Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    The Crossing > Austen > Johns > Aaron
    I like the idea behind the Crossing. There were some great stuff that was abandoned later on, such as Mantis going bad and the Kang family. The idea of a founding Avenger betraying the team was also potentially good. IMHO, the Crossing gets a really bad rep for the solution it found for it's plot twists. I mean, whoever thought Teen Tony was actually a good idea? Being a top notch engineer is not a magical power. It comes from knowledge, study and hard earned experience. It's the same way, for me, why characters like Moon Girl and Iron Heart really don't work. Unlike guys like Reed or Tony, they haven't earned their chops. Those only come, in that specific field, with some grey hairs. The Crossing already had another better sollution in it that was not even considered. Cybermancer came from a dimension where our heroes already had been corrupted, in fact, she mentions that their Tony Stark was willingly in league with Kang. It would have been, IMHO, a much simpler and better sollution (that has been used in other heroes gone bad scenarios), to have their Stark replace ours. It would allow for some drama (how do I regain people's trust?), maybe even more Crossing (a team would have to go to a dieing dimension to rescue our Tony), and it wouldn't have completely ruined a cornerstone character (I'd also have done without bug Wasp, but that is a story for another day).
    As for Johns, my only real problem with him was that wierd sex scene between Hank and Jan, and I found the rest of that issue kind of good, setting up the new rules for their relationship. I know a lot of people only see in Hank an abuser, I prefer to look at him as a recovering victim of a bout of mental illness . He was not in his right mind when he struck Jan. Having dealt with pleanty of mental health issues in my family, I guess it's more relatable for me in that way. Thank God, I never had to deal in any way with abuse. Other than that, I think Johns run was just fine. I liked the large roster, the JLI Avengers idea, Red Zone was, IMHO, a pretty good story, and so on. For me, my biggest issue with Johns' run was that it started with an already established expiration date, for he closed an exclusive contract with DC before his first issue even came out. I think this turned most people off to his ideas.
    Now, Austen's run, Thank God, was kind of short. What I hated so much about it? In favor of cheap drama, he spat on the integrity of key Avengers, he contradicted things that were established merely a few issues before, and ignored other things that went to the core of certain characters. Honestly, his Avengers were like a bad parody of the team. It was like another company creating their own team of pseudo Avengers just to take shots at Marvel. I hate what Bendis did with the Avengers, but he, at least, deven if very stupidly, cleaned the field of the real Avengers, before putting his own team together. Austen crapped on the team we all loved and followed. As for Aaron, there's been so much damage done to these characters over the last couple of decades that I guess I've just become numb. I just foud it boring as hell, not hate it.
    So, for me, it'd go: Johns > The Crossing > Aaron > Austen. But, to each it's own. What would be of the apples, if everbody only liked oranges, I always say.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 04-18-2021 at 05:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

Didn't Tony only get ahead because he had a rich family?

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I think it's not really Jen Rampaging. I think Jen will get arrested by the Winter Guard and Red Widow will use her to make herself/other assassins into She-Hulk(s) and it's up the Avengers to break Jen out and stop her/them.

Mighty Member

Hi, I'm wanting to get into Avengers comics but don't know where to start. Another question I have is, is it possible to read only the Avengers team books without reading the solo adventures of the heroes aside from events?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    I think it's not really Jen Rampaging. I think Jen will get arrested by the Winter Guard and Red Widow will use her to make herself/other assassins into She-Hulk(s) and it's up the Avengers to break Jen out and stop her/them.
    The Winter Guard arresting She-Hulk isn't caused because she and Namor fought in Moscu during the last part of the Phoenix Tournament?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Hi, I'm wanting to get into Avengers comics but don't know where to start. Another question I have is, is it possible to read only the Avengers team books without reading the solo adventures of the heroes aside from events?
    Depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of jump on eras and jump off eras and polarizing eras but in general you can read the Avengers without needing to read solo books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    The Winter Guard arresting She-Hulk isn't caused because she and Namor fought in Moscu during the last part of the Phoenix Tournament?
    Yeah, pretty much though they might throw in that time she exploded during the vampire arc and maybe when she was giant sized fighting the Celestials. But will be fallout from the Phoenix fight.

Hated the crossing for killing the female yellowjacket after she just took off in gotg. They needed iron man to kill a avenger to show how bad he is and picked her even with her out in space at the time. She could not get more "fridged" then that! At least she came back to life in dead avengers but unlike dr droid who also came back marvel has not used her after she came back!

Ultimate Member

Did they ever bring her back?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Hated the crossing for killing the female yellowjacket after she just took off in gotg. They needed iron man to kill a avenger to show how bad he is and picked her even with her out in space at the time. She could not get more "fridged" then that! At least she came back to life in dead avengers but unlike dr droid who also came back marvel has not used her after she came back!
    Yes, I've always liked Rita, but I think Gilgamesh's death was an even greater waste. It was a humiliating way for one of the most powerful of all Eternals to die. And, yes, he's back, but they never seem to know what to do with him.

Peace

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The most I know about The Crossing was through some old issues with Force Works and Iron Man. Didn't know about the Teen Tony stuff until I was past Heroes Return.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Did they ever bring her back?
    It's arguable. Rita and the original Swordsman survived the events of The Avengers Caos War, and so did the then deceased members of Alpha Flight (which Bendis killed off-panel, let it never be forgotten) survive their own adventures in Caos War. Marvel used the event to bring back to life the deceased members of AF, so, by association, a lot of people believed that Rita and Jaques also had a window to be back among the living. However, unlike the AF crew, they never showed up anywhere again. As time passes, it seems less likely that Marvel will ever pick this thread up. As a Rita fan, I find that a wasted opportunity.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    It's arguable. Rita and the original Swordsman survived the events of The Avengers Caos War, and so did the then deceased members of Alpha Flight (which Bendis killed off-panel, let it never be forgotten) survive their own adventures in Caos War. Marvel used the event to bring back to life the deceased members of AF, so, by association, a lot of people believed that Rita and Jaques also had a window to be back among the living. However, unlike the AF crew, they never showed up anywhere again. As time passes, it seems less likely that Marvel will ever pick this thread up. As a Rita fan, I find that a wasted opportunity.

Peace
    That's too bad.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    Yeah, this really pissed me off, since I really like both those characters. They were the main reason I picked up that tie-in book to begin with, and then Tom Brevoort comes out in an interview and says that AF were the only survivors of Chaos War. Maybe read the books that are under your purview instead of dismissing things that actually happened in them.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think Empyre states that Jacques was only revived thanks the Coatli and "ignores" his Chaos War ressurection.
    "Cable was right!"