Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    As one of the few posters on this board who doesn't think Aaron's Avengers is some type of crime against comics i'll be shocked if he isn't done with the story he's trying to tell by the end of 2022 or sooner. I could possibly see Marvel trying to go for Avengers # 700 but that would require a rather aggressive shipping schedule at this point.
    Man, in the beginning of the run I was hyped because of the goodwill Aaron got from me because of Thor; but it fell off a cliff pretty quickly.

Nevertheless, I would be kinda surprised if he stayed on until mid 2022; the title has been treading water with outlandish plot points.

I'm still waiting for Avengers One Million Arc

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I guess so, but that's every female character. Why is one less like that such an affront, especially when these characters came around in even more sexist times? Why exactly is She-Hulk "sexy" but Hulk isn't?
    That's not the issue, though. She-Hulk has built up a very defined personality over many decades in comics, as a fun-loving person who enjoys being big and green. That personality comes through regardless of how her body is drawn (as long as it's big and it's green). Aaron threw out her personality and substituted a different one, so of course people are annoyed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That's not the issue, though. She-Hulk has built up a very defined personality over many decades in comics, as a fun-loving person who enjoys being big and green. That personality comes through regardless of how her body is drawn (as long as it's big and it's green). Aaron threw out her personality and substituted a different one, so of course people are annoyed.
    Ok, I understand not liking that. But I have seen online comments complaining she's not "hot" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Man, in the beginning of the run I was hyped because of the goodwill Aaron got from me because of Thor; but it fell off a cliff pretty quickly.
    I know we have two very different opinions on Aaron's Thor run, but I feel like the issues I found with that one have become even more glaring in his Avengers run.
    Ok, I understand not liking that. But I have seen online comments complaining she's not "hot" anymore.
    Doesn't mean people don't have valid complaints about his handling of She-Hulk.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

If issue 10 from the current run was issue 700, how is 50 the 750th anniversary issue? Did they include No Way Home in with the current volume?

I also hope that Aaron getting a co-writer will be an ongoing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know we have two very different opinions on Aaron's Thor run, but I feel like the issues I found with that one have become even more glaring in his Avengers run.
    I think I am more forgiving with his Thor run, because it was contained to one character and one run. You can read his Thor run from beginning to end as a cohesive whole with the caveat that you forget everything that came before it.

I think most have an issue with his Thor run if they look at continuity, I never cared about his continuity so I am not that affected by his "mischaracterization"

You're totally right about the Avengers because now his mischaracterizations have come to roost and his current ideas are so juvenile. I mean I get that comics are for kids and blah blah, but I mean come on we can handle a little seriousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    If issue 10 from the current run was issue 700, how is 50 the 750th anniversary issue? Did they include No Way Home in with the current volume?

I also hope that Aaron getting a co-writer will be an ongoing thing.
    Yes they did

Ultimate Member

Doesn't mean people don't have valid complaints about his handling of She-Hulk.
    I didn't disagree with valid complaints. But that's not what I'm getting at. I don't think complaining about her not having a stereotypical appearance is valid.

I didn't disagree with valid complaints. But that's not what I'm getting at. I don't think complaining about her not having a stereotypical appearance is valid.
    I don't think it's a matter of talking about her having a stereotypical appearance so much as her personality and characterization were tied to her design and looks and the hamfisted rebuke of that and opposite portrayal just doesn't fit the character.

Ultimate Member

I don't think it's a matter of talking about her having a stereotypical appearance so much as her personality and characterization were tied to her design and looks and the hamfisted rebuke of that and opposite portrayal just doesn't fit the character.
    But they're only tied to that design because she was made that way in the first place because she's female.

But they're only tied to that design because she was made that way in the first place because she's female.
    Regardless it's part of who her character is in various ways.

Ultimate Member

Regardless it's part of who her character is in various ways.
    Yeah, I got that part. But honestly, she can still be the same personality without looking like every other oversexualized female superhero. Unless somehow women who don't look a certain way can't have that personality, for some reason.

Regardless, I can't really sympathize with fans who complain whenever a female comic book character isn't hot enough for them.

Yeah, I got that part. But honestly, she can still be the same personality without looking like every other oversexualized female superhero. Unless somehow women who don't look a certain way can't have that personality, for some reason.

Regardless, I can't really sympathize with fans who complain whenever a female comic book character isn't hot enough for them.
    I'm not saying they can't, just that it's established that the classic or normal visual for She-Hulk, regardless of the fact that it's attractive, informs her personality and how she views her powers and the contrast with the "plain jane" Jennifer Walters.

Ultimate Member

I'm not saying they can't, just that it's established that the classic or normal visual for She-Hulk, regardless of the fact that it's attractive, informs her personality and how she views her powers and the contrast with the "plain jane" Jennifer Walters.
    Characters change all the time, though. Why do people complain just when they're not attractive? I mean, if she wasn't just another generically sexy superheroine, she could still otherwise have the same personality. And a lot of these concepts, like being a "plain jane", are just subjective and based on cultural attitudes.

Characters change all the time, though. Why do people complain just when they're not attractive? I mean, if she wasn't just another generically sexy superheroine, she could still otherwise have the same personality. And a lot of these concepts, like being a "plain jane", are just subjective and based on cultural attitudes.
    People complain about character changes regardless of their attractiveness but again I feel like you're missing my point about the criticism of the changes being done to Jennifer and what the point of her Hulk transformation is supposed to be. Like, that's kind of an integral element of the character.