harder due to the surprise. Might be hard to do, since every nerd worth their salt knows PG is a multiversal refugee, but I bet you could spin it so fans end up thinking the whole film takes place on earth-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Okay, remember that vision of the future Batman received from future Flash in Batman V Superman? Well maybe Powergirl was the Supergirl from that Universe, she was that Universe's Supergirl.
    I do like tying up the loose end of that ice age scout ship and using the established continuity of previous films to build into PG. But I dunno if calling back to Snyder's films is the right call. Those strike me as a "let's forget they happened" thing, even if I still think Man of Steel is one of the best genre films to date.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    A big obstacle to a Power Girl movie is that her origin will be confusing to a general audience. She's Supergirl but not Supergirl.
    And I am wondering how that fact could be sidestepped. People have said they see the likeliest path being to lean further into her being Kryptonian. Unless this is in a theoretical vacuum how do you do that?

Spectacular Member

Just as a very rough guesstimate I'd say the first 25-33% of the film should be on earth-2. We need to spend *some* time there to elicit a emotional response from the audience when it's destroyed. We don't want to spend too much time there, but glossing over it would be a mistake too.

I might even play into that for the marketing; use nothing but "earth-2" content for all the trailers and promo's, make it seem like the hook is "alternate reality Supergirl" so the film's actual plot hits harder due to the surprise. Might be hard to do, since every nerd worth their salt knows PG is a multiversal refugee, but I bet you could spin it so fans end up thinking the whole film takes place on earth-2.

I do like tying up the loose end of that ice age scout ship and using the established continuity of previous films to build into PG. But I dunno if calling back to Snyder's films is the right call. Those strike me as a "let's forget they happened" thing, even if I still think Man of Steel is one of the best genre films to date.
    If Lex Luthor can create Doomsday in that ship by mixing his DNA with Zod's, maybe there is a record of Kara Zor El's DNA in the ship's computer, a supergirl might be made from this. First get a human Earth girl that is dying of incurable cancer and then upload her brain pattern to the ship's computer then download that memory to the clone of Supergirl that is being grown in the ship's Genesis chamber, and there we have our Supergirl, she has no memory of Krypton but she is Supergirl, and we also have Powergirl with that memory.