Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Final thoughts for the night, really impressed when War Machine went up against Exodus. In the 90s, War Machine was pretty cool, but yeah, he was an Avenger. But here he is, taking it to an X-villain:

Again, back then, you didn't expect this much of a fight from an Avenger during the 90s. But again, here you go, Rhodes takes it straight to this seemingly unstoppable mutant bad guy.

For me, that's why I still like the Avengers, because part of me feels they can't pull it off. But they prove me wrong and pull it off!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 02-01-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Many awesome moments from Ultron Unlimited. Now, I posted Thor's iconic "Words with thee" line, but one of my favorite moments was this:

Liked it because it showed the "against the odds" nature of the Avengers. Even with the Big Three, combined with the epicness of Black Panther and the firepower of Firestar (come to think of it, a lot of writers forget that Angelica was a key member of the Avengers during this fight), they're hopelessly outnumbered...but they still fight on!
    Ultron Unlimited is definitely a classic, and I'm in agreement with you about it having many awesome moments.
    A personal favorite would be Pym's revelation about Ultron's brain patterns...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The Avengers? Pfft.

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Avengers? Pfft.

Jason Aaron approved post .

"And there came a day unlike any other, when earth's mightiest heroes were united against a common threat! On that day the Avengers were born! -- To fight the foes no single hero could withstand! Through the years their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then - for now Avengers assemble!"

Whether they be West Coast, Uncanny, Mighty, New, or just plain, the Avengers have been earth's mightiest heroes for nearly 60 years! Here, show your appreciation for one of the best teams in the Marvel Universe and comics in general!

when being an Avenger really meant something. I miss these Avengers. It was really a great team.
    Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    West Coast Avengers, especially Byrne's run, is my favorite incarnation of the Avengers. Byrne was a pro with super heroes.

Strange, although, in general, I'm against various Avengers teams (it cheapens the concept, IMHO), the WCA seemed diferent. It was not as if they were another team, but an extension of the main one. Indeed during much of it's run, WCA was my favorite book.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The big split in how people view the Avengers is whether it's a book about the big guns of Marvel (Cap, Thor and Iron Man) with some supporting characters thrown in, or if it's a book about a core cast of B-list characters like the Wasp, Hank Pym, Vision and the Scarlet Witch.

Hickman, Waid and Aaron's runs, in their own ways, all were based around the idea that the Avengers is an all-star book. I would like to see them symbolically kick the Big Three off the team, use characters like Black Panther and Captain Marvel and maybe even Spider-Man to provide the star power, and bring the B-listers and the classic Avengers mythology back to the book.

It won't happen, of course. But 2021 is a good year to hope for better things that may not happen.
    Often times, they're a combination of:

1) Big Guns (Cap, Iron Man, Thor)
    2) second-string mainstays (Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Vision)
    3) Whichever second-string characters the writer wants to play around with (Firestar, Beast, Luke Cage, and about a million others)

Final thoughts for the night, really impressed when War Machine went up against Exodus. In the 90s, War Machine was pretty cool, but yeah, he was an Avenger. But here he is, taking it to an X-villain:

Again, back then, you didn't expect this much of a fight from an Avenger during the 90s. But again, here you go, Rhodes takes it straight to this seemingly unstoppable mutant bad guy.

For me, that's why I still like the Avengers, because part of me feels they can't pull it off. But they prove me wrong and pull it off!
    This reminds me of watching War Machine on the 90's cartoons.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of watching War Machine on the 90's cartoons.
    Except that the color of his armor is much darker (if we're only talking about the improved 2nd season, of course)...

War Machine - Season 2
    (Light-grayish colored armor)

IMHO, the animation greatly improved. But for some reason, Rhodey's armor became this weird color.

War Machine - Season 1
    (Extremely dark-colored armor)

The animation was horrendous, but the one thing they got right was Rhodey's armor.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-17-2021 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

LOVED Dave Ross and Tim Dzon's art on WCA. So powerful. IMHO, a vastly underrated art team.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOVED Dave Ross and Tim Dzon's art on WCA. So powerful. IMHO, a vastly underrated art team.

Peace
    Agreed. I don't know for the life of me, why Dave Ross didn't become a major superstar.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Of all these, most of them have appeared in the MCU. (I’m counting Thundestrike Thor and Janet Wasp)
    With Mockingbird and Crystal appearing on TV.

The exceptions being Wonder Man, Julia Carpenter, Living Lightning, Hercules and Starfox. Interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Ultron Unlimited is definitely a classic, and I'm in agreement with you about it having many awesome moments.
    A personal favorite would be Pym's revelation about Ultron's brain patterns...

I remember having to put the book down, and let the moment breathe after Hank's revelation, lol.

King in Black so far has better Avengers moments than the recent run of Avengers...

Man, this issue broke me, I await Aaron leaving this book.

Incredible Member

Howard the Duck..... Noooooooooooo........