Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Kori needs another one of those random minis they keep giving out.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll be honest, I always thought of her as having more Latina features. If I was casting Starfire, that'd be where I go with it. Aside from the curly hair, she's no more Mediterranean than most.

Source: I'm Mediterranean and so is my entire family. lol
    Of course her hair is usually straight nowadays. The big curls were very much a product of the time she debuted - in 1980.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Of course her hair is usually straight nowadays. The big curls were very much a product of the time she debuted - in 1980.
    One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is Tamaraneans with other hair colors / textures. Someone with white hair or jet-black hair leaving a fiery control across the sky? Would straight hair leave a thin line and a giant puffy mane of hair leave a big bold trail? Yes, please. Mix it up! For that matter, do Tamaraneans have different skin colors, as humans do? And are they equally bright as Kory's orange skin? Are there green or purple Tamaraneans? For a lot of alien races, the first one we see (Kory, in this case) sort of sets the tone, and the rest of the race going forward are sort of a giant mono-culture, looking more or less like their family, speaking the same language, sharing the same faith, and having the same physical traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is Tamaraneans with other hair colors / textures. Someone with white hair or jet-black hair leaving a fiery control across the sky? Would straight hair leave a thin line and a giant puffy mane of hair leave a big bold trail? Yes, please. Mix it up! For that matter, do Tamaraneans have different skin colors, as humans do? And are they equally bright as Kory's orange skin? Are there green or purple Tamaraneans? For a lot of alien races, the first one we see (Kory, in this case) sort of sets the tone, and the rest of the race going forward are sort of a giant mono-culture, looking more or less like their family, speaking the same language, sharing the same faith, and having the same physical traits.
    Media usually makes Blackfire's hair darker instead of just red like Kori, and the comics have reflected that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Actually, in the 1st issue of the New Teen Titans, Baxter version, there was a two page interlude on Tamaran, where while the skin tone was the same golden tone as seen on Kory, there were several different hair colours (white, gray, blonde, brown, black, etc.) and hair textures shown. Then, in the last arc of the New Titans book, Kory's very short-term husband, Gemeral Ph'yzzon, was shown to have a much deeper red tone to his skin. So there have been Tamaraneans shown with different skin tones and hair types.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I kind of like them all being the same in skin tone and maybe varying the hair texture. The younger you are the curlier the hair that lets off more fire as you fly, the older you get the fire slowly starts to go out. Sort of a way to tell their lifespan. Maybe different regions/tribes/kingdoms have different flame colors to help differentiate them.

Extraordinary Member

This new season of titans looks like the most promising thing for Kori in decades

I would love a Donna and Kori comic series sense the two were close friend. I do wonder how long it takes Kori to do her hair when they bring back her fluffy hair.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 06-05-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    This new season of titans looks like the most promising thing for Kori in decades
    Well, she and her sister are supposed to be a big part of it and seem to be the only ones getting new, cool, costumes, so you'd hope...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, she and her sister are supposed to be a big part of it and seem to be the only ones getting new, cool, costumes, so you'd hope...
    They say that but the red hood plot seems bigger

I'm curious do you guys think Starfire has enough materiel to have her own animated film?

Like a solo animated movie?

Sure. She has an entire alien world in Tamaran, she has an evil sister, she has plenty of normal human love interests and then you have the 'fish-out-of-water' element when she arrives on earth. There is also the Gordanians, the Vega system which Tamaran is situated in and the various extra terrestrials in that galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Like a solo animated movie?

Sure. She has an entire alien world in Tamaran, she has an evil sister, she has plenty of normal human love interests and then you have the 'fish-out-of-water' element when she arrives on earth. There is also the Gordanians, the Vega system which Tamaran is situated in and the various extra terrestrials in that galaxy.
    They can even go to the "Blackfire isn't evil but misguided" road they picked since New 52, which makes her far more complex and make the relationship between the Kory and her a lot more poignant.

I actually think the whole Blackfire isn't evil but misguided makes her far less complex, and was just a cop out. Them being afraid of having a woman be a bad guy. So they introduced that trope.
    Thing is it doesn’t make her a good, but now she’s not bad either. Leaving them with a middle of the road character there is now nothing to really do with.

Bad guys serve a purpose. It’s an important function. Bad guys can excel at being bad guys. Taking that away, or softening that, is often a disservice to that character and their ability to continue to function in an important role. But the new 52 was just impulse writing by quite frankly a poor writer, looking for easy appeasement for the story at hand, but no actual thought on how it then effects the character going forward and their ability to function. So they went down a road they too often go down with female villains.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-07-2021 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I actually think the whole Blackfire isn't evil but misguided makes her far less complex, and was just a cop out. Them being afraid of having a woman be a bad guy. So they introduced that trope.
    Thing is it doesn’t make her a good, but now she’s not bad either. Leaving them with a middle of the road character there is now nothing to really do with. Bad guys serve a purpose. It’s an important function. Bad guys can excel at being bad guys. Taking that away, or softening that, is often a disservice to that character and their ability to continue to function in an important role.
    But the new 52 was just impulse writing by quite frankly a poor writer, looking for easy appeasement for the story at hand but no actual thought on how it then effects the character going forward and their ability to function. So they went dow a road they too often go down with female villains.
    Bad guys do serve a purpose. As do neutral or supporting characters.

And I don't get why people keep singling out female villains for this criticism. They do this with male villains just as often.