Page 8 of 58 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

I'll admit, the reveal at the end was a little contrived. It makes sense in a way, but that whole angle has been played out often in fiction. I fully expect that it's a swerve in some way, that Aaron is using some misdirection here. spoilers:
    I figure the Phoenix is playing head games with Thor. She's not really the mom, just some "spiritual" mom or some such, since she had some spiritual fling with Odin. Or some such
    end of spoilers.

In any case, I support what others have said, at least to a degree. If the Phoenix is going to be used, the execution has to be pretty epic. It's got to feel epic and be used in an epic way. I admire Aaron wanting to use the Phoenix, but the way he uses it feels lackluster. As others have said, there's a "milking down" of the character. (I disagree that the Phoenix should strictly be used with the X-Men. Avengers are Earth's mightiest heroes and should handle whatever threatens the Earth.) Plus, there were other parts that confused me. So, what happens when someone loses? They leave the White Room and go back to normal? spoilers:
    Is that what happened with Luke and the others who lost? And why did Shang-Chi lose again? Because he wasn't willing to kill? I mean, wouldn't that exclude Cap too?
    end of spoilers

Still, as watered down, trite, and illogical some parts may seem, I still liked the issue. At the end of the day, I like big fight scenes and comic characters kicking the crap out of one another. Plus, it's cool to see how characters are interacting. Moon Girl working together with Broo was a real treat.

I'm still invested in the storyline and the series. The fight scenes and action are good enough for me.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I enjoy the current Avengers roster but replace Blade with the Scarlet Witch.#WheresWanda.jpg
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I enjoy the current Avengers roster but replace Blade with the Scarlet Witch.#WheresWanda.jpg
    Fot this rooster to actually work for me, you'd need to replace Blade and Ghost Rider with classic Avengers (Hank Pym, Jan, Hawkeye, Wonder Man, Wanda, Vizh, Monica Rambeau, etc...) and you'd also need to bring back smart and sexy She-Hulk. The second rate classic Hulk thing she's got going is really too boring for words.

Peace

So....that is She-Hulk now?

LOL, Aaron gotta' Aaron!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I wouldn't really trust Aaron with Wanda. Or a lot of classic Avengers.

Mighty Member

Blade and Ghost Rider are the only things making this run special. Wouldn't be reading without those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Blade and Ghost Rider are the only things making this run special. Wouldn't be reading without those 2.
    You need a Marvel Knights series
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

I'm all for that. Just don't care for them as Avengers. Some characters I just don't think are a good fit for the Avengers.

Peace

Mighty Member

Disagree. I enjoy when different characters allow for the themes explored in the avengers to shift.

Extraordinary Member

Blade and Ghost Rider may be goofy choices for Avengers but so are a lot of Avengers. Every lineup needs some new people.

The problem with the lineup is that there are almost no rotating spots and that they stick rigidly to the idea that it needs to keep the same six people on the lineup no matter what. Plus of course the whole "the Avengers have to have a Hulk so let's make She-Hulk the Hulk" thing.

Either kick some of the big names off or expand the lineup to allow some of the classic Avengers back on the team. Or both.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Blade and Ghost Rider may be goofy choices for Avengers but so are a lot of Avengers. Every lineup needs some new people.

The problem with the lineup is that there are almost no rotating spots and that they stick rigidly to the idea that it needs to keep the same six people on the lineup no matter what. Plus of course the whole "the Avengers have to have a Hulk so let's make She-Hulk the Hulk" thing.

Either kick some of the big names off or expand the lineup to allow some of the classic Avengers back on the team. Or both.
    Well Blade's spot was supposed to be rotating. Dr. Strange was there before, and they discussed using the first rotating spot on Blade, but he's just stayed since.

They have rotated the line-up, but only barely. They brought in Black Widow for a mission. This Phoenix arc has them including some previous Avengers too. But to the point, the main team is pretty rigid.

One thing notable - Aaron hasn't used anyone from No Surrender in his Avengers team. That's more than 20 characters! Four of them are back with the X-Men (Rogue, Beast, Sunspot and Cannonball) and one is with the Champions (Unstoppable Wasp) and the Fantastic Four (Human Torch). That still leaves a lot of people available. Including several of those people keep requesting (Scarlet Witch, Vision, Wonder Man, and the older Wasp).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-09-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

When "No Surrender" was announced they said something to the effect that it was a finale to that era of Avengers, and now I see what they meant: they were ending the era of multiple Avengers books/teams and changing to the new model of having one Avengers book with a mostly-unchanging cast.

They did "No Road Home" as a way to get some of the classic Avengers back into circulation, but ever since then it's just been rigid that this Avengers team is the only Avengers team, and anyone not on the team should stay away from Avengers business, even if it's an event like "Empyre" that would seem to call for Vision and Scarlet Witch to be involved.

Hope that Aaron's reing of terror and dictatorship of only one Avengers book ends with Heroes Reborn. I want to read about Avengers again without the cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    When "No Surrender" was announced they said something to the effect that it was a finale to that era of Avengers, and now I see what they meant: they were ending the era of multiple Avengers books/teams and changing to the new model of having one Avengers book with a mostly-unchanging cast.

They did "No Road Home" as a way to get some of the classic Avengers back into circulation, but ever since then it's just been rigid that this Avengers team is the only Avengers team, and anyone not on the team should stay away from Avengers business, even if it's an event like "Empyre" that would seem to call for Vision and Scarlet Witch to be involved.
    I actually prefer the one team only model. Have been wishing for it for a loooong time (be careful with what you wish for), ever since Bendis came on board. But the fluidity of the team is essential to make this work (plus, at least, about ten members, regular and hanger-ons, sticking around for a while). Stacking up the team with big guns that have their own book, and sticking the "development" to a couple of newbies that don't really change in any significant way, is a sure recipe for a boring book.

Peace