Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kang without his mask really looks like Reed Richards here.
    Am I the only one that thought his mask was his face!?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    That's what I thought during EMH when I first ever met Kang.

Ultimate Member

I always thought it was a mask but it's not the clearest thing to discern

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I always thought it was a mask but it's not the clearest thing to discern

Absolutely, I mean most artists draw wrinkles that make it look as if it's his face

This makes me wonder if Jonathan Majors is just going to be his face 100% of the time or if he's ever going to wear a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I didn't even remenber he did that. But I'd really like to see him on an ongoing. PAD is the kind of writer who really does well on the long game, slowly developing his characters and giving us twists that we never saw comming, but end up making a lot of sense (a rare talent). He is responsible for two of my favorite super-hero teams runs, Young Justice and X-Factor (the original run. The others are good, but, IMHO don't hold a candle to the original). And his Hulk and Aquaman are legendary, of course (don't care much for his Supergirl, though).

Peace

PS: All that said, I really don't see Marvel giving him Avengers to write.
    Completely understandable. Although, it's always nice to see the "old guard" get some praise once in awhile...

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-27-2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Oh Tony. You and your relationship with the X-Men .

(Oh wait, they actually referenced Superman).

Writing an Avengers adjacent book, and The Avengers main book often can be two different things. I know that Ewing did Mighty Avengers and then The Ultimates. Ewing's ability to handle a big, balanced cast of heroes that maintains their distinctive voice sales one on the need to put him on a main Avengers book.

This makes me wonder if Jonathan Majors is just going to be his face 100% of the time or if he's ever going to wear a mask.
    Yeah I wonder too, in the statue that was shown in Loki it looked like his face and he doesn't have his head piece thing

Yeah I wonder too, in the statue that was shown in Loki it looked like his face and he doesn't have his head piece thing

That's why Karl Urban will have my eternal respect. The face is the actor's billboord. Most actors refuse to hide their profile full-time behind masks. It's sort of, you have to see it's them. That's why a hero hardly ever finishes a battle without his headgear being damaged enough for you to see who is the actor behind it. It's why Spider-man is always losing his mask in battles. One of Judge Dread's most distinctive characteristic is that he never takes his helmet off. Being a jugde is who he is, the judge persona is his one and only true face. Sylvester Stallone couldn't respect that (going as far as using blue eyes contact lenses. Why? Don't know. They had a stupid in-story explanation). Karl Urban did.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 11-28-2021 at 07:38 AM.

Not at all bro. Yeah, thought that the striped blue was Kang's face. It's perhaps the most recognizable feature about him. So when he's unmasked and looks somewhat ordinary, I'm a little underwhelmed. That's the great conqueror?! That guy?!

So I'm not too concerned that Johnathan Majors is playing Kang. As long as he plays a great character with the mask on (and he's played a great Kang without the mask as well), I'm down for that.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    That's why Karl Urban will have my eternal respect. The face is the actor's billboord. Most actors refuse to hide their profile full-time behind masks. It's sort of, you have to see it's them. That's why a hero hardly ever finishes a battle without his headgear being damaged enough for you to see who is the actor behind it. It's why Spider-man is always losing his mask in battles. One of Judge Dread's most distinctive characteristic is that he never takes his helmet off. Being a jugde is who he is, the judge persona is his one and only true face. Sylvester Stallone couldn't respect that (going as far as using blue eyes contact lenses. Why? Don't know. They had a stupid in-story explanation). Karl Urban did.

Peace
    And Pedro Pascal as the Mandalorian...

As a follow up to a post I made several months ago, I reread Bendis' run on New Avengers, specifically during the time of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign:

At the time, I didn't like the series. There were all of the Bendis tropes that bugged me, like the "real" dialogue, decompressed storytelling, and characters not acting like they were supposed to act. I didn't like the line up at the time which seemed weak at the time. Also, with this occurring during the time of OMD/BND, Spider-Man's inclusion on the team triggered me to no end.

However, after all of these years, after different changes, and letting go of certain hang-up's, I found myself REALLY enjoying Bendis' run on New Avengers. Yes the storytelling was decompressed, but that allowed the story to take its time. The dialogue could be a little too "real" but there was still some authenticity. It didn't sound as dramatic as previous comics (though when Bendis wrote the Skrulls, he showed he could go into that territory). Were there times when heroes didn't act like themselves? Sometimes, but there were also moments when the heroes drew limits. No, we wouldn't act in this way. (I wonder how some of us felt about Clint attempting to kill Norman Osborn, considering in the past Clint was adamant that Avengers didn't kill. The story seemed to indicate that Clint was driven to an extreme, but is that a legitimate excuse?) Furthermore, I really appreciated how the New Avengers found themselves in such a weak position. Constantly hiding, the threat of capture ever present, these New Avengers were the underdogs. In a way, it reminded me of Kang Dynasty.

Honesty one of the stand out moments for me was the appearance of Damian Hellstrom:

The "I don't give a f" attitude, I was marking out hard during his fight against Dormmamu. I don't know how Bendis got me to care about a B-lister like Damian Hellstrom, but he did.

So yes, I dug this little stretch of Bendis' work on the New Avengers. Highly recommended.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I think Waid was probably the last time they'd give the main Avengers book to a "classic" writer.
    While I agree that Waid is a classic writer, his run on Avengers didn't feel that way to me. I can't really explain it, but his run felt off to me somehow. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really hit the right tone of the pre-Disassembled Avengers.

I only remember Hellstrom drunk dialing Patsy...
    Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    While I agree that Waid is a classic writer, his run on Avengers didn't feel that way to me. I can't really explain it, but his run felt off to me somehow. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really hit the right tone of the pre-Disassembled Avengers.
    It felt like a transition run with the "gimmick" of being the all-new, all-different, version of the team.