Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He definitely drove the universe to a major degree with his run, for better or worse, although he couldn't keep Osborn going after Dark Reign.

I liked Siege up until the anti-climax of an ending (and the onset for the conflict was kind of dumb, admittedly).
    I'm glad Dark Reign came to an end. Heroes can't keep taking loses, and settling for pyrrhic victories. Not the Avengers. I have not read an Osborn story since the Superior Spider-Man. I just love that deranged bastard. You know me, I love shameless evildoers. IIRC, I think Loki was triggering Norman, too. I think some Volstagg shenanigans took place to set things off, too.

Clearly, Roger Stern or Kurt Busiek, would have given a better story with all the characters featured.

I did LOL when Osborn was shown to have green paint on his face following his defeat.

The art was just glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'm glad Dark Reign came to an end. Heroes can't keep taking loses, and settling for pyrrhic victories. Not the Avengers.
    I think that was my biggest problem with Bendis' writing (or not, since I have MANY problems with his writing), and with the writing of many of Marvel's top talent then and now. He just didn't know how to make a threat credible and make the heroes good enough to win n their own merits. Mostly, it felt forced on both ends. I mean, the heroes had to suffer from plot induced idiocy as to boost the villains threat factor (oftimes, I'll give that he did a good set-up, but it never paid off well enough), and then, as if to prove that the villains were really "bad-ass", the heroes only won by dumb luck, never by their own prowess (other than in amazingly stupid climaxes such as Nefaria's defeat at the hands of the New Avengers). That's not how heroes comics are supposed to work, IMHO.
    I mean, the whole time, what I (and I'm guessing most fans) wanted was to see Thor show the Sentry who is truely boss in the MU. Who's the top dog. And to see the real Avengers take down the Dark Avengers, taking back their place as Earth's MIghtiest Heroes. What we got was a mix of Young Avengers, Secret Warrios, and New Avengers, with hardly a classic Avenger in sight. And the Sentry got taken down by "Norn Stones". WTF?

Clearly, Roger Stern or Kurt Busiek, would have given a better story with all the characters featured.
    No doubt about it. They knew how to write heroes and villains smart. You CAN build up a villain without tearing down the heroes.

The art was just glorious.
    That, I have to admit, it was.

Peace

If you has the Twitter - might I recommend:

https://twitter.com/dailyavengershq?lang=en
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

If you could have any SIX characters on your AVENGERS book - who would you have?
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    If you could have any SIX characters on your AVENGERS book - who would you have?
    With both DC and Marvel, I tend to shy away from the big A-listers. With that in mind:

1. She-Hulk
    2. Spectrum
    3. Jack of Hearts
    4. Scarlet Witch
    5. Hank Pym (calling himself either Wasp or Yellowjacket, but rocking the Wasp suit he wore)
    6. Captain Britain (Brian Braddock)

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Captain Marvel
    Spider-Woman
    Giant Man (Roz)
    Dr. Voodoo
    Falcon

Rotating 6th member:
    Wasp
    Spectrum
    Hercules
    Captain America
    Songbird
    Black Panther
    Jack of Hearts
    She-Hulk
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Well I posted this at the Avengers roster thread, however, if I can have only six, I'll trim it down a bit. These are my fave:

Yellow Jacket (Hank Pym, returned in all his glory, having acess to all his various powers in all his various identities in a new, revamped, YJ costume. I've always loved the Avengers pictures with a large giant standing in the background, and Hank is it)
    Wasp (Janet Van Dyne. With Hank back, she should be back also, to help him adjust. Plus, I'm not gonna use the other founders, so these two should be around)
    Wonder Man (Simon Williams. The powerhouse. No more Mr. Nice Guy pacifist for this one. Simon will show how powerful he truely is. No Vizh and no Wanda around. I'd like to see Simon develop away from them)
    She-Hulk (Jen Walters. Back to smart, powerful and sexy woman. Let her cousin be the dumb, ugly one. With her, Simon and Hank, this team will not suffer for lack of muscle)
    Spectrum ( Monica Rambeau. Power, lots of power. Nuff said)
    Hawkeye (Clint Barton. I'd like to bring back the great Avenger Hawkeye. Smart, loud-mouthed and always resourceful. There are pleanty of Avengers in this team with whom Clint has strong connections. It'll be fun to see them develop further)
    If I had a couple more picks, there are others I'd like to bring around.

