Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Not at all bro. Yeah, thought that the striped blue was Kang's face. It's perhaps the most recognizable feature about him. So when he's unmasked and looks somewhat ordinary, I'm a little underwhelmed. That's the great conqueror?! That guy?!

So I'm not too concerned that Johnathan Majors is playing Kang. As long as he plays a great character with the mask on (and he's played a great Kang without the mask as well), I'm down for that.
    Yeah me too, I say why cover that beautiful face and those luscious lips

As a follow up to a post I made several months ago, I reread Bendis' run on New Avengers, specifically during the time of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign:

At the time, I didn't like the series. There were all of the Bendis tropes that bugged me, like the "real" dialogue, decompressed storytelling, and characters not acting like they were supposed to act. I didn't like the line up at the time which seemed weak at the time. Also, with this occurring during the time of OMD/BND, Spider-Man's inclusion on the team triggered me to no end.

However, after all of these years, after different changes, and letting go of certain hang-up's, I found myself REALLY enjoying Bendis' run on New Avengers. Yes the storytelling was decompressed, but that allowed the story to take its time. The dialogue could be a little too "real" but there was still some authenticity. It didn't sound as dramatic as previous comics (though when Bendis wrote the Skrulls, he showed he could go into that territory). Were there times when heroes didn't act like themselves? Sometimes, but there were also moments when the heroes drew limits. No, we wouldn't act in this way. (I wonder how some of us felt about Clint attempting to kill Norman Osborn, considering in the past Clint was adamant that Avengers didn't kill. The story seemed to indicate that Clint was driven to an extreme, but is that a legitimate excuse?) Furthermore, I really appreciated how the New Avengers found themselves in such a weak position. Constantly hiding, the threat of capture ever present, these New Avengers were the underdogs. In a way, it reminded me of Kang Dynasty.

The "I don't give a f" attitude, I was marking out hard during his fight against Dormmamu. I don't know how Bendis got me to care about a B-lister like Damian Hellstrom, but he did.

So yes, I dug this little stretch of Bendis' work on the New Avengers. Highly recommended.
    I don't care what people say I will always regard Bendis' New Avengers work top tier; sure his later stuff became really bad but when he started New Avengers all the way up to Siege that is top tier storytelling.

All of the status quo changes felt natural (even if some people think certain characters got shafted), and the Marvel Universe felt exciting and unpredictable (the exact opposite of now where we you can predict what will have simply by looking at the MCU movie slate).

Bendis made the Avengers feel "new" (pun intended) and no longer stodgy and old hat.

I mean all respect to Busiek and everyone before, but for younger readers having that widescreen action with Wolvie, Spidey, Luke, and the rest was awesome, and the dialogue was snappy and quick which for a younger reader (like myself at the time) was great.

Not only that but the cadre of superstar artists Bendis had was really unbelievable.

So yeah I like Bendis' New Avengers run too

EMH kind of spoiled me on what the Avengers should be so it's hard for me to go back to the Bendis era even though it was when I first started reading the Avengers in print.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Am I the only one that thought his mask was his face!?
    I did the first time I saw him, but it wasn't very long after that I got one of those issues which explained that Kang, Immortus, and Rama Tut were all the same person.

Having said that, Kang didn't really have a back story until years after his first appearance, I wonder if when Kirby designed him, the blue mask was indeed supposed to be his face.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-28-2021 at 07:42 PM.

I don't care what people say I will always regard Bendis' New Avengers work top tier; sure his later stuff became really bad but when he started New Avengers all the way up to Siege that is top tier storytelling.

All of the status quo changes felt natural (even if some people think certain characters got shafted), and the Marvel Universe felt exciting and unpredictable (the exact opposite of now where we you can predict what will have simply by looking at the MCU movie slate).

Bendis made the Avengers feel "new" (pun intended) and no longer stodgy and old hat.

I mean all respect to Busiek and everyone before, but for younger readers having that widescreen action with Wolvie, Spidey, Luke, and the rest was awesome, and the dialogue was snappy and quick which for a younger reader (like myself at the time) was great.

Not only that but the cadre of superstar artists Bendis had was really unbelievable.

Ha, yes thanks for the comments. I said before how I liked Busiek's run because it sounded like adults having a conversation, that there was real maturity and level-headedness. I get though that in the midst of craziness, sometimes you can't have one of those conversations.

Yeah, Bendis' run during Secret Invasion and Dark Reign was great. Comparing what would happen during his later run on the title, during the Heroic Age, eh, it fell somewhat flat.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Ha, yes thanks for the comments. I said before how I liked Busiek's run because it sounded like adults having a conversation, that there was real maturity and level-headedness. I get though that in the midst of craziness, sometimes you can't have one of those conversations.

Yeah, Bendis' run during Secret Invasion and Dark Reign was great. Comparing what would happen during his later run on the title, during the Heroic Age, eh, it fell somewhat flat.
    I wish he left after Siege because this is exactly where Bendis' bad habits started and where he really started spinning his wheels.

Siege was such a great finale to everything he was working on and you can really tell that after he was just treading water and not adding anything new to both Avengers titles.

As a follow up to a post I made several months ago, I reread Bendis' run on New Avengers, specifically during the time of Secret Invasion and Dark Reign:

At the time, I didn't like the series. There were all of the Bendis tropes that bugged me, like the "real" dialogue, decompressed storytelling, and characters not acting like they were supposed to act. I didn't like the line up at the time which seemed weak at the time. Also, with this occurring during the time of OMD/BND, Spider-Man's inclusion on the team triggered me to no end.

