Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I miss Avengers Mansion.
    Me too. It had a nice charm to it. The tower was too sterile.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I miss Avengers Mansion.
    As do I, Frontier! Can't wait for it to come back...

Spectacular Member

As a life long Captain America and Avengers fan, I will hold out hope that whomever takes up the book, and I’m not calling for Aaron’s ouster, his arcs have been hit or miss with me, I hope the team will give the book a back to basics feel to it. Jarvis, the Mansion, even Hydrobase, quinjets, etc. I have the same hope for a new volume of Cap. One with some political issues and intrigue that doesn’t involve the Red Skull for a change, nor does Steve Rogers give up the role as it seems to happen every few years now. In the 70’s and 80’s, it was fun. These days more redundant, but I’m cynical and in a severe ‘been there, read that’ love/hate relationship with comics over the last few years. But that’s my .02…

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    As a life long Captain America and Avengers fan, I will hold out hope that whomever takes up the book, and I’m not calling for Aaron’s ouster, his arcs have been hit or miss with me, I hope the team will give the book a back to basics feel to it. Jarvis, the Mansion, even Hydrobase, quinjets, etc. I have the same hope for a new volume of Cap. One with some political issues and intrigue that doesn’t involve the Red Skull for a change, nor does Steve Rogers give up the role as it seems to happen every few years now. In the 70’s and 80’s, it was fun. These days more redundant, but I’m cynical and in a severe ‘been there, read that’ love/hate relationship with comics over the last few years. But that’s my .02…
    I've been waiting years for a great solo Cap run, Waid's run was okay but it felt like a stop gap.

what has happened in the latest issues? Who are the major villains being focused on now?

I miss Avengers Mansion.
    Same here. And Jarvis. I guess the Avengers once had an appeal that is no longer marketable in today's more "enlighted" days. It reeks of privilage (white or not). A lot of well to do guys and gals (billionaires, heiresses, kings, princes and princesses) living in a mansion being waited in hand by a butler. I guess it's too much of a 60's, at the most of a yuppies' 80's, world view. Still, I miss it.

Peace

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I've been waiting years for a great solo Cap run, Waid's run was okay but it felt like a stop gap.
    Both of Waid’s runs were excellent. Garney and Kubert both gave the art a gritty look and feel to it, which I (probably alone,) enjoyed. But I’m an old school Aparo, Byrne, Romita JR. fan for their artwork, which people deride. I’m not hoping for a Brubaker redux or anything, or even Kurt Busiek, but someone with an old school mentality that can do a mix of contemporary issues as well as the political spectrum, spies and the like, without making Cap a ‘woke’ pussy. Delve into Punisher territory with human trafficking, fentanyl smuggling, but gimme Crossbones, a corrupt crime syndicate, Senators on the Commission that stripped Steve of his title under Gruenwald. The Serpents. Where’s Diamondback these days for some sexual tension, or Songbird. Keep things icy between Stark and Steve like two differing brothers. Spill that tension over into the Avengers. A Thor adventure versus the Wrecking Crew and Asgard, in whatever form that realm is in. I am behind in my reading so I’m not familiar with Cates and his direction. I’m just spitballing but there’s all kinds of ways to play with the book without the Red Skull, who like the Joker, and Doctor Doom, need a plot device timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    Both of Waid’s runs were excellent. Garney and Kubert both gave the art a gritty look and feel to it, which I (probably alone,) enjoyed. But I’m an old school Aparo, Byrne, Romita JR. fan for their artwork, which people deride. I’m not hoping for a Brubaker redux or anything, or even Kurt Busiek, but someone with an old school mentality that can do a mix of contemporary issues as well as the political spectrum, spies and the like, without making Cap a ‘woke’ pussy. Delve into Punisher territory with human trafficking, fentanyl smuggling, but gimme Crossbones, a corrupt crime syndicate, Senators on the Commission that stripped Steve of his title under Gruenwald. The Serpents. Where’s Diamondback these days for some sexual tension, or Songbird. Keep things icy between Stark and Steve like two differing brothers. Spill that tension over into the Avengers. A Thor adventure versus the Wrecking Crew and Asgard, in whatever form that realm is in. I am behind in my reading so I’m not familiar with Cates and his direction. I’m just spitballing but there’s all kinds of ways to play with the book without the Red Skull, who like the Joker, and Doctor Doom, need a plot device timeout.
    The first Waid and Garney run, sadly interrupted by Liefield's Heroes Reborn drivel, was, IMHO, top-notch. The best! The second time around, while still OK, for me, lost a bit of its magic. I agree about the Red Skull. Over the years, Cap has ammassed quite an interesting rogue's gallery (and most of the merit, in this, goes to Gruenwald). The Serpent Society, Crossbones, Flag Smasher, Arim Zola, Dr. Faust, his other countries counterparts such as Red Guardian, Captain Britain or Union Jack, Guardian, Hauptmann Deutschland, old Nazi villains like Master Man, Warrior Woman, Baron Blood... There really is quite a large list of foes that Cap can tackle without bringing in the Skull. Even Zemo, I find more interesting.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 11-30-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Agreed. I think Zub really needs to be given the title. Let him choose his own roster (no editorial saying that certain characters have to be on the team), and give him at least 12 issue guaranteed, or even better 25. Let him build up his story and don't just take it away from him before it has a chance to come to fruition, like with Thunderbolts and Champions.
    Actually Jim Zub said based on his previous tweet, he said if he got to write a solo Main Avengers run, he will bring more Scarlet Witch and Wonder Man since he have some different plans for the character roles.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I thought the Tower was okay (way better than Avengers Compound) but it just didn't quite have the right feel to me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yep. I loved Avengers Mansion, and some of my favorite issues from back in the day were when the team just sat around and interacted with each other while Jarvis served them tea. Lots of great character moments, intertwined with some great punch ups! I didn't really mind Hydrobase either for some reason. Probably because Stingray was always hanging around!

I think that when Jason Aaron's run ends, that there will follow a third part of the No Surrender/Far From Home storyline, which will probably begin the next volume of Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    You didn't like Brubaker's run on Cap?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    You didn't like Brubaker's run on Cap?
    I loved it, but that came out 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I think that when Jason Aaron's run ends, that there will follow a third part of the No Surrender/Far From Home storyline, which will probably begin the next volume of Avengers.
    I wouldn't mind that, especially if it showcases many of the same members (Herc, Monica, Wanda, Vizh, Wonder Man, Voyager etc...) and has some of the same creators. No Surrender was, IMho, better than Far From Home, but I enjoyed both.

Peace