Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Default The Avengers Appreciation 2021

"And there came a day unlike any other, when earth's mightiest heroes were united against a common threat! On that day the Avengers were born! -- To fight the foes no single hero could withstand! Through the years their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then - for now Avengers assemble!"

Whether they be West Coast, Uncanny, Mighty, New, or just plain, the Avengers have been earth's mightiest heroes for nearly 60 years! Here, show your appreciation for one of the best teams in the Marvel Universe and comics in general!

Last edited by Tien Long; 01-04-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

To get the ball rolling, here are some classic Avengers moments:

Vision crying over his acceptance into the Avengers in Avengers #58:

Thor and the Avengers with words with Ultron:

Avengers find Captain America:
    "I am a man of peace."

Happy New Year to Earth's Mightiest Heroes .

Hoping 2021 will be a good year for Earth's Mightiest Heroes

One of my personal favorite Avengers moments? From Frank Miller's "Born Again" storyline. When the city is erupting in chaos and disaster, they appear:

"A soldier with a voice that could command a voice..." Can't tell you how many times I quoted that.
    "I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member

The big split in how people view the Avengers is whether it's a book about the big guns of Marvel (Cap, Thor and Iron Man) with some supporting characters thrown in, or if it's a book about a core cast of B-list characters like the Wasp, Hank Pym, Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

Hickman, Waid and Aaron's runs, in their own ways, all were based around the idea that the Avengers is an all-star book. I would like to see them symbolically kick the Big Three off the team, use characters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel and maybe even Spider-Man to provide the star power, and bring the B-listers and the classic Avengers mythology back to the book.

It won't happen, of course. But 2021 is a good year to hope for better things that may not happen.

Really wish that Bob's hair would stay short. :P

I view the Avengers not as an all-star team, but a team that wins the World Series. There should be a mixture of all-stars and roleplayers.

I like many characters in the spotlight, when it makes sense for the story and power usage. I do not want it to be the "Thor, Iron Man and Cap book guest-starring....". I want it to be a true TEAM book.

Astonishing Member

West Coast Avengers, especially Byrne's run, is my favorite incarnation of the Avengers. Byrne was a pro with super heroes.

Incredible Member

I very much prefer a roster than includes he B listers. I've read the comic since a was a kid in the late sixties, and I hated 'Disassembled' and the addition of Spider-Man and Wolverine. It changed everything I had loved about the team for decades. Spider-Man works best as a loner, and he already appears a dozen times a month. Wolverine also appears a dozen times a month, on so many different teams it's ridiculous. This book isn't JLA. The Avengers works much better (in my opinion), if it features characters that can actually have significant things happen to them, and that the writer can use in any way he wants to tell a story that has a meaningful impact.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The big split in how people view the Avengers is whether it's a book about the big guns of Marvel (Cap, Thor and Iron Man) with some supporting characters thrown in, or if it's a book about a core cast of B-list characters like the Wasp, Hank Pym, Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

Hickman, Waid and Aaron's runs, in their own ways, all were based around the idea that the Avengers is an all-star book. I would like to see them symbolically kick the Big Three off the team, use characters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel and maybe even Spider-Man to provide the star power, and bring the B-listers and the classic Avengers mythology back to the book.

It won't happen, of course. But 2021 is a good year to hope for better things that may not happen.
    An interesting idea. Initially I was against it. However, I realized that I've been thinking up of a line up of Avengers that doesn't include the Big Three at all. (Perhaps more of that in a future thread). The reason I'm still supportive of having the Big Three on the Avengers is that well, I still see them as B-Listers. Coming into comics during the 80s and 90s, I was brought up with the A-listers of the Marvel Universe being Spider-Man, The X-Men, and the Fantastic Four. Cap, Iron Man, and Thor may have been famous, but never quite up there with the aforementioned characters. Hence, I'm never against and quite supportive of those 3 on the team. Even though they're are famous in the MU (and arguably the most recognized superheroes on the planet right now), I still think they (and the Avengers team itself quite frankly) have something to prove to everyone, that they deserve to be earth's mightiest heroes. Even with Cap, Iron Man, and Thor, they're still a B-team that somehow wins the World Series.

At the same time, I see other points. The Big Three may not be huge A-Listers, but they've been seen a lot in Avengers line-up's. So yeah, they don't have to be there. However, I'd like one or two characters with some Avengers pedigree to be an anchor and tie it that Avengers legacy. Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Wonder Man, one or two of those would be great anchors. I think an unexpected but excellent anchor would be Monica Rambeau. Former chairwomen, but seldom seen since, I think she'd be a great character to provide any team of non-A-Listers the stamp of Avengers.
    "I am a man of peace."

Many awesome moments from Ultron Unlimited. Now, I posted Thor's iconic "Words with thee" line, but one of my favorite moments was this:

Liked it because it showed the "against the odds" nature of the Avengers. Even with the Big Three, combined with the epicness of Black Panther and the firepower of Firestar (come to think of it, a lot of writers forget that Angelica was a key member of the Avengers during this fight), they're hopelessly outnumbered...but they still fight on!
    "I am a man of peace."

more villain teams needed. more space missions.
    more natural disaster intervention needed. rescue missions where a villain isn't behind it.

Avengers having B-lister (or lower) characters provides a platform for those characters. It really shows how awesome they could be. For instance, I just bought the Avengers/X-Men "Bloodties" crossover a couple of weeks ago. I had some low expectations to be honest. I mean, c'mon, this was the time when Avengers were the bottom of the totem poll in the Marvel Universe, of gaudy 90s leather jackets. The team had so-so characters like Black Knight, Hercules, and Sersi. Who cares about Sersi? But I read scenes like this:

.....wow! You don't realize how powerful the Avengers could be until you see them in action. Here's this badass, X-Men villain, Exodus, with this badass cool name. Who in the 90s thought that an Avenger could match him? But then you get an Eternal like Sersi who shows that yeah, an Avenger could. Awesome!
    "I am a man of peace."