Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Ok. I get that. I always liked Rhodie, and thought Beta Ray Bill was cool, but I've always felt the popular character knock-off thing was always more of a DC thing, while I love the C-list characters on the team. You could just do more with them in a team setting imo.
    Well, it's been a Marvel thing since the 70s, so I've never had a problem with the similar heroes with similar powers. Because in the end, we just get guys like Wonder Man, Nova and Hercules who have the same generic powers as everyone else anyways, but without any of the thematic and storytelling connections like between Hank Pym and Scott Lang, for instance

But I do agree about supporting the lesser known characters being a major function of teams like the Avengers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Well, it's been a Marvel thing since the 70s, so I've never had a problem with the similar heroes with similar powers. Because in the end, we just get guys like Wonder Man, Nova and Hercules who have the same generic powers as everyone else anyways, but without any of the thematic and storytelling connections like between Hank Pym and Scott Lang, for instance

But I do agree about supporting the lesser known characters being a major function of teams like the Avengers
    I'm an old guy who started reading as a kid in the mid 1960's when there weren't really any Marvel knock-offs, and it's a period in my life I have really fond memories of, so I guess I kind of idealized it in my mind. There was one Spider-Man, one Hulk and so on. You're right though. that was a long time ago!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I'm an old guy who started reading as a kid in the mid 1960's when there weren't really any Marvel knock-offs, and it's a period in my life I have really fond memories of, so I guess I kind of idealized it in my mind. There was one Spider-Man, one Hulk and so on. You're right though. that was a long time ago!
    I see. I've only read since the 90s, and I'm not a super big fan of 60s stuff, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. And even with newer ones, like Miles Morales, Wiccan, Speed, Ironheart, etc., I'm fine with those. Since they'd probably have the same powers anyway, but at least here they connect to the preceding heroes.

Avengers Forever: Marvel Debuts the Roster of Multiversal Heroes
    https://www.cbr.com/avengers-forever-multiverse-roster/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    So how does this connect to the current Avengers comics?

The storyline begins in Avengers 50/750.

Ultimate Member

The storyline begins in Avengers 50/750.
    Ok........

That's a HUGE roster. Do I see 45 heroes on there?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    About that and there could be even more (that could not fit on the cover). I love seeing Wonder Man there and his arms look humungous ( I guess from all of his recent inactivity).
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's part of the multiverse so I guess that allows for more heroes to show up, I guess

Well, I can see Jason Aaron's love for off-the-wall crazy randomness is going to permeate this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    About that and there could be even more (that could not fit on the cover). I love seeing Wonder Man there and his arms look humungous (I guess from all of his recent inactivity).
    LOL! Kinda reminds me of the animated version from...

Avengers: United They Stand
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/The_A...ted_They_Stand

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-10-2021 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I can see Jason Aaron's love for off-the-wall crazy randomness is going to permeate this book.
    I see like four people with Thor hammers, and four different shrinking Ant/Yellowjacket/Pym/Wasp sort of people (at least one of which is actually Tony Stark?). Man, this sort of AU mixing and matching normally, fun new twists on old concepts, smashing the chocolate right into the peanut butter, is *exactly* my cup of tea, but this art is pretty terrible, and Jason Aaron's recent work leaves me thinking that I'll skip this one, because he just has been consistently disappointing for the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! Kinda reminds me of the animated version from...

Avengers: United They Stand
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/The_A...ted_They_Stand

Jeez, that show's designs weren't very recognisable were they? Vision looks like he has some blue on his costume, probably intended to be bare silver parts, but he's actually supposed to red underneath his costume, which should be only green and yellow. Scarlet Witch's costume and hair look miscoloured (should be red/pink and not purple, and auburn and not black). Falcon isn't showing nearly as much bare flesh as he did at the time (he changed that after his Captain America stint). Wonder Man's costume is accurate but his body shape almost looks like a Hulk. Tigra you can't see fully on that picture, but her hair looks much shorter than in the comics. Comics Hawkeye's classic cowl covers up his hair, which his costume in UTS didn't. He also seems to be more hi-tech. And while Wasp has had many different costumes, that long ponytail is definitely out of character, as Janet's hair in the comics is usually bobbed or cropped. The wings don't look right either.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That Avengers Forever cover actually looks good. It's a shame it's another Avengers book written by Aaron.
    Multiversal Avengers as a concept has tons of potential. I'd just have picked another name (because Avengers Forever should be Busiek's baby) and another writer. Kuder is a great pick, thought.
    Imagine something like Avengers Infinity by Busiek or PAD/Duggan and art by Aaron Kuder ��