Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Avengers april

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    It is. Marvel teased a "rebirth" for the Avengers following Enter the Phoenix.
    It's like Aaron is purposefully picking terrible ideas.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Some of my strongest Comic Book childhood memories right there. This story had everything a good Avenger story should have (a lost art nowadays, seriously). Plot twists (the Lethal Legion merely being stoogies and not the actual threat. I was so looking foward to seeing Wonder Man and Smuggler/Power Man really duking it out), unbeatable odds (you don't get more unbeatable than Nefaria), general plot advancement and character progression (Wonder Man facing his fears, Iron Man's leadership style conflicting with Cap's, the return of the Vision, more powerful and robotic than ever), a great line-up (one of the best EVER. My only complaint is that, although Shooter was already working on powering-up Wasp and Wanda, the team was still too female-lite.), fantastic art and action galore. And they didn't have to artificially wimpyfy any character to make another look coller. Thor was still the Avengers (and Marvel's) biggest gun (as he should be), but Wonder Man, Iron Man and Vision all had chance to show that they are powerhouses in their own right. Unfortunately, they don't make them like this anymore.

I'd be all for it, however, what we really need is someone that really knows how to right super-heroes, and that seems a rarity nowadays.

Peace
    I never met any comic fans, not even as a kid with my friends at the time of this comic, who knew about these Avengers issues and the Count. Too bad we did not all know each other then. We could have all had fun as kids playing "Avengers vs Count Nefaria", lol!

I also wanted to see Wonder Man fight Smuggler/Power Man. But I think this is what happened: Dr Sturdy and staff empowered the Lethal Legion up to Cl 100, as Power Man was now stronger than Wondy. That is why the fight was so short. PM was so strong now that he punched Wondy blocks away. Then, Sturdy increased those powers 100-fold and transferred them into Nefaria. That is why he was so much stronger than Wonder Man, much noticeably moreso than even the empowered Power Man.

This really gives Count Nefaria Cl 10,000 Strength! Nefaria had so much energy and durability that Vision could not penetrate him and Thor's hammer bounced off him.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Avengers april

The new Phoenix looks like a woman. Maybe it's Jen? But she's not super-Hulking out so I guess not.

It seems Aaron is making everyone Phoenix Hosts, then they compete against someone and the winner keeps the Force. He seems to be doing this in teams of two, to ultimately see who should be the host?

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's like Aaron is purposefully picking terrible ideas.
    Spencer's not doing much better on Spider-Man. One More Day, Sins Past and Secret Empire have all come up in the one arc
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I don't have much of an interest in Children of the Atom (other than if Gambit can finally benefit from some good writing) but according to the solicits, some Avengers will appear in the second issue, in April
    It's gonna be fun

Avengers #45 will bring this series one issue past Hickman's run on the title. People complain a lot about this series, but Aaron remains committed to it and he is maintaining a steady lineup with the Big 3 in it.

Spectacular Member

I'm fairly sure that's Echo (Maya Lopez) who is the new Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I'm fairly sure that's Echo (Maya Lopez) who is the new Phoenix.
    Yeah bro, getting that vibe too.

As for Aaron's run, there's something about the execution that's bothering me. I enjoy the issues, but there's a little nagging something about it, y'know? I think it has to do with the fact that characters seemed depowered in a way. For me, Celestials and Phoenixes were grand, epic beings that were worthy of awe. An author took their time with the character, built up that majesty. Now, they are just casually used. Now, I see the merit in them. I'm really enjoying these epic match - up's between characters for "Enter The Phoenix." Slugfests are cool. Modern comics need more of them. But why is the Phoenix coming to Earth again? Why is this tournament arc happening so quickly? Or how can Moon Knight just so casually beat Thor? It's just odd. Aaron has all of these ideas that are briliant. It's their execution that's a bit off.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

As we've been talking about the Avengers and Nefaria, I like how Kurt Busiek (I'm going to mention Busiek's run a lot in this thread by the way ) paid homage to that in his run of the Avengers. I've posted this before, but look at how Busiek puts a new spin on the Vision dropping down on Nefaria here:

Loved this issue, how Nefaria took on both the Avengers and Thunderbolts at the same time here. Great way for Perez to end his run with Busiek too.
    "I am a man of peace."

But the Vision should not have been able to enter Nefaria's body because he is too supercharged with energy. Vision could not do that to Nefaria the first time they fought. Had things changed here?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    But the Vision should not have been able to enter Nefaria's body because he is too supercharged with energy. Vision could not do that to Nefaria the first time they fought. Had things changed here?
    I read it as he had changed his density at that split second. So he was super heavy and then became super light.
    "I am a man of peace."

Finally got to read the latest issue and it left me in a weird state. As an Avengers comic it was absolutely terrible yet as a Black Panther fan I loved the issue. My main problem with Aaron's Avengers run is that he hasn't actually finished a single story yet, but the man has given much love to characters like Black Panther and Blade so I Just keep on reading.

I thought it was either American Eagle or Red Widow so seeing Echo be the host is ok but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Avengers #45 will bring this series one issue past Hickman's run on the title. People complain a lot about this series, but Aaron remains committed to it and he is maintaining a steady lineup with the Big 3 in it.
    The problem is the ideas and setups are good on paper and yet, he's done nothing with them.