Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It could have been fun to have a 20-30 second stinger at the end of the first Avengers movie in which we see a giant figure appear underneath the Leviathan that flips over and collapses on Grand Central Station, having flipped it and slammed it down, and then shrink out of sight, and Tony exclaim, 'What was that!' and Fury reply over his headset, 'Did you think you were the only special people I have on speed-dial, Stark?' Meanwhile, cut to Hawkeye, running out of arrows, and muttering into his comm, 'Out of arrows here...' and a woman's voice say, 'On it.' and a tiny winged figure zip by and zap a Chitauri climbing up to his perch, and dropping a tiny thing at Hawkeye's feet that expands into a full size quiver full of arrows. Hawkeye mutters, 'Thanks' and goes back to shooting. Just a tiny bit added to two scenes already in the movie (the Leviathan flipping over and crashing into Grand Central Station and Hawkeye running out of arrows on the rooftop) and it could have teased the appearances of Hank and Janet, without necessarily bloating the movie by adding them in a more significant role.

(A similar 20-30 second stinger could have introduced Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. Recut the scene with the Chitauri encircling Cap and the others on the bridge, where Thor shows up and lightning blasts them all, to have a blur of motion and all the Chitauri blasters appear in a pile at Cap's feet, as Fury comes over the comms, 'Back up should be en route, Cap.' and Cap sees the guns and a blur of wind as the speedster departs (no clear image, so that they don't even have to cast anyone yet!) and Cap replies, 'I think he's already come and gone...' before wading into the now-unarmed Chitauri. And at the very end, Iron Man flies into space and the blurry figure appears next a woman in a cape that we only see from behind, in the shadows of an alley. The woman says, 'When that bomb explodes, what are the odds that a feedback pulse will electrocute all the remaining Chitauri?' The man replies, '100%?' She answers, hands fluttering and rubble around her levitating as she casts a hex, '100%.' and the bomb goes off, and all the Chitauri just fall over, exactly as she predicted. Just recut and recontextualize some scenes already in the movie, and bam, tease Hank and Janet, *and* Pietro and Wanda, without having to actually show the actors, in case these roles haven't been cast yet.)

But no. Whedon couldn't use the Wasp, in particular, because he was told that the Shawn of the Dead guy had dibs on her, only for it to come up a few years later from Peyton Reed that Janet *wasn't even in the original Ant-Man script* he got (from Cornish?), so Whedon would totally have been able to use her...
    Interesting. I would've liked Hank and Jan in the first movie. Clint and Nat were kinda lame. Plus it would've provided some more diversity of super powers, beyond the basic powers we saw.

But somehow Scott Lang is a bigger character than Janet van Dyne? If the reverse happened, and a male character was dropped for a less well known female character, there would be a bunch of unnecessary anti-SJW backlash

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    You mean the Invincible Hellcat (and her wimpy sidekick, rich boy)? Sorry, I quit after the second or third talk down she gave Tony.

As you might gather from my comment above, I have a real hard time getting into Marvel's current "I apologize for being a hero" vibe, comming on the heels of the whole "I'm a total jerk, but I occasionally save lives" phase, so I also enjoy revisiting the past, but, especially with the Avengers, I do it through the Epic Collections TPBs (and some other TPBs I already have that help fill the gaps I may find). Currently, I have pratically everything (with a samll gap around the 200s) right up untill the 300's (or I will have in June, when the next volume of the Epic Collections come out). Unfortunately, though I have quite a lot in digital format, I really prefer to have the physical books in my hands.

Peace
    I'd been an avid Avengers collector since #159 - and followed them all the way through the end of Volume 1. But really, post 300 or so... they were already going down hill for me.

I collected Busiek's run (I guess V3?) - and really enjoyed it.

Tried a few things that came after (Mighty Avengers, etc) - and... just never got into it.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Pretty cool line-up.

Peace

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I'd been an avid Avengers collector since #159 - and followed them all the way through the end of Volume 1. But really, post 300 or so... they were already going down hill for me.

I collected Busiek's run (I guess V3?) - and really enjoyed it.

Tried a few things that came after (Mighty Avengers, etc) - and... just never got into it.
    The Bob Harras run with Thane Ektor and later the Gatherers was pretty much the only thing worth reading post #300, you're right. You should check some of those out though. Very underrated. Great Steve Epting art too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The REAL Avengers! Nice piece of art. I would love some of those characters back in the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    The REAL Avengers! Nice piece of art. I would love some of those characters back in the fold.
    I know what you mean, stingray. The only one's missing are Beast, Wasp & Hank Pym's Yellowjacket

The Bob Harras run with Thane Ektor and later the Gatherers was pretty much the only thing worth reading post #300, you're right. You should check some of those out though. Very underrated. Great Steve Epting art too.
    In agreement with you about Epting. Truly an unsung talent (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-06-2021 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

100% agreed. Can't wait for the conclusion of the Gatherers Saga to come out in the Epic Collection.

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]I know what you mean, stingray. The only one's missing are Beast, Wasp & Hank Pym's Yellowjacket
    In the larger view you can see the little squiggle on Thor's cape is the Wasp and an Ant-Man (can't tell if Pym or Lang, but given that he's standing with Jan, probably supposed to be Pym).

But yeah, the Beast was a classic member of this line up, so he'd be cool to see there as well.

I didn't even recognized Black Widow, at first. She had her grey outfit and short hair at that time period, so my brain was like 'who dat?'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-06-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member

In the larger view you can see the little squiggle on Thor's cape is the Wasp and an Ant-Man (can't tell if Pym or Lang, but given that he's standing with Jan, probably supposed to be Pym).

But yeah, the Beast was a classic member of this line up, so he'd be cool to see there as well.

I didn't even recognized Black Widow, at first. She had her grey outfit and short hair at that time period, so my brain was like 'who dat?'
    Didn't realize it could be enlarged when I first looked...do that and WHOA...THERE THEY ARE!!!

Thanks for catching that, Sutekh. I'll just assume then that McKone was the one who drew those two "little squiggles".

VIDEO: These Are the Marvel's Most Powerful Avengers
    In this new exclusive video, CBR ranks Marvel and the MCU's Avengers according to power.
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-mcu-aveng...werful-ranked/

Extraordinary Member

Just because I think we all need to remember that there was a T Rex with the Starbrand....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Just because I think we all need to remember that there was a T Rex with the Starbrand....
    Because, yes...

Astonishing Member

I feel the relative quiet of this thread rather points to the idea that the Avengers might need a radical overhaul (and a consistent) one)