That's it. I'd love to bring in Hank as the leader also, but there are other more capable leaders in the team, namely Wasp, Spectrum and, once upon a time, Hawkeye. I guess Wasp would be my pick. It's a powerful team, with Flyers galore (Hank, Jan, Wondy, Monica), pleanty of muscle (Wondy, Shulkie, Hank), scientific expertise ( Hank Pym and maybe Simon can brush up his game), fire-power ( Hank, Jan, Monica,Hawk) and skill (Hawk), heavy on alpha personalities (Hank, Jan, Monica and Clint), and I'd love to pit them against some classic Avengers foes, and some who haven't had the spotlight in a very long time.

Peace

1. Captain America
    2. Iron Man
    3. Thor
    4. Scarlet Witch
    5. Black Widow
    6. Captain Marvel

Extraordinary Member

Wasp
    Tigra
    Justice
    Ultra Girl
    Blue Marvel
    Toni Ho / Iron Patriot Armor.

Not a fan of Bendis changes or as I call it the JLAing up of the Avengers.....alot of the people he put on the team fit other teams better imo....I also think he struggled giving characters distinct voices I feel like his wolverine was a total downgrade to what we got in xmen years prior he came across imo as a mary sue something wolverine should never be. Luke Cage and Ironfist great characters but I don't think the fit with the Avengers is a good one. As for Spiderman he can work as a part timer but at his core and at his best he will always work best as solo hero....I always felt he was above them to be honest personally and I use to love that his reasoning for wanting to join them wasn't so much out of awe of them but financial reasons....I like the Avengers as the Authority Figure team there are plenty of anti establishment squads in the marvel u the avengers don't pull that off well imo and never did jmo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I think that was my biggest problem with Bendis' writing (or not, since I have MANY problems with his writing), and with the writing of many of Marvel's top talent then and now. He just didn't know how to make a threat credible and make the heroes good enough to win n their own merits. Mostly, it felt forced on both ends. I mean, the heroes had to suffer from plot induced idiocy as to boost the villains threat factor (oftimes, I'll give that he did a good set-up, but it never paid off well enough), and then, as if to prove that the villains were really "bad-ass", the heroes only won by dumb luck, never by their own prowess (other than in amazingly stupid climaxes such as Nefaria's defeat at the hands of the New Avengers). That's not how heroes comics are supposed to work, IMHO.
    I mean, the whole time, what I (and I'm guessing most fans) wanted was to see Thor show the Sentry who is truely boss in the MU. Who's the top dog. And to see the real Avengers take down the Dark Avengers, taking back their place as Earth's MIghtiest Heroes. What we got was a mix of Young Avengers, Secret Warrios, and New Avengers, with hardly a classic Avenger in sight. And the Sentry got taken down by "Norn Stones". WTF?

No doubt about it. They knew how to write heroes and villains smart. You CAN build up a villain without tearing down the heroes.

That, I have to admit, it was.

Peace
    I think Bendis captured lightning in a bottle during that time.

Extraordinary Member

I'd need 8-12 characters, but I prefer a really good writer to surprise me with the number you requested. I love a large Busiek/Shooter era line up.

Roger Stern pleasantly surprised me with his 80's roster of Cap, Monica, Janet, Black Knight, Hercules, and Starfox/Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I'd need 8-12 characters, but I prefer a really good writer to surprise me with the number you requested. I love a large Busiek/Shooter era line up.

Roger Stern pleasantly surprised me with his 80's roster of Cap, Monica, Janet, Black Knight, Hercules, and Starfox/Namor.
    IMHO, Roger Stern proved to be a genius at handling the six members limits on the line-up. He managed to always keeping them fresh, juggling classic members as well as his share of new (who, unfortunately, most never worked well beyond him). I guess the intro of the West Coast Avengers, taking away some classics like Hawkeye, Wonder Man, Iron Man and Hank Pym, helped him do that.

Peace

IMHO, Roger Stern proved to be a genius at handling the six members limits on the line-up. He managed to always keeping them fresh, juggling classic members as well as his share of new (who, unfortunately, most never worked well beyond him). I guess the intro of the West Coast Avengers, taking away some classics like Hawkeye, Wonder Man, Iron Man and Hank Pym, helped him do that.

Peace
    I feel like Busiek and Sterns had a good handle on the Avengers as a standard team with a changeable roster.

Extraordinary Member

Peace
    This is why two books are needed: to get the best of classic members mixed with new members, and non-mainstays who may have interesting arcs to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Busiek and Sterns had a good handle on the Avengers as a standard team with a changeable roster.
    IMO, Marvel should hire Busiek and/or Stern to act as editors on the Avengers.