Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
Not at all bro. Yeah, thought that the striped blue was Kang's face. It's perhaps the most recognizable feature about him. So when he's unmasked and looks somewhat ordinary, I'm a little underwhelmed. That's the great conqueror?! That guy?!

So I'm not too concerned that Johnathan Majors is playing Kang. As long as he plays a great character with the mask on (and he's played a great Kang without the mask as well), I'm down for that.
Yeah me too, I say why cover that beautiful face and those luscious lips

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
As a follow up to a post I made several months ago, I reread Bendis' run on New Avengers, specifically during the time of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign:

At the time, I didn't like the series. There were all of the Bendis tropes that bugged me, like the "real" dialogue, decompressed storytelling, and characters not acting like they were supposed to act. I didn't like the line up at the time which seemed weak at the time. Also, with this occurring during the time of OMD/BND, Spider-Man's inclusion on the team triggered me to no end.

However, after all of these years, after different changes, and letting go of certain hang-up's, I found myself REALLY enjoying Bendis' run on New Avengers. Yes the storytelling was decompressed, but that allowed the story to take its time. The dialogue could be a little too "real" but there was still some authenticity. It didn't sound as dramatic as previous comics (though when Bendis wrote the Skrulls, he showed he could go into that territory). Were there times when heroes didn't act like themselves? Sometimes, but there were also moments when the heroes drew limits. No, we wouldn't act in this way. (I wonder how some of us felt about Clint attempting to kill Norman Osborn, considering in the past Clint was adamant that Avengers didn't kill. The story seemed to indicate that Clint was driven to an extreme, but is that a legitimate excuse?) Furthermore, I really appreciated how the New Avengers found themselves in such a weak position. Constantly hiding, the threat of capture ever present, these New Avengers were the underdogs. In a way, it reminded me of Kang Dynasty.

The "I don't give a f" attitude, I was marking out hard during his fight against Dormmamu. I don't know how Bendis got me to care about a B-lister like Damian Hellstrom, but he did.

So yes, I dug this little stretch of Bendis' work on the New Avengers. Highly recommended.
I don't care what people say I will always regard Bendis' New Avengers work top tier; sure his later stuff became really bad but when he started New Avengers all the way up to Siege that is top tier storytelling.

All of the status quo changes felt natural (even if some people think certain characters got shafted), and the Marvel Universe felt exciting and unpredictable (the exact opposite of now where we you can predict what will have simply by looking at the MCU movie slate).

Bendis made the Avengers feel "new" (pun intended) and no longer stodgy and old hat.

I mean all respect to Busiek and everyone before, but for younger readers having that widescreen action with Wolvie, Spidey, Luke, and the rest was awesome, and the dialogue was snappy and quick which for a younger reader (like myself at the time) was great.

Not only that but the cadre of superstar artists Bendis had was really unbelievable.

So yeah I like Bendis' New Avengers run too