However, after all of these years, after different changes, and letting go of certain hang-up's, I found myself REALLY enjoying Bendis' run on New Avengers. Yes the storytelling was decompressed, but that allowed the story to take its time. The dialogue could be a little too "real" but there was still some authenticity. It didn't sound as dramatic as previous comics (though when Bendis wrote the Skrulls, he showed he could go into that territory). Were there times when heroes didn't act like themselves? Sometimes, but there were also moments when the heroes drew limits. No, we wouldn't act in this way. (I wonder how some of us felt about Clint attempting to kill Norman Osborn, considering in the past Clint was adamant that Avengers didn't kill. The story seemed to indicate that Clint was driven to an extreme, but is that a legitimate excuse?) Furthermore, I really appreciated how the New Avengers found themselves in such a weak position. Constantly hiding, the threat of capture ever present, these New Avengers were the underdogs. In a way, it reminded me of Kang Dynasty.

Honesty one of the stand out moments for me was the appearance of Damian Hellstrom:

The "I don't give a f" attitude, I was marking out hard during his fight against Dormmamu. I don't know how Bendis got me to care about a B-lister like Damian Hellstrom, but he did.

So yes, I dug this little stretch of Bendis' work on the New Avengers. Highly recommended.
    While I abhor Bendis Avengers run, the post Secret Invasion line-up was, IMHO, the most Avengery line-up of his New Avengers run. I mean, you had a big gun in Ms Marvel, a lot of middle tier power with Cage, Spidey and Spider Woman, and a couple of Avengers staples in (A) Captain America and Clint Barton. Plus, the returning Mockingbird to round up the team and occasionally Iron Fist and (ugh!) Wolverine. ,Sadly, as it always seems to be the case with Bendis, it really wasn't used to its full potential. They mostly hung around while other people did the heavy-lifting and got their asses kick by THE HOOD and his gang. At least it wasn't NINJAS! And that last outing against Nefaria, IMHO, showed why Bendis should always stay away from super-heroes. I mean, you take out a guy that has stood against the combined power of the Avengers (with some of its most powerful members present) and the Thunderbolts with bullets, Ms Marvel punching and Wolverine scratching his face, and that is supposed to be genius? Yeah, not for me. Sorry, I digress. I wasn't trying to blow your bubble. I guess Bendis still draws out the worst of me as a comic fan. Still. I liked the line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    While I agree that Waid is a classic writer, his run on Avengers didn't feel that way to me. I can't really explain it, but his run felt off to me somehow. I enjoyed it, but it didn't really hit the right tone of the pre-Disassembled Avengers.
    There are, in my mind, two Waid runs. The All-New, All-Different, which was basically an excuse to introduce the Champions, and I find it awful, and the Replacement Big Guns Avengers (Thorette, Cap Falc and even Iron Doom Man standing in for the big 3, and let's not forget Nadia in the place of Jan), which I actually liked quite a lot, except for the art. That really took me out of the story. I mean, I can see the alure of Del Mundo's art, but it just wasn't for me, and I don't think he was a good fit for Avengers. It distracted from the story instead of adding to it, IMHO. For me, the book would have benefitted much more from a more standard approach to the art. Jesus Siaz was great in the cross-over with the Champions. If only he'd handeled the art since the beginning, I think that series would be considered in higher regard. I liked the line-up (even if I wasn't keeping up with the replacement heroes in their own books), and I liked the interactions, such as Sam and Jane and Nadia and Spidey. Herc and Vizh are also a couple of favorites, although, for me, Vison has lost a lot of what once made him so interesting. Alas, it was too short, ending with the No Surrender Crossover, which was OK in my book. I wish it'd had lasted longer.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 11-29-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True, it does. I always thought Kang had a blue face. With lines down it. Huh, who knew it was a mask of sorts? 11/26/21
    All these years thinking he had a blue face only to now find out he does not. How disappointing!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I have read Avengers 50/750, and it is $10 and is 100 pages of original content. It is no better or worse than the rest of Jason Aaron’s run. I am just happy that an Avengers series has made it to fifty issues with a stable lineup and the same writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I have read Avengers 50/750, and it is $10 and is 100 pages of original content. It is no better or worse than the rest of Jason Aaron’s run. I am just happy that an Avengers series has made it to fifty issues with a stable lineup and the same writer.
    How? the issue doesn't come out for another two days.

I wasn't old when Bendis took over (I was in my twenties) and found his run to be too street level, not at all like the Avengers and hated his dialog. If someone feels that destroying the Avengers is what makes them more appealing, it feels like they just didn't like the Avengers. And maybe just wanted to read something like the Heroes for Hire.

Him ignoring previous canon to destroy the Avengers to implement his own team didn't feel "natural" either. It just felt forced.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 11-29-2021 at 09:43 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I found his stuff to be too edgy and some of it down-right sexist. He was very dated for a modern writer. As a woman, I never appreciated his attitude towards female characters outside of comics by reducing their value to their looks. He even did that on page with Carol. It was all pretty gross and I'm glad that era is over.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I found his stuff to be too edgy and some of it down-right sexist. He was very dated for a modern writer. As a woman, I never appreciated his attitude towards female characters outside of comics by reducing their value to their looks. He even did that on page with Carol. It was all pretty gross and I'm glad that era is over.
    Yeah, basically Carol was there so that everybody would call her a cow during Bendis run.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Yeah, basically Carol was there so that everybody would call her a cow during Bendis run.
    Correction: "fat" cow!

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    How? the issue doesn't come out for another two days.
    I have a subscription and got the issue today at no extra cost.

I'd love to see Jim Zub or Kelly Thompson take a crack at the main title after Aaron.