Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Jen's attractiveness was also toned down during Tamaki's run but it was part of a larger story about coping with trauma and loss. Aaron just turns Jen into Savage Hulk for no reason which is why he gets so much criticism compared to Tamaki.

People like Sharon Ventura even though she's in Thing-form.

A lot of people on this site dislike Emma Frost even though she's one of the most attractive female characters at Marvel because Morrison made her have an affair with Scott Summers.
    "Cable was right!"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People complain about character changes regardless of their attractiveness but again I feel like you're missing my point about the criticism of the changes being done to Jennifer and what the point of her Hulk transformation is supposed to be. Like, that's kind of an integral element of the character.
    I'm just questioning whether it is that integral, or whether fans just don't like changes. I think you're saying she can't have the same personality if she's ugly, but I'm just wondering if that's true

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'm just questioning whether it is that integral, or whether fans just don't like changes. I think you're saying she can't have the same personality if she's ugly, but I'm just wondering if that's true
    How do you view the character of She-Hulk, out of curiosity?

Ultimate Member

How do you view the character of She-Hulk, out of curiosity?
    More at peace with herself than Bruce Banner, able to better interact with the average person

More at peace with herself than Bruce Banner, able to better interact with the average person
    I don't disagree, but there's a reason she's more comfortable with her Hulk form and in how she interacts with people than Bruce is.

Ultimate Member

I don't disagree, but there's a reason she's more comfortable with her Hulk form and in how she interacts with people than Bruce is.
    And I can see how her more normal form informs that, but that still doesn't require her to be sexualized so much.

And I can see how her more normal form informs that, but that still doesn't require her to be sexualized so much.
    I don't think it's so much required as it informs why she prefers her She-Hulk form so much (not deliberate sexualization but that she enjoys looking like a bombshell and being super strong).

Ultimate Member

I don't think it's so much required as it informs why she prefers her She-Hulk form so much (not deliberate sexualization but that she enjoys looking like a bombshell and being super strong).
    I get that but every female character (except Aunt May) looks like that. I feel he's only "hot" because female = hot in comic book land, especially back then when she first appeared, whereas regular Hulk gets to be a monster because he's a guy. So if it changes for her after all these years, I'm not exactly bothered by it, and I don't really sympathize with that specific complaint. her personality is more important to me.

I get that but every female character (except Aunt May) looks like that. I feel he's only "hot" because female = hot in comic book land, especially back then when she first appeared, whereas regular Hulk gets to be a monster because he's a guy. So if it changes for her after all these years, I'm not exactly bothered by it, and I don't really sympathize with that specific complaint. her personality is more important to me.
    I understand your personal preference but I feel that, again, her looks are tied to her personality and how she feels about her Hulk form. It's not just because guy/girl because, compared to Bruce, Jen's form is supposed to be a female power fantasy and not a tragic monster.

And it's a moot point for Aaron because he barely writes her with her normal personality in favor of generic Hulk dialogue.

Ultimate Member

I understand your personal preference but I feel that, again, her looks are tied to her personality and how she feels about her Hulk form. It's not just because guy/girl because, compared to Bruce, Jen's form is supposed to be a female power fantasy and not a tragic monster.

And it's a moot point for Aaron because he barely writes her with her normal personality in favor of generic Hulk dialogue.
    Is it a female power fantasy written from the point of view of a man, or a woman? Because I can't be sure. Not every woman wants to look like that, and that concept of beauty is informed by an androcentric (and Eurocentric) viewpoint anyway. So I'm a little skeptical about "men writing women" (I'm sure you've heard of that trope).

All in all, I don't dislike the old version, but I don't agree with people who complain she's not hot. Her personality is the main thing, but if she's not "sexy", I don't care.

Is it a female power fantasy written from the point of view of a man, or a woman? Because I can't be sure. Not every woman wants to look like that, and that concept of beauty is informed by an androcentric (and Eurocentric) viewpoint anyway. So I'm a little skeptical about "men writing women" (I'm sure you've heard of that trope).

All in all, I don't dislike the old version, but I don't agree with people who complain she's not hot. Her personality is the main thing, but if she's not "sexy", I don't care.
    I don't think it's purely just a power fantasy from a male POV for a woman to want to feel strong, attractive, and appealing. I guess we could debate the nitty gritty of how that could look or be depicted but ultimately I think in a visual sense there can be enough commonality.

The most popular portrayals of She-Hulk were written by men, although I don't think they wrote her disingenuous to her gender or so she could appeal just to males.

So you don't think her She-Hulk form informs her personality, at all?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I might be getting my answer apparently issue 750 is about the origins of Avengers One Million

https://www.gamesradar.com/avengers-...review-covers/

This seems like Aaron's final arc but lets see

Final arc? It think it is close to final year

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I might be getting my answer apparently issue 750 is about the origins of Avengers One Million

https://www.gamesradar.com/avengers-...review-covers/

This seems like Aaron's final arc but lets see
    I guess it's all been building up to this (more or less).

I wonder when he's going to finish the storyline with Mephisto, Howard and Tony?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark