Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    What about Vita Ayala as the writer?
    They wrote the X-Men being pretty dismissive of The Avengers in CoTA from what I recall.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They wrote the X-Men being pretty dismissive of The Avengers in CoTA from what I recall.
    As opposed to Ewing’s “Avengers are cops/grasping & jealous posers to be shamed by the real Marvel characters” in Immortal Hulk, and people still want him

None of the options will be writing Avengers for anything more than a pay check, but we can at least hope for new perspectives; because god knows the Avengers are going to need to adapt if they are back to being the Red headed stepchild

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    As opposed to Ewing’s “Avengers are cops/grasping & jealous posers to be shamed by the real Marvel characters” in Immortal Hulk, and people still want him

None of the options will be writing Avengers for anything more than a pay check, but we can at least hope for new perspectives; because god knows the Avengers are going to need to adapt if they are back to being the Red headed stepchild
    Well, Ewing's written Avengers books before but I guess that just goes to show how much a writers work on certain characters can tailor their depiction of others.

The Avengers are too popular to be a red-headed stepchild even when their runs aren't doing so hot and it's just Marvel letting an A-list writer run wild. The same thing happens to Justice League. But at the very least I want someone on the title who actually cares about the franchise and its history.

Who should take over Avengers?

Kurt Busiek
    Al Ewing
    Jim Zub
    Peter David
    Jim Starlin
    Kelly Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Who should take over Avengers?

Kurt Busiek
    Al Ewing
    Jim Zub
    Peter David
    Jim Starlin
    Kelly Thompson
    I would LOVE to see PAD's take on the Avengers. Certainly would be different.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Ewing, definitely. Busiek is great but he's already said what he has to say. Zub is good but Ewing is even better and his continuity-conscious approach is exactly what a book like "Avengers" needs and hasn't had in years.

Ewing has earned the main book, though if he gets it and Wanda isn't on the team, I'll forget I ever said that.

Hey all. Just wanted to post some thoughts. Over the past several weeks, I've been rereading old Avengers storylines and runs. I've definitely looked at them in a new light. The first of which was Kang Dynasty:

This was the final storyline that Busiek wrote on his run on the title. At the time it was published, I remember a sense of awkwardness around it. It started out with such fanfare and promise. Busiek and Alan Davis seemed to hitting all cylinders with the story and art. Kang was this force that showed he could easily take over the world (and he did). That scene where he destroyed the U.N. building shocked me. However, many things got in the way of me enjoying it. The story seemed to drag on and on. Alan Davis left the title and numerous artists had to fill in. My biggest gripe was the disconnect with the rest of the Marvel Universe. In this storyline, Kang was taking over the world. Yet Thor becoming king of Asgard, Iron Man changing armors, Morrison's X-Men run, these things didn't show up in the story. Today, Kang Dynasty would have been it's own blockbuster event series with dozens of tie-in's. Back then, however, it seemed to be in it's own separate corner of the universe.

Reading it back now, I certainly appreciate it more. Kang shows how much of a conqueror he can be in this storyline. He's observant, dominant, and confident and forces the Avengers in positions of weakness and even humiliation. However, the Avengers show this underdog kind of spirit. Even knocked down, they aren't knocked out. Instead, through persistence and a little bit of luck, they win out in the end. Furthermore, the Avengers team included some B-listers at the time who really shined. Yes, there were Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Warbird, and Wonder Man. But then there were Black Knight, Living Lighting, Firebird, Silverclaw, and Stingray. Those guys had their moments, really good and emotional ones too.

I saw this particular scene, the final battle between Cap and Kang, in a new light:

At the time, I didn't get it. Teenage me wanted to see a knock down, drag out, issue long match between these two warriors. What I got were just a few panels and quick knock out from Cap. But adult me sees the real message here. Kang is not some conqueror. He isn't "badass" or "cool." In this scene, he's pathetic and delusional who doesn't deserve respect, let alone Cap's. Cap admires those who uplift, heal, and build. In one fight, I learned much about both characters.

So, back in the day, a lot of flaws prevented me from enjoying this. Today, however, I can look past those flaws. And what I found was a really great Avengers story.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I would LOVE to see PAD's take on the Avengers. Certainly would be different.

Peace
    Indeed. If Heroes Reborn: The Return is any indication, then PAD gets my utmost support (XD)

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hey all. Just wanted to post some thoughts. Over the past several weeks, I've been rereading old Avengers storylines and runs. I've definitely looked at them in a new light. The first of which was Kang Dynasty:

This was the final storyline that Busiek wrote on his run on the title. At the time it was published, I remember a sense of awkwardness around it. It started out with such fanfare and promise. Busiek and Alan Davis seemed to hitting all cylinders with the story and art. Kang was this force that showed he could easily take over the world (and he did). That scene where he destroyed the U.N. building shocked me. However, many things got in the way of me enjoying it. The story seemed to drag on and on. Alan Davis left the title and numerous artists had to fill in. My biggest gripe was the disconnect with the rest of the Marvel Universe. In this storyline, Kang was taking over the world. Yet Thor becoming king of Asgard, Iron Man changing armors, Morrison's X-Men run, these things didn't show up in the story. Today, Kang Dynasty would have been it's own blockbuster event series with dozens of tie-in's. Back then, however, it seemed to be in it's own separate corner of the universe.

Reading it back now, I certainly appreciate it more. Kang shows how much of a conqueror he can be in this storyline. He's observant, dominant, and confident and forces the Avengers in positions of weakness and even humiliation. However, the Avengers show this underdog kind of spirit. Even knocked down, they aren't knocked out. Instead, through persistence and a little bit of luck, they win out in the end. Furthermore, the Avengers team included some B-listers at the time who really shined. Yes, there were Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Warbird, and Wonder Man. But then there were Black Knight, Living Lighting, Firebird, Silverclaw, and Stingray. Those guys had their moments, really good and emotional ones too.

I saw this particular scene, the final battle between Cap and Kang, in a new light:

At the time, I didn't get it. Teenage me wanted to see a knock down, drag out, issue long match between these two warriors. What I got were just a few panels and quick knock out from Cap. But adult me sees the real message here. Kang is not some conqueror. He isn't "badass" or "cool." In this scene, he's pathetic and delusional who doesn't deserve respect, let alone Cap's. Cap admires those who uplift, heal, and build. In one fight, I learned much about both characters.

So, back in the day, a lot of flaws prevented me from enjoying this. Today, however, I can look past those flaws. And what I found was a really great Avengers story.
    Kang without his mask really looks like Reed Richards here.

True, it does. I always thought Kang had a blue face. With lines down it. Huh, who knew it was a mask of sorts?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    One of my all-time favorite. Though I still think Avengers Forever was Busiek's best take on Kang.

Actually, he is the spitting image of Immortus!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. If Heroes Reborn: The Return is any indication, then PAD gets my utmost support (XD)

I didn't even remenber he did that. But I'd really like to see him on an ongoing. PAD is the kind of writer who really does well on the long game, slowly developing his characters and giving us twists that we never saw comming, but end up making a lot of sense (a rare talent). He is responsible for two of my favorite super-hero teams runs, Young Justice and X-Factor (the original run. The others are good, but, IMHO don't hold a candle to the original). And his Hulk and Aquaman are legendary, of course (don't care much for his Supergirl, though).

Peace

PS: All that said, I really don't see Marvel giving him Avengers to write.

I think Waid was probably the last time they'd give the main Avengers book to a "classic" writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Actually, he is the spitting image of Immortus!

Peace
    That too .

Well, he was supposed to be a future descendant of Nathaniel Richards.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Well, he was supposed to be a future descendant of Nathaniel Richards.
    So not too surprising